SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Build a Sage Server Challenge

Murphy has struck. I finally got settled into my new house and ran Cat5 cables to all the places I need wired. I fired up my Sage server and a few hours later it died. I mean dead died. Nothing on the monitor, no beeps when it's powered on, no lights on the mouse or keyboard. Dead. My best guess the the MB or CPU died, the machine is very old. Maybe it's something simple like a dead CMOS battery? I'll replace that tomorrow but given the way it died I'm not hopeful it will help.

Many of you have offered me money over the years, which I have declined. Now here is something you can help me with: Pick out the parts for me to build a new Sage server. It's been years since I've looked at hardware and I just don't have the time now to do my homework. Here are the parameters:

- I have a case, mouse, keyboard, monitor.
- All, or most of the parts should come from one place. Preferably Newegg.
- The server will run Ubuntu Linux. I may try UnRaid with the Docker in the future but it's not my first choice. (Mainly because I don't have the time to learn the quirks of UnRaid/Docker right now. I'm proficient enough in Linux to get the server up and running quickly.)
- The server runs 24x7. Low power usage is a fairly high priority.
- The server is in my office so I'd like it to not be too loud.
- I use a HD HomeRun for video capture. I have a old HVR-2250 that I may use some day, but that's not a high priority since Comcast encrypts everything.
- I have 6 SATA drives. 2 are for recording and the other 4 are used as network storage.
- I prefer the boot drive to be a SSD. (Sage is much more responsive when installed on an SSD.)
- The machine is a dedicated Sage server. Other than some light NAS duty it won't be used for anything else.
- I don't want to have to rob a bank to pay for things

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks!

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Sage Icon

Power supply is the most likely fail point, given you aren’t even getting beeps.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Power supply is the most likely fail point, given you aren’t even getting beeps.
I thought about that too. The led on the motherboard lights up and all the drives spin up. Other than replacing it, how can I test it?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I thought about that too. The led on the motherboard lights up and all the drives spin up. Other than replacing it, how can I test it?

Since there are multiple voltage rails, you could get some lights and drives spinning up but have a problem there. If you have a voltmeter, try what is suggested here: https://rtechsupport.org/kb/mmpsu/
Old 03-04-2018, 10:07 PM
Sage User

I once had a problem with video card slot contacts after a move. Suggest reinstalling the video card.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If you have a voltmeter, try what is suggested here: https://rtechsupport.org/kb/mmpsu/
Using a dedicated "power supply tester" could be an option.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Definitely replace the CMOS battery, then, if you can get to the bios, set it to default. If not, buying a PS tester might be a good gamble, as they’re cheap. If the PS checks out, then the CPU or MB would be next. I bought a used, AMD quad-core, 80w cpu four years ago, and that’s been running my server the last four years. Low power, low heat, less fan noise. An 80 rated, 500w PS should be all you need with those drives, unless the CPU is an eight core or similar and you’re hitting it from many locations simultaneously.
I’m using a small-ish SSD as a boot drive, so I can clone it faster as backup.

https://www.amazon.com/MODEL-Crucial...p_89%3ACrucial

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Sup...y+tester&psc=1

power supply calculator: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-05-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

A few ideas to try before giving up on your current equipment:

1st: Remove components to see if you can get the BIOS to error beep. Remove RAM memory and video card, leave CPU in. A working system will beep in this state, which tells you the BIOS, MB and CPU are functioning and thinking.

2nd: If still no beeps, manually reset the BIOS via the jumper on the motherboard.

3rd: Some motherboards have a BIOS recovery jumper, in case the BIOS is corrupted during a flash update. You could try that as well.

4th: Remove motherboard from case and put on non-conductive surface like cardboard. Perhaps in your move some metal is shorting something out. This is a little more work, but if this fails you are probably putting in a new motherboard anyway.

If you have to buy new:

Since my Sage server is on 24/7 I have been using intel T series chips, the ones with 35W power consumption. Chips like the I7-3770T, up to the i7-7700T. Intel will release a i7-8700T this spring. I try to make my system as cool and as quiet as possible. I also try to save some money on electricity. You could look for a used version of one of these chips and build a system around it.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Still no luck reviving my server. Tried resetting/clearing the CMOS, removing all cards and memory. I don't have a power supply tester but the voltages check out on my multimeter. Oh well.

The challenge is still open. Anybody care to take a shot at building a system?

Old 03-09-2018, 09:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Still no luck reviving my server. Tried resetting/clearing the CMOS, removing all cards and memory. I don't have a power supply tester but the voltages check out on my multimeter. Oh well.

All I can add is that a dual-core system wasn’t powerful enough for remote streaming in my tests. Quad-core AMD has worked fine now for three years or so, accessing it from all over the world. My main goal was to keep the power down, as electricity is expensive in Ca. Three, 4tb drives, one 256gb SSD boot, Colossus 1 and HPPVR 1, onboard Gigabyte graphics.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have a few wish lists at Newegg - here is a recent one from a couple of months ago that I made with the idea of consolidating my SageTV server and my Windows Home Server 2011 (file server) into a single machine with transcoding capabilities (and 10 x 3.5 inch HDD storage) - I was planning on using an SSD that I already have, so that is not included, nor is a Blu-Ray drive since I would run this server headless:

Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans - $87.07
Fractal Design Node 804 Black Window Aluminum/Steel MATX Cube Computer Case - $103.72
ASRock Z370M Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $119.99 w/ rebate
Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630 - $339.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15S-8GVR - $179.98 ($89.99 ea.)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - OEM - $149.99
Old 03-10-2018, 03:41 AM
Sage User

When I upgraded from WHS to UnRaid, I added ssds and upgraded my hard drives and added more ram but kept everything else the same.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecore View Post
I have a few wish lists at Newegg - here is a recent one from a couple of months ago that I made with the idea of consolidating my SageTV server and my Windows Home Server 2011 (file server) into a single machine with transcoding capabilities (and 10 x 3.5 inch HDD storage) - I was planning on using an SSD that I already have, so that is not included, nor is a Blu-Ray drive since I would run this server headless:

Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans - $87.07
Fractal Design Node 804 Black Window Aluminum/Steel MATX Cube Computer Case - $103.72
ASRock Z370M Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $119.99 w/ rebate
Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630 - $339.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15S-8GVR - $179.98 ($89.99 ea.)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - OEM - $149.99
Thanks. I'll look at these items to see if they will fit my needs. To me the CPU choice is the most critical component in determining the overall processing speed and power consumption. What is the rationale for the i7-8700?

Old 03-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

I stick with my T series recommendation. Link to Newegg on 7th gen: LINK

The 8th gen is not out yet.

The TDP of the i7-7700T or i7-8700T is 35 watts. The i7-8700 while faster is 95 watts.

For my Sage server running on a i7-3770T I have no problems. I run sage server, plex server, compskip etc. I'm sure a 7700T would get the job done.

Since you will have 6 mechanical drives also making heat and you gave the request for the system to be more quiet, generating 60 watts less CPU heat will help keep the number of fans and fan speed down.

Sorry your old system seems dead.

Last edited by snipeman; 03-11-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I had the same issue about a month ago on my desktop pc. Went down to Fry's, bought a power supply on sale, plugged it in an all worked. I too had lights working on the MB, and my multi-meter seemed to have the correct voltages on the right pins.

But it was still just the power supply...

Most places, including Fry's will let you bring them back if that isn't the issue. I was very glad I didn't need to bring it back.

-Bill
Old 03-12-2018, 05:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeman View Post
I stick with my T series recommendation. Link to Newegg on 7th gen: LINK

The 8th gen is not out yet.

The TDP of the i7-7700T or i7-8700T is 35 watts. The i7-8700 while faster is 95 watts.

For my Sage server running on a i7-3770T I have no problems. I run sage server, plex server, compskip etc. I'm sure a 7700T would get the job done.

Since you will have 6 mechanical drives also making heat and you gave the request for the system to be more quiet, generating 60 watts less CPU heat will help keep the number of fans and fan speed down.

Sorry your old system seems dead.
Thanks. Here is my first attempt. I picked a pretty cheap motherboard but I think it will do the job. It has 6 SATA ports, onboard graphics, onboard sound and Intel LAN. Critiques are welcome.

I made this a public WishList, hopefully the link works

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/M...ail?ID=5123015

Old 03-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks. I'll look at these items to see if they will fit my needs. To me the CPU choice is the most critical component in determining the overall processing speed and power consumption. What is the rationale for the i7-8700?
I spec'ed this server to be more powerful for air cooled overclocking and OpenDCT transcoding which currently uses x264 and thus does not take advantage of Intel Quick Sync. I helped a friend build a couple of lower end core i5 and core i7 machines and discovered they could only transcode 1 or 2 recordings in real time.

My present builds are only high end core i3 machines because they are not spec'ed for transcoding and a core i3 does fine in this case (even does comskip fairly quick). I do always make sure there is plenty of airflow and cooling (fans) in the case. The actual heat use of a CPU is not typically worst case TDP in a SageTV server so I considered, but dismissed use of the "T" versions.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Link didn't work for me.... what is the name of your public wish list? We can search in Newegg if we knew the name. If it is a generic name, rename it to something with Sage in the title.

Quote:
Thanks. Here is my first attempt. I picked a pretty cheap motherboard but I think it will do the job. It has 6 SATA ports, onboard graphics, onboard sound and Intel LAN. Critiques are welcome.

I made this a public WishList, hopefully the link works

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/M...ail?ID=5123015
Old 03-13-2018, 05:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeman View Post
Link didn't work for me.... what is the name of your public wish list? We can search in Newegg if we knew the name. If it is a generic name, rename it to something with Sage in the title.
tmiranda Sage Build

I have a lot of catching up to do. I just started reading about M.2, pretty cool stuff. Sounds like that will add a lot of performance to the system.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I tried to find your list, but it doesn't show up. I went though the newest 900 public wish lists on Newegg

M.2s are great, I usually make them the boot drive. Don't forget M.2 is just a form factor. There are NVMe and SATA versions. NVME is faster and cost more of course. SATA M.2 will perform at the same speed as any other SATA SSD.

Quote:
tmiranda Sage Build

I have a lot of catching up to do. I just started reading about M.2, pretty cool stuff. Sounds like that will add a lot of performance to the system.