SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Sage Expert

HDMI Audio boost?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but worth a shot in asking.

The Audio output via HDMI from our HD200 is well below the audio level of the other input sources used on the TV set.

Is there something, somewhere, either on the HD200, or on SageTV9 that could be used to give a uniform "audio boost" on the output heading for the TV set? Much preferable to having to manually move the TV audio setting from 30-something for everything else and up into the 70's for Sage. (Even with SageTV's volume slider maxed out)

People are getting tired of being blasted out of the room when they forget to turn the volume back down after going into Sage.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Do you have Sage set to bitstream output?

What's your capture source? If it's analog audio, it might be a capture problem. Otherwise if it's a digital capture, there's no reason the volume should be that different.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have several HD200 & HD300 hooked up to my TV's via HDMI. Over the years I've used both Windows and now Ubuntu, and HDHomeRun Prime. I've always experienced a very large volume level difference between SageTV and any other source. I've learned to live with it, but if it's my setup I'd love to fix it.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Sage Icon

Same here. When my kids change the TV input to the Wii, it will blow your ears away if you don't turn it down first.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Same thing here if I change from Sage to TV - ear shattering. But, in SageTV, I sometimes have to have the volume set to maximum.

HDMI using Digital PCM (no difference with Digital Bitstream)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not sure this helps with extenders;
I use a Windows client and I can go into the AC3 setup and increase the gain (if your using a different CODEC you should be able to go into that CODEC's setup).

I suppose if your using extenders you can try the same on the Sage Server. I suspect that would only help the client running on the Server.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Do you have Sage set to bitstream output?

What's your capture source? If it's analog audio, it might be a capture problem. Otherwise if it's a digital capture, there's no reason the volume should be that different.
Not bitstreaming, and the not 100% success rate for that kind of fails that option anyhow.

Capture is all digital, and has been for years. Ceton/OpenDCT for the CableTV content and HDHomeruns for the OTA content over ATSC.

Edit to add: The issue also doesn't seem to be the recordings themselves, as those same files, once they've been moved over onto Plex, play back just like everything else volume wise.

So it seems to be something about how SageTV is handling playback which is causing the volume drop.

Last edited by Monedeath; 12-08-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Well if you're not bitstreaming Sage has to decode the audio and can apply volume correction.

I have HD300's at all TVs, bitstreaming to AVRs, recording from HDHRs, and the volume from Sage is fundamentally exactly the same as every other source I use.

I don't know what you mean about "not 100% success rate".
Old 12-09-2017, 11:23 PM
Sage Expert

Wow, I experience the same issue with the volume. That really strains the WAF.

I am also using an HD200 on all my TV's in the house. (300 in the RV)

Can someone refer me to a thread where is explains how to change this?

Thanks, Bill
Old 12-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

My capture is digital and has been for years also. The low volume is only with recordings. Imported videos play like any other source-much louder then a recording.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I have somewhat low volume on recordings. With my HD-PVRs that can be somewhat fixed by turning up the volume on the cable box. You wouldn't think this should make a difference when using spdif as the audio connection, but it does.

But audio is also low on OTA recordings which seems strange to me.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Sage User

I have an odd problem with HD200's vs Client, not low volume but NO volume. Recordings from HDPVR (optical in) sometimes won't play with sound on the HD200 but work just fine on the Client the server runs on. Tried PCM and bitstream. Oddly, yet again, is that I do notice a bit of clicking from my receiver which I think is it switching between 'normal' and fancy decoded stuff (Dolby-like). For example it happens most often at commercial breaks but also at other times. I've wondered if that may be part of the problem. I've looked at recording details and have been surprised to see that the same program is often recorded airing to airing with different audio settings.

Ken
Old 10-18-2018, 10:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've accidently found a solution if anyone still has the problem of different volume levels on the HD300 and the TV (i.e., low in the extender, screaming loud on the TV if one switches over).

I bought a new universal remote from Amazon - the OARUSB04G
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the setup (JP1 RMIR) there is a setting for volume punch through and I set both HD300 and TV to TV just to see what it did. it's amazing - I have the HD300 itself set to the loudest volume possible and the volume control goes through the TV.

There is now no more deafening volume when I switch from extender to TV - the volume remains the same. AND you can adjust the volume on the HD300 even before starting a playback.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

i don't understand how this works. Does this remote control the Extender? I am using an HD200 in the Family room and like everyone else, i have to have the volume turned way up on my Sonos. If i switch to another source, i get blasted out. Do i need to make any changes to the SageTV UI settings on the HD200?

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 02-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I have my HD300 extender, TV and STB as devices on this remote. I used the JP1 RMIR software to set up each device (the remote I mentioned can handle 4 devices) and then enabled the punch-through. Here's a link to the JP1 RMIR (Remote Master)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde..._RM-IR_Version

and the downloads:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...gory&cat_id=81

I don't miss broken ear-drums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post
i don't understand how this works. Does this remote control the Extender? I am using an HD200 in the Family room and like everyone else, i have to have the volume turned way up on my Sonos. If i switch to another source, i get blasted out. Do i need to make any changes to the SageTV UI settings on the HD200?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks, so does this work by attenuating the TV audio to match the output form the HD300/HD200? My LG TV feeds a SONOS soundbase viia optical and i can't remeover if the TV can even control the volume to the Soundbase. I basically leave it at a fixed volume and use the extender remote to change Sage's volume. I have a sony remote that works as a soundbase volume controller.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime