SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage Icon

NO DATA - EPG

Just installed a brand new standalone version of 9.1.10 and configured SD EPG... getting same "NO DATA" on the EPG. (see attached)

Please advise....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no data epg.JPG (115.5 KB, 284 views)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage Icon

turned on the SD debug:

debug_sd=true

found it loading data... and it finally finished properly (see attached)

my main installation also seems to be loading some info... but not the whole EPG..?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epg data.JPG (187.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I don’t think the Sage version should matter - no changes in Sage related to SD in a long time. More likely a problem with Schedules Direct. I’ve seen a few posts here from time to time where SD drops or renames a particular lineup to something slightly different. This of course only affects the handful of people using that particular lineup. You may have to tell Sage to use a “new” lineup and then go through the process of setting up the lineup in Sage again.
From that old of a version (9.0.14) there have been some SD changes, one in particular that was causing null pointer exceptions.

Try an EPG update, then look in the sagetv_0.txt log file for errors (or post it on here).

EDIT: Didn't see the OP's later posts before writing this. Disregard.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
turned on the SD debug:

debug_sd=true

found it loading data... and it finally finished properly (see attached)

my main installation also seems to be loading some info... but not the whole EPG..?
SageTV doesn't do some activities until after the EPG update such as filling in all of the gaps with No Data. What stations are missing? I should be able to tell what's happening from the sdmd5sched file. sd_epg.log could also be helpful, but based on what you're saying about it finishing successfully, it's probably not going to reveal anything I can't reproduce myself.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 03-12-2019, 02:01 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the quick responses.

The EPG data remained at "No data" for almost 24 hours... During that time I attempted to force multiple manual EPG updates (toggling the channel assignments)... I also completely removed the old SD lineup and redid it ... but nothing seemed to resolve the issue.

I ended up purging my 9.0.14 installation then installing 9.1.10 and reloading my configuration. That seems to have worked fine. Now the EPG data is complete. When I imported my old wiz.bin it initially showed "no data" but it quickly resolved itself...

I have a second installation on 9.0.14... it too started suddenly is encountering the same issue at the same time. If I install 9.1.10 directly over it (upgrade) will / should that achieve the same result as starting from scratch?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
Thanks for the quick responses.

The EPG data remained at "No data" for almost 24 hours... During that time I attempted to force multiple manual EPG updates (toggling the channel assignments)... I also completely removed the old SD lineup and redid it ... but nothing seemed to resolve the issue.

I ended up purging my 9.0.14 installation then installing 9.1.10 and reloading my configuration. That seems to have worked fine. Now the EPG data is complete. When I imported my old wiz.bin it initially showed "no data" but it quickly resolved itself...

I have a second installation on 9.0.14... it too started suddenly is encountering the same issue at the same time. If I install 9.1.10 directly over it (upgrade) will / should that achieve the same result as starting from scratch?
Just an FYI, but EPG updates take several hours to filter into the scheduled recordings on my system and have for a long time, probably longer than I remember since I wasn't looking for it.
For instance I'll get a notice shortly after an EPG update saying that 'xx' manual recording will no longer record program 'yy', the new program is 'zz', be it either a different program or even something that doesn't say what it is since the manual times don't match the EPG. However if I go to the recordings schedule and call up the program info it will show the new program name, however if it was for a favorite it will still show the favorite icon as well as if you go to the recording options it will still show the "favorite" even though the EPG data shows the correct new program.
After an hour or two everything will settle down and the EPG data and recordings schedule will agree.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:48 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure if EnterNoEscape is still maintaining the SD EPG grabber.

If not, is there anyone else interested in taking a look at the code?

One of the issues with Crash goes the extender(s) is that the series info images (and probably other images) being grabbed from SD are among the largest ones available, instead of smaller thumbnail-sized versions that SD provides. Many of the show images in SageTV are larger than the entire size allocated to the TV screen & end up needing to be greatly reduced in size when displayed in that small area in the upper right corner of the screen. I've emailed with rkulagow, the SD rep here, and he has shown me listings of images available for some of the shows & there are definitely smaller one that could be downloaded instead.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post

One of the issues with Crash goes the extender(s) is that the series info images (and probably other images) being grabbed from SD are among the largest ones available, instead of smaller thumbnail-sized versions that SD provides. Many of the show images in SageTV are larger than the entire size allocated to the TV screen & end up needing to be greatly reduced in size when displayed in that small area in the upper right corner of the screen. I've emailed with rkulagow, the SD rep here, and he has shown me listings of images available for some of the shows & there are definitely smaller one that could be downloaded instead.

Andy
This sounds like the same issue that Jeff fixed a month or so back: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=39

Edit: Oops, just reread your post, Jeff's fix resizes the image that is being grabbed, sounds like you are referring to getting a smaller image from SD so that either no resizing needs to happen, or less resizing (and therefore less bandwidth required).
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls

Last edited by KeithAbbott; 05-08-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: My Bad
Old 05-08-2021, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Yes - I helped test Jeff's changes before they were posted there, and while those changes stopped the crashes & helped some other things, I'm still running into extender UI slowdowns which might benefit from both a) downloading smaller images (this topic) and b) just not displaying show images at all (the other topic).

Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I stopped displaying images and Icons because it slowed down the Android MiniClients ...

Old 05-08-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I stopped displaying images and Icons because it slowed down the Android MiniClients ...
Is that a universal setting on the server for all clients?

I noticed on many of my Android phone/tablet devices, the miniclient is irredeemably slow and I could never figure out why. Only on my Nvidia Shield is it workable.

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 05-08-2021, 12:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post

I noticed on many of my Android phone/tablet devices, the miniclient is irredeemably slow and I could never figure out why. Only on my Nvidia Shield is it workable.
No I did with with a GeneratedThumbnails symlink.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post

No I did with with a GeneratedThumbnails symlink on my server.. But it works on al clients
Old 05-08-2021, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
No I did with with a GeneratedThumbnails symlink on my server.. But it works on al clients
Got it, figured something like that was how you were doing it.

I actually enjoy the thumbnails and channel logos while watching on my server. Too bad you have to neuter that to get the miniclients to behave.

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 05-08-2021, 01:20 PM
Administrator

I would really like to get back to the point of this topic:
Quote:

Old 05-08-2021, 01:50 PM
Sage Icon

Do you know what is needed to grab the smaller thumbnails? Is it a matter of tweaking a path/filename or does it require some kind of intelligence or pulling properties? I can hack my way around in Java some but am pretty unfamiliar with the SD download methods.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I'm not entirely sure. I was once going to be writing the EPG grabber, but then found I had lost just about all interest in programming.

The available images are in a json list & the appropriate one(s) could be chosen from that data, but I have to admit that I haven't looked at the SD code in SageTV's github to see how it is getting the images it uses currently.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:50 PM
Administrator

I'm recovering from my 2nd covid vaccine and browsed through the SD grabber code... the images are processed in SDImages.java. I'm more likely to work on the STV than I am to figure out if I still have a java development installation, but there's at least the start of tracking it down.

Edit: looks like it is grabbing the medium and large images, where it should probably grab the smaller ones.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm recovering from my 2nd covid vaccine and browsed through the SD grabber code... the images are processed in SDImages.java. I'm more likely to work on the STV than I am to figure out if I still have a java development installation, but there's at least the start of tracking it down.

Edit: looks like it is grabbing the medium and large images, where it should probably grab the smaller ones.
I see that in the code, however large is only up to 1920 in the largest dimension. The image that was crashing the extender was 3840x2160 so I’m not even sure how it got through. Maybe a size check is needed in another code branch?
Old 05-09-2021, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I didn't post it here last night, but I also figured it might need an actual size check, in case the size codes mean different things for different shows.

For example, the people pics, farther down, look for the smallest and largest, by actual size.