SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:14 PM
SageTVaholic

I forgot to mention hardware assisted decoding and encoding like Intel QuickSync.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Either one. I've actually tried playback on a full client. As long as you have a compatible codec playback works.
I haven't tried in a while but my PC client had trouble playing back 4k video files that played fine in windows media player on the same PC. Same file played back fine on the miniclient on Shield TV.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
I haven't tried in a while but my PC client had trouble playing back 4k video files that played fine in windows media player on the same PC. Same file played back fine on the miniclient on Shield TV.
I was just playing a 1080p video.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

whenever I have content encoded in HEVC I just load up a PLEX client in my living room instead of the Sage client.

not ideal but it works
Old 11-16-2018, 02:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
whenever I have content encoded in HEVC I just load up a PLEX client in my living room instead of the Sage client.

not ideal but it works
That's very true. And more and more TVs have smart functionality built in. I needed a new 43" TV for my office and I bought a relatively cheap TV from BB that had Roku built in. I still have my HD200 hooked up to it to use SageTV but I also installed the Plex for Roku app and can use that if I need it. And it also can do Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

But SageTV is still way better for watching recorded TV , especially in the way that I watch sports with lots of skipping.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
That's very true. And more and more TVs have smart functionality built in. I needed a new 43" TV for my office and I bought a relatively cheap TV from BB that had Roku built in. I still have my HD200 hooked up to it to use SageTV but I also installed the Plex for Roku app and can use that if I need it. And it also can do Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

But SageTV is still way better for watching recorded TV , especially in the way that I watch sports with lots of skipping.
Ultimately, I wonder if if the future investment into sagetv shouldn't be to simply maintain a server backend with a web ui for configuration, and then invest into building integrations for KODI, Plex, or Emby.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Ultimately, I wonder if if the future investment into sagetv shouldn't be to simply maintain a server backend with a web ui for configuration, and then invest into building integrations for KODI, Plex, or Emby.
I haven't try Kodi in many years as I wasn't a fan of it as it was a nightmare to configuring and as for Plex, or Emby they are both so bad at Intelligent Scheduling/Search/Recording it ain't funny even NextPVR dose better job at this LoL but none of them even come close to SageTV, I still don't have Mark Watched in any of them along with host other option that only in SageTV.
But SageTV could used a few of there options

It really sad that Google doesn't take an interest in doing cord cutting market when they first bought SageTV being if they had modernize it like they did with Google Fiber TV just think of where it would been now on top of the world.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
You are probably right but none of those are anywhere near as good as SageTV for playing back sports where you want to be skipping ahead all of the time - and that is my main use case.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You are probably right but none of those are anywhere near as good as SageTV for playing back sports where you want to be skipping ahead all of the time - and that is my main use case.
I agree, but that's where I say, maybe the investment there should be to enhance Emby or Maybe Kodi (Plex wouldn't be an option).
Old 11-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

If Sage's functionality could be incorporated into Kodi that may be my best case scenario.

I could see that attracting more people to SageTV as a backend and could broaden its appeal.

Kodi seems to playback whatever I throw at it and runs on a lots of different hardware types.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
If Sage's functionality could be incorporated into Kodi that may be my best case scenario.

I could see that attracting more people to SageTV as a backend and could broaden its appeal.

Kodi seems to playback whatever I throw at it and runs on a lots of different hardware types.
I haven't used Kodi much in recent years, but does it work properly in a client-server architecture now? Years ago it didn't, so that didn't work as well in some ways as SageTV or Plex that were pure client-server. For every client you had to do a full config which was a pain.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I haven't used Kodi much in recent years, but does it work properly in a client-server architecture now? Years ago it didn't, so that didn't work as well in some ways as SageTV or Plex that were pure client-server. For every client you had to do a full config which was a pain.
I don't have a centralized Kodi solution but if SageTV could be incorporated it could potentially handle the centralized server functionality. Configuration would still need to be done on a per device basis.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:06 PM
Sage User

I have Kodi set up using a central database (MariaDB) and it works great - https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_MySQL. I have the DB on my SageTV server, which also has most of my media. I access it from two different Nvidia Shield TVs and an Amazon Cube TV. Configuration per client was actually pretty easy--it just involves copying a couple files to each client (so that they point to the server).

Kodi keeps track of watched status and progress across the clients, plays everything (including x265), with a tweak of the .ini works with comskip - https://kodi.wiki/view/Edit_decision_list.

One thing I love about it is that it keeps the various TV series that I'm currently watching front and center so that I can just click on one to go directly to the next episode.

It would be great to have SageTV as a back-end recording engine for Kodi. I'm currently using the SageTV add-on, but it's pretty spare and it only works with Java 7.