SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:10 PM
SageTVaholic

I suppose the EPG could be changed to use a .Timer instead, which I think is at least partially measured by the system clock, It does seem odd to try to get a thread to sleep for 24 hours anyway.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-22-2017, 06:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I suppose the EPG could be changed to use a .Timer instead, which I think is at least partially measured by the system clock, It does seem odd to try to get a thread to sleep for 24 hours anyway.
It's not really a problem to sleep a thread you're not using at the moment. In fact unless it's in a pool, it's probably a good idea. If we use a ReentrantLock instead, we can then use a Condition to actually wait for a specific time. I played around with this a few months ago and it's incredibly accurate.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 PM
Sage Expert

Good news, the EPG updated on it's own today! It updated at 12:24pm. Doing some rough math in my head, I would say that's pretty close to 24 hours of server "awake" time since I forced the update on Thursday.

But I'm positive this isn't how it worked on my old Windows 7 server, and I have the logs to prove it.

I went through some of my backups and I found a log from a few weeks ago from my old Windows 7 server. I've attached the log to this message (I had to split it up due to file size restrictions).

The first EPG update in the log occurs at Mon 7/3 16:20:14.807, and then almost exactly 24 hours later it updates again at Tue 7/4 16:20:51.794.

The server was asleep for at least 16 hours during this time period. You can see a large time gap in the log between Monday night and Tuesday afternoon when the computer was sleeping. Yet, despite it being asleep for such a long time, it still updated 24 hours after the previous update.

I'm not crazy after all

Could the Java wait timeout be working differently on Windows 10? That's about the only thing I can think of.

Edit: I think this might be the problem? It seems like a Windows 10 problem. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...3-sleep-status
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1st half.zip (566.4 KB, 249 views)
File Type: zip 2nd half.zip (580.6 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by peternm22; 07-22-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
You can make it so that it starts same time each day.
Need the sagetv web ui installed
Then Windows task scheduler to run a bat file
Bat file does a wget to the sagetv web ui with the command to force epg update
Not at home so can't give the exact command
Please don't do that unless absolutely needed. If you do need to do it, pick a random hour/minute/second... avoiding the first 10 minutes of every hour.

Due to a MythTV bug (not fixed on many systems), I need to spin up a bunch of servers to deal with huge loads at 2am in various time zones. SageTV uses different servers, but the idea is the same.. most people set scheduled jobs to run at the top of the hour)

Robert
Schedules Direct / XMLTV
Old 07-30-2017, 05:03 PM
Sage Icon

I'm getting this error in the log on updating EPG:
Code:
Sun 7/30 23:50:57.838 [EPG@14b964] SDEPG Unable to perform bulk lookup: sage.epg.sd.SDException: SAGETV_COMMUNICATION_ERROR
Any idea what's causing it?

Also, anyone using VM not got listings for the two new sports channels, Sky Sports Football HD and Sky Sports Arena HD?
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 07-30-2017, 05:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
I'm getting this error in the log on updating EPG:
Code:
Sun 7/30 23:50:57.838 [EPG@14b964] SDEPG Unable to perform bulk lookup: sage.epg.sd.SDException: SAGETV_COMMUNICATION_ERROR
Any idea what's causing it?

Also, anyone using VM not got listings for the two new sports channels, Sky Sports Football HD and Sky Sports Arena HD?
If I recall, that entry you're seeing is only possible when it's trying to do lookups for editorials (recommendations). It uses ID's that might not exist and it can make Schedules Direct unhappy causing it to return nothing for any of the requested ID's, so when that happens, it looks them up one by one instead.

Edit: To your second question. I have observed this since I first used SageTV. Any time I get a new channel it's always No Data for the first day. I used to think it had something to do with how the SageTV EPG server works, but seeing this happen with Schedules Direct makes me think there's something in the code that needs to be fixed since a second pass usually pulls in the missing guide data. It's hard to witness this since it's not like I get new channels every day, but it's also possible that there's nothing other than a new channel for the first 24 hours in most cases and the actual schedule comes in on the Schedules Direct side later.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 07-30-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
If I recall, that entry you're seeing is only possible when it's trying to do lookups for editorials (recommendations). It uses ID's that might not exist and it can make Schedules Direct unhappy causing it to return nothing for any of the requested ID's, so when that happens, it looks them up one by one instead.
Thanks. Will it take a long time to finish in that case? Still showing next update in 0.00 hours.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 07-30-2017, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Thanks. Will it take a long time to finish in that case? Still showing next update in 0.00 hours.
When that happens, it takes a lot longer to finish because it can't do large batches.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
By chance, do you have evilpenguins Playon plugin installed? That plugin will force an old UI.
Thanks, but nope, Evilpenguins Playon plugin isn't installed. All plugins were removed during troubleshooting.

I'm back now after an extended absence and able to focus on this issue.

I've been considering uninstalling all versions of STV and reinstalling both v7 and v9 again.

As I recall, the following files should be backed up and replace the installed versions:

Sage.properties, Wiz.bin, Wiz.bak
Any others?

I found a copy of SageTV_V7_1_9Setup.exe installer, dated 2/14/2012, as well as Replacement v7 executables. The Replacement v7 zip files (SageTV.exe, SageTVService.exe) are dated 3/20/2012, but the executables within are dated 6/23/2011.

Can't remember if the Replacement files preceded or followed the V7.1.9 install. In my case, if I use them at all, they will follow the install.
Should I be using another v7 installer?

Thoughts on this idea?
Old 08-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
The file should be SageTV.xml, not htm (unless you typo'd there). It's 12.9MB.

Make sure there are NO other copies of that file on your C: drive. Some others have had issues with installations in "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

At some point, your best bet may be to copy your wiz.bin and sage.properties out to a backup spot, uninstall everything and then reinstall clean, replacing those after.

Edit: You can also try moving those backup STV's out of there (the ones with _2012031001, etc.). I don't know if sage will choose one of those under certain circumstances. Another user in the "guide data until 7/30" thread now has your issues too.
I was catching up, starting from newest posts, and responded to a later comment in which I asked if your above recommendation to uninstall/reinstall is a good idea. Confirmation!

Before I reinstall, comments on the suitability of my v7 installer, (SageTV_V7_1_9Setup.exe), would be appreciated. Is there a newer one I should be using?

And yes, it was my typo on .xml. I confirmed that only one SageTV.xml exists on C: drive. See attached. But my installed version, and downloaded github version is larger than 12.9MB. Windows Explorer shows 13,226KB and 13,022KB, respectively. I'll also try moving out the ones with _2012031001, etc., and let you know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SageTV7.xml File.pdf (231.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Are you sure you're dealing with the right folder? Something is definitely not right if dropping in the SageTV7.xml file from github is still showing that 2 year old UI.
I believe so.

STV7/9 is installed here: C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\STVs\SageTV7

C:\Program Files used to have an old SageTV folder with .png/.jpg files but no executables. I've since renamed the folder.

sageclient.properties shows: STV=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\SageTV\\SageTV\\STVs\\SageTV7\\SageTV7.xml

This folder contains my renamed/replaced install v9 SageTV7.xml and was replaced with the github SageTV7.xml. They are slightly different sizes, 13,226KB and 13,022KB, respectively, with current date stamps.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bott3322 View Post
I believe so.

STV7/9 is installed here: C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\STVs\SageTV7

C:\Program Files used to have an old SageTV folder with .png/.jpg files but no executables. I've since renamed the folder.

sageclient.properties shows: STV=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\SageTV\\SageTV\\STVs\\SageTV7\\SageTV7.xml

This folder contains my renamed/replaced install v9 SageTV7.xml and was replaced with the github SageTV7.xml. They are slightly different sizes, 13,226KB and 13,022KB, respectively, with current date stamps.
And you are running the Sagetv service as your server? If you are not, and are running SageTV.exe standalone, then it would not be using SageClient.properties, and instead would use the UI settings in Sage.properties.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Sage User

Quote:
And you are running the Sagetv service as your server? If you are not, and are running SageTV.exe standalone, then it would not be using SageClient.properties, and instead would use the UI settings in Sage.properties.
I'm running standalone SageTV.exe.
Sage.properties: --> STV=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\SageTV\\SageTV\\STVs\\SageTV7\\SageTV7.xml

This is the same STV path to SageTV7.xml as listed in SageClient.properties.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
The file should be SageTV.xml, not htm (unless you typo'd there). It's 12.9MB.

Make sure there are NO other copies of that file on your C: drive. Some others have had issues with installations in "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

At some point, your best bet may be to copy your wiz.bin and sage.properties out to a backup spot, uninstall everything and then reinstall clean, replacing those after.

Edit: You can also try moving those backup STV's out of there (the ones with _2012031001, etc.). I don't know if sage will choose one of those under certain circumstances. Another user in the "guide data until 7/30" thread now has your issues too.
The problem has been fixed!

I removed the backup SageTV7.xml files (the ones with _2012031001, etc.) as wnjj suggested, and tried to setup the video sources again. This time, the option to access Schedules Direct was present. I then proceeded to set up my two tuners and re-install plug-ins. Everything is now working as before the v9 upgrade, except now EPG data is present!

As a test, I deleted the two video sources again, returned the set of old backup SageTV7.xml files to their original location, rebooted, and setup video sources again. It did not revert back to its broken condition, and in fact did provide me the option to choose Schedules Direct as a setup option. I then proceeded to successfully setup video sources as before.

My conclusions? Well, I have little confidence that the problem ever had anything to do with the presence or absence of backed up STV xml files in the same folder as the newly installed SageTV7.xml file. There is nothing that I am aware of doing which either caused or fixed this problem.

There was a period of about ten days from when I first installed STV v9, and encountered the problem, until I could get back to troubleshooting again. During that time, my Schedules Direct 7-day trial had expired. So, one of the first things I had to do when resuming troubleshooting was pay for a year of SD service.

Could the absence of a SD paid account possibly prevent SageTV from presenting the STV Schedules Direct setup option during video source setup?

This really makes no sense to me....
But I am glad to be back up and running!

Appreciation to wnjj, fuzzy, and others who helped with questions, comments, and suggestions.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Sage User

New Sage install - can't communicate with SD

Hi,

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04, SageTV 9.1.7 and OpenDCT 0.5.28-1. I opened up the Sage client from my laptop and am configuring tuner 0 of my HDHR Prime. I choose "Use Schedules Direct Guide Data with this Source" and it immediately returns "There was a problem communicating with the Schedules Direct server".

I'm not running ufw or any other firewall or iptables on the Ubuntu box. My existing Sage install, 9.1.5 on Windows 7, is using Schedules Direct just fine (I have a subscription to SD).

I used these instructions to install Sage:

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62985

and these to install OpenDCT

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...21&postcount=1

Not sure what to check considering I don't have a firewall on the Ubuntu server. If some piece for some reason requires the firewall running I can do that, but I haven't read anything to indicate that.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2017, 09:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprichardson1 View Post
Hi,

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04, SageTV 9.1.7 and OpenDCT 0.5.28-1. I opened up the Sage client from my laptop and am configuring tuner 0 of my HDHR Prime. I choose "Use Schedules Direct Guide Data with this Source" and it immediately returns "There was a problem communicating with the Schedules Direct server".

I'm not running ufw or any other firewall or iptables on the Ubuntu box. My existing Sage install, 9.1.5 on Windows 7, is using Schedules Direct just fine (I have a subscription to SD).

I used these instructions to install Sage:

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62985

and these to install OpenDCT

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...21&postcount=1

Not sure what to check considering I don't have a firewall on the Ubuntu server. If some piece for some reason requires the firewall running I can do that, but I haven't read anything to indicate that.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!
Can you ping json.schedulesdirect.org from the your SageTV server?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Sage User

Yup, I can ping json.schedulesdirect.org. For the heck of it I downloaded the Linux client and ran it on one of my other Linux boxes. After connecting to my new server I was able to get the EPG set up. I don't know if it is/was a problem with the client on my win7 laptop or something within DNS fixed itself (or some other unknown cure).

Anyway, I'm off and running again. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

I posted this in the general EPG forum but maybe should have posted this in this thread because it's related to Schedules Direct? Either way, I'll post it here too just in case

----------
Hey Guys,

Been using Schedules Direct for long enough now that I've paid for it twice Just today I noticed zero new shows coming up to be recorded. Went to the Guide and everything is No Data. I haven't changed anything nor updated anything. I've rebooted. Still the same. I have no idea how to even begin to troubleshoot this. I did see where another user lost their guide data as well for no apparent reason and restored off an old image.

I'd be happy to provide any info that might help but not sure what you are looking for. I'm up to date on all software and plugins (and haven't updated anything recently). Running Windows 10. I can still watch live TV just by telling Sage to watch one of the No Data programs and whatever is on that channel does come up so TV and tuners are working OK...just no guide data.

Thanks for any help!

I'm going to hold off on trying any of that stuff mentioned in the other recent thread because none of it seemed to help and I don't want to "reset" things if I have something that might help figure out what is going wrong.

The Info page shows EPG data being updated a little more than 12 hours ago too FYI.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage Icon

Suddenly almost all of my EPG data is showing "No Data" --> there are a couple channels that show data (2-3 max)

My Schedule Direct account is fine...

I have tried to refresh the data to no avail... almost 24 hours later and still the same.

How do I fix this?

Running SageTV 9.0.14 ... do I need to upgrade?
Old 03-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage Icon

I don’t think the Sage version should matter - no changes in Sage related to SD in a long time. More likely a problem with Schedules Direct. I’ve seen a few posts here from time to time where SD drops or renames a particular lineup to something slightly different. This of course only affects the handful of people using that particular lineup. You may have to tell Sage to use a “new” lineup and then go through the process of setting up the lineup in Sage again.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR