SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Sage Icon

Question Multiple HD-PVR's

After 15 years, my network encoder PC's drive has died. So instead of fixing it, I'll likely move the HD-PVR/DirecTV combo on that guy to the main server where there is already an HD-PVR/DirecTV working. Just means I have to rewire some of the satellite cabling with two runs to the same room. I've been putting this off FOR YEARS, because I was apprehensive about running multiple HD-PVR's on one box.

But a lot of people are running two HD-PVR's on one system, right? The IP tuning helps a lot so that won't be an issue. I've heard people talk about the "unique ID" as a way to tell the two encoders apart which I've never had to worry about. is that a USB thing?
Old 05-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Sage Expert

I have been running two HDPVR 1212s on the same computer for many years now. No problems. I believe there is a unique ID somewhere, but I have never bothered looking into it too closely. As long as you keep each one plugged into the same USB port and connected to the same Directv receivers (and keep the receivers as static IP addresses for tuning), you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Sage Expert

I have a dedicated HD-PVR network encoder that houses three HD-PVRs, that feed two servers. As Evil_Attorney mentioned, assigning static IPs to the DirecTV boxes makes it easy to control and direct encoding. My 3 HD-PVR encoder is actually flawlessly running XP ...
Old 05-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

I've already got the DirecTV boxes on static IPs so that's ready to go. OK I'll try to keep the HD-PVRs plugged in to the same ports.

Do I need to open up the 2nd HD-PVR in the Hauppauge software to get SageTV to recognize it and if so, does that software itemize all the HD-PVRs connected?
Old 05-04-2021, 01:17 PM
Sage Expert

I don't seem to remember ever needing to open the Hauppauge software at all to get the HDPVRs working, but perhaps I am forgetting. I just remember needing to install the driver and Sage was able to recognize everything after that.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:23 PM
Sage Expert

Sage handles the numbering of the HD-PVRs, which can be good or bad. I assume you could go into the Sage.properties and change the sequence, but it's probably not that big an issue once you determine which device is being referenced. The blue ring light helps, in this regard. In my system they appear as "Hauppauge HDPVR", Hauppauge HDPVR #2, and "Hauppauge HDPVR #3 ...
Old 05-04-2021, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
Sage handles the numbering of the HD-PVRs, which can be good or bad. I assume you could go into the Sage.properties and change the sequence, but it's probably not that big an issue once you determine which device is being referenced. The blue ring light helps, in this regard. In my system they appear as "Hauppauge HDPVR", Hauppauge HDPVR #2, and "Hauppauge HDPVR #3 ...
Great, this helps. I can always use encoder merit if necessary to reorder I guess. And once I know which is which I'll use the tuner naming plugin.

thanks all!
Old 05-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
I don't seem to remember ever needing to open the Hauppauge software at all to get the HDPVRs working, but perhaps I am forgetting. I just remember needing to install the driver and Sage was able to recognize everything after that.
the one thing I remember having to use this for is 2 channel vs dolby digital setup. it's been a while.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:43 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
the one thing I remember having to use this for is 2 channel vs dolby digital setup. it's been a while.
No, the spdif input has always captured DirecTV's Dolby Digital (AC3) output ...
Old 05-07-2021, 01:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
No, the spdif input has always captured DirecTV's Dolby Digital (AC3) output ...
it's been a while since i've had to play with this. there was a time one had to select HDMI vs RCA input within the ArcSoft tools to get the right audio, maybe that's not true anymore.

anyway, I have both HD-PVR's on the server now. Only one receiver is using the Dolby Digital setting and the other I have disabled. that receiver was having audio sync issues whenever I enabled it (it has the gaming version of the HD-PVR, so they are not the same). maybe I'll update the Hauppauge driver software and try re-enabling DD on that receiver and see what happens.