SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Cable modems and Sage/streaming - what’s good?

Hey all. Looking to buy a cable modem. Docsis 3.0 or 3.1 (i.e., how long until 3.1 is the norm)?

8x4 or 16x4?

Include wifi or not necessary?

phone jacks?

I’ll be getting phone service from Vonage, after dumping Cox.

I have a decent, Asus N wifi router as well

Any brand advice, thumbs up, thumbs down, comments etc.welcome
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 AM

You could always pickup a Asus CM-16 Cable Modem or all in one unit CM-32 Combos Modem/Router or could pickup a Arris Cable Modem

Just say away from the Intel Puma 6 chipset Cable Modem you could always stop by dlsreports.com and check with other there by ISP

You can get DOCSIS 3.1 now but there not cheap can set back $200 give or take a few bucks on up.
List look for some or just reg Cable Modem where other are Combos Modem/Router and one is EMTA (Telephony Modem)
Arris CM8200, SB8200 and TM3402
Motorola MB8600
Netgear C7800, CM1000
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
You could always pickup a Asus CM-16 Cable Modem or all in one unit CM-32 Combos Modem/Router or could pickup a Arris Cable Modem

Just say away from the Intel Puma 6 chipset Cable Modem you could always stop by dlsreports.com and check with other there by ISP

You can get DOCSIS 3.1 now but there not cheap can set back $200 give or take a few bucks on up.
List look for some or just reg Cable Modem where other are Combos Modem/Router and one is EMTA (Telephony Modem)
Arris CM8200, SB8200 and TM3402
Motorola MB8600
Netgear C7800, CM1000
Good info, thanks. With Docsis 3.1, do you need to subscribe to special, gigabit service for that to be useful? Not even sure if my area is wired for that yet
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Good info, thanks. With Docsis 3.1, do you need to subscribe to special, gigabit service for that to be useful? Not even sure if my area is wired for that yet
That will depend on your cable company. They are likely not DOCSIS 3.1 yet but if your modem can handle that then you future-proof yourself. The Arris DOCSIS 3.1 modem can do DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 .

I would not recommend a combined modem-router unless you really value simplicity above functionality. But if you thought like that then you wouldn't have SageTV in the first place.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
That will depend on your cable company. They are likely not DOCSIS 3.1 yet but if your modem can handle that then you future-proof yourself. The Arris DOCSIS 3.1 modem can do DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 .

I would not recommend a combined modem-router unless you really value simplicity above functionality. But if you thought like that then you wouldn't have SageTV in the first place.
There nothing wrong with combined modem-router they are just fine like a Asus and possible even Netgear (Even if it not my first chose) is find just not Arris, TP-Link, Linksys and other combined modem-router which to lack any adv features

Which why I like Asus it pack with all kind adv features and you take up a notch with Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There nothing wrong with combined modem-router they are just fine like a Asus and possible even Netgear (Even if it not my first chose) is find just not Arris, TP-Link, Linksys and other combined modem-router which to lack any adv features

Which why I like Asus it pack with all kind adv features and you take up a notch with Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware.
but Arris cable modems are aok? I read lots of good reviews on most of these, but they are not wifi routers as well.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Arris is the new name for Motorola and it is generally well though of.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Does Asus make a combined cable modem / router? I haven't seen them if they do. I used to use an Asus modem with Merlin firmware and I agree that is quite a good solution. Netgear does make some but do you have direct experience with them?

The other issue with these devices is that when people say "router" they often mean "router+WAP+switch". It depends on the size and layout of your house but in many instances the ideal location for a cable modem, and the rest of your networking equipment, if not a good spot for a WAP. In my instance I have my ethernet cabling terminated in a corner of my basement where the cable and phone lines enter my house. This is where I have my router, phone adapter, switch, cable modem, etc - but this is a horrible spot to put a WAP.

I have grown fond of the Ubiquiti Unifi line of products. They are a little more expensive but give you a more integrated way of managing your LAN, especially if you need multiple WAPs like I do. The Unifi line also includes routers and switches and the Unifi Controller software gives you a nice integrated view of your entire network and all the devices on it.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
but Arris cable modems are aok? I read lots of good reviews on most of these, but they are not wifi routers as well.
The reg SB(Model Number) are fine there just network bridge or getaway.
There all-in-one combined modem-router there label as SBG and SVG(Model Number) aok in lack of adv features even SBR line is a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Does Asus make a combined cable modem / router? I haven't seen them if they do. I used to use an Asus modem with Merlin firmware and I agree that is quite a good solution. Netgear does make some but do you have direct experience with them?

The other issue with these devices is that when people say "router" they often mean "router+WAP+switch". It depends on the size and layout of your house but in many instances the ideal location for a cable modem, and the rest of your networking equipment, if not a good spot for a WAP. In my instance I have my ethernet cabling terminated in a corner of my basement where the cable and phone lines enter my house. This is where I have my router, phone adapter, switch, cable modem, etc - but this is a horrible spot to put a WAP.

I have grown fond of the Ubiquiti Unifi line of products. They are a little more expensive but give you a more integrated way of managing your LAN, especially if you need multiple WAPs like I do. The Unifi line also includes routers and switches and the Unifi Controller software gives you a nice integrated view of your entire network and all the devices on it.
It in my First Post wayner called CM-32 or Asus AC2600
Ubiquiti is nice if have the funds for them

Last edited by SHS; 02-12-2018 at 03:08 PM.