SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I do not see doing something like this with SageTV.
Not even with two servers?
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 10-29-2021, 06:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
Not even with two servers?
The Problem with SagTV and 2 servers is that Sage does not Share tuners even with other SageTV servers when watching or recording the Same Channel.... nor does It have Profiles to keep track of individual watched statuses.... Maybe someone can offer alternatives using SageTV but I do not see one unless you are willing to invest on more tuners.

That is the reason I use Channels DVR as a Backend to control tuners.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-29-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The Problem with SagTV and 2 servers is that Sage does not Share tuners even with other SageTV servers when watching or recording the Same Channel.... nor does It have Profiles to keep track of individual watched statuses.... Maybe someone can offer alternatives using SageTV but I do not see one unless you are willing to invest on more tuners.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...le+user+plugin
Old 10-29-2021, 07:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Does this work ? in Sage 9 ... if it works then he would only need 1 server ... i have never used it or tested it.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-29-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

So I could add tuners (say, another Prime) and just have two servers each with their own tuners; I could access via FS4K like I do now and my friend could use that or an HD-300. The only thing we'd share is a Comcast signal, router, an LAN?

But Channels DVR as a backend - I'll research that, but does it allow skipping commercials in a live (but paused and partially comskipped) recording via the frontend software - i.e. the football game scenario?
Old 10-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Does this work ? in Sage 9 ... if it works then he would only need 1 server ... i have never used it or tested it.
I've never used it either so I unfortunately can't answer definitively if it works with Sage 9. Tom made lots of quality plugins for Sage over the years, so my assumption is that it works well.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I've never used it either so I unfortunately can't answer definitively if it works with Sage 9. Tom made lots of quality plugins for Sage over the years, so my assumption is that it works well.
Yes he has ... I tried it but could not enter the password on the Android MiniClient.It is in the plugin repository and installed fine in Sage 9

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-29-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

This is mostly true, but not 100% accurate.

Sage itself does not handle tuner sharing at all. It assumes that tuners that it has been configured to use will always be there and available and does not expect something else may also be trying to use the same tuner.

However, OpenDCT is aware of this possibility and handles it more gracefully. If you are using an HDHR Prime, Sage doesn’t handle that tuner natively anyway, so you are probably going to use OpenDCT anyway.

OpenDCT can be configured to use tuner pooling. Let’s say you have a 3-tuner Prime. You could assign all3 tuners to a pool. Then when Sage requests to record from Tuner 1, OpenDCT will try to record from Tuner 1, but if it is not available, it tries Tuner2, and if that’s not available it tries Tuner3. Sage won’t know this is happening - it will think it is recording from the tuner it requested, even though OpenDCT may really be serving up a different tuner from the pool.

If no tuners are available, you can choose (in advance) what OpenDCT should do. It can either fail the recording, or it can forcibly steal control of the tuner from whatever else was already using it.

So if you had 2 Sage servers, each with its own copy of OpenDCT, they could be configured to share tuners. Unfortunately, there are limits to this approach. For example if both servers wanted to record the same thing on the same channel at the same time, they would not be smart enough to just share a single tuner. Instead each one would use up one of the tuners from the pool. So it is not as efficient as it could be.

By the way, this method also makes it possible to have 2 different DVR programs sharing the same tuner.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-30-2021, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

You really would not be sharing the same tuner just the same device even using OpenDCT.... on 2 Servers.

ChannelsDVR > as many SageTV servers as you want and share the same streams AKA tuners.

The way I have it setup right now using Channels DVR to control the tuners ...

I have EMBY SageTV Plex and Channels DVR all sharing the tuners .. This way If someone is using Plex to Watch a Channel and Someone is using SageTV to watch the same Channel only 1 tuner is in use as they both share the same stream from Channels DVR.

This has also solved the Sage problem of keeping padding in back to back favorites same channel without using an additional tuner. I have OPenDCT pointing to the channels DVR Server.

If I record the same show on EMBY Plex SageTV and Channels DVR it only uses 1 tuner not 4.

I mostly use Plex to record Series I want to keep or in syndication ... because it nicely puts them in their own folders by year and season ... Sage clumps them all together ...I use Sage to record all Prime time shows also Channels DVR to record all Primetime shows... because I never know when new shows are going to air.... catch all favorite.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-30-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

The way I have it setup right now using Channels DVR to control the tuners ...

I have EMBY SageTV Plex and Channels DVR all sharing the tuners .. This way If someone is using Plex to Watch a Channel and Someone is using SageTV to watch the same Channel only 1 tuner is in use as they both share the same stream from Channels DVR.

This has also solved the Sage problem of keeping padding in back to back favorites same channel without using an additional tuner. I have OPenDCT pointing to the channels DVR Server.

If I record the same show on EMBY Plex SageTV and Channels DVR it only uses 1 tuner not 4.

I mostly use Plex to record Series I want to keep or in syndication ... because it nicely puts them in their own folders by year and season ... Sage clumps them all together ...I use Sage to record all Prime time shows also Channels DVR to record all Primetime shows... because I never know when new shows are going to air.... catch all favorite.
Thanks for that, nyplayer! Very creative.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for that, nyplayer! Very creative.
I see there is a multiuser plugin you might try as suggested by trk2 .. It seems to work but I could not get to post the password on the miniclients.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I see there is a multiuser plugin you might try as suggested by trk2 .. It seems to work but I could not get to post the password on the miniclients.
So is this something that might be fixed with a miniclient code change, or do you think it will take a change to the plugin - or both?
Old 10-30-2021, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So is this something that might be fixed with a miniclient code change, or do you think it will take a change to the plugin - or both?
I think MiniClient plugin.

You might be able to use a bluetooth/usb keyboard

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-30-2021 at 02:16 PM.