SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeman View Post
I tried to find your list, but it doesn't show up. I went though the newest 900 public wish lists on Newegg

M.2s are great, I usually make them the boot drive. Don't forget M.2 is just a form factor. There are NVMe and SATA versions. NVME is faster and cost more of course. SATA M.2 will perform at the same speed as any other SATA SSD.
Don't know why the list isn't showing

Here is the motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157733

It looks like it's a SATA M.2 which isn't surprising given how cheap the board is. I'll look at some NVME boards with newer chipsets to see how much they cost.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:34 AM
Sage Icon

I just went thru a motherboard upgrade earlier this year. The first thing that I did was decide on the type of cpu that I wanted, as that determines which motherboards to even look at. I went with a 7th generation Intel Core processor, specifically the i3-7100T. I don’t do transcoding or even comskip now, so the processor is plenty fast. If I decide to do comskip or transcoding, I can just upgrade the chip to something much faster. My other criteria was that I wanted M.2 (SATA and NVMe) onboard, and also wanted an onboard Intel gigabit lan port. I ended up buying an MSI Z270 SLI Plus, which is working well so far. I have two M.2 SATA drives, which I can swap to NVMe if I decide I need a performance boost.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

How long before chip manufacturers have new chips that aren’t subject to Meltdown and Spectre? I’d like to do a rebuild one day soon as well, but figured I’d wait until this hacking vulnerability was eliminated....
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
I just went thru a motherboard upgrade earlier this year. The first thing that I did was decide on the type of cpu that I wanted, as that determines which motherboards to even look at. I went with a 7th generation Intel Core processor, specifically the i3-7100T. I don’t do transcoding or even comskip now, so the processor is plenty fast. If I decide to do comskip or transcoding, I can just upgrade the chip to something much faster. My other criteria was that I wanted M.2 (SATA and NVMe) onboard, and also wanted an onboard Intel gigabit lan port. I ended up buying an MSI Z270 SLI Plus, which is working well so far. I have two M.2 SATA drives, which I can swap to NVMe if I decide I need a performance boost.
Your tradeoff of a better MB with a slower CPU probably makes more sense.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

The threat is overblown for most. Right now, the best solution is to go with AMD Ryzen/Epyc/Threadripper. It's not affected by the Meltdown bug. CTS-labs is claiming other vulnerabilities affecting AMD (published yesterday) but it seems more like an AMD hit piece then a legitimate security article. All of the exploits published require Administrator access and if a hacker has that then you're already hacked. I wouldn't bother waiting if you go with an AMD chip. You might be waiting a while for a completely fixed Intel chip but Microsoft is publishing Windows software fixes to prevent exploitation.

I wouldn't postpone a purchase just for this security vulnerability. People aren't going to be dumping existing hardware because of it and if they are -- offer to take it off their hands.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

FWIW the i7-8700T seems to be becoming available LINK.

Perhaps you find it too expensive but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Sadly the 7th gen and 8th gen processors are not compatible on the same motherboards. So you have to choose, if you go with a 7th gen you will be stuck there forever.

Personally I'd just pay the extra to go 8th now, because I build a Sage server and try to keep it as long as possible. An extra $100 now will be forgotten over a 5-10 year time span.

The motherboard you posted does seem to be a little underwhelming. I was disturbed by how many failed hardware reviews it had. Even if it means a lesser processor I think I'd spend a little more money in that category than $49.

Pick your processor first, then Newegg searching will be helpful to find the best bang for the buck motherboard to match it.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Sage Icon

I think before you can even start looking for cpus and motherboards, you need to define how you hope to use the computer and where you will put it.
Will it be used as a Sage Server, Sage Client, or both?
What other types of software will you run on it?
Are you a gamer?
What Operating System(s) will you use?
How much storage do you require?
Will this be installed where appearance and fan noise matter (like in your living room), or tucked away out of sight in a closet or basement?

The answers to these questions will likely steer you towards either a SFF (small form factor) pc, a tower PC, a rack-mount server PC, or some other form factor. This will also determine whether you need an ATX, mATX, IFX, or some other style of motherboard. And it will determine if you need a separate graphics card, or can get by with integrated graphics.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that reports on this forum indicate that the Linux Placeshifter does not work with Intel integrated graphics (menus work, but no video playback).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I think before you can even start looking for cpus and motherboards, you need to define how you hope to use the computer and where you will put it.
Will it be used as a Sage Server, Sage Client, or both? Server only
What other types of software will you run on it? None
Are you a gamer? No
What Operating System(s) will you use? Linux
How much storage do you require? At least 4 SATA drives. 6 preferable
Will this be installed where appearance and fan noise matter (like in your living room), or tucked away out of sight in a closet or basement? In a closet

The answers to these questions will likely steer you towards either a SFF (small form factor) pc, a tower PC, a rack-mount server PC, or some other form factor. This will also determine whether you need an ATX, mATX, IFX, or some other style of motherboard. And it will determine if you need a separate graphics card, or can get by with integrated graphics.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that reports on this forum indicate that the Linux Placeshifter does not work with Intel integrated graphics (menus work, but no video playback).
It will be a dedicated Sage server. See above.