SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Using HD300 media extender remotely

Can someone point me to, or explain in three sentences, how you'd connect a HD300, remotely, to your home Sage server via a Dynamic DNS account you have set up?

What gets entered where on the HD300 for it to connect?

thanks
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 10-31-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have not done, but I think I understand the theory.

From the HD300:
Sage TV Servers | Edit Server List | Add New Server | Input
1. a friendly name
2. the locator ID
3. Optionally, specify if you want to connect by hostname/IP.

For what you want to do, is why the locator ID is important.

If I am not correct, I hope someone will speak up.
Not sure how Dynamic DNS impacts it. Unless it gives you an IP address to input, you may be out of luck.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA

Last edited by egeller; 11-01-2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: elaborated comment.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Sage Expert

Locator ID shouldn’t be needed if you use your Dynamic DNS address. They essentially work the same way, and I’m not sure if the locator service is even still running.

Then you need to forward a port on your router to your SageTV server, I believe it is port 31099.

When connecting remotely, just enter your Dynamic DNS address into the HD300 and you should be good to go.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I've attempted this in the past, before improvements were made to the SageTV encoders, and was able to get logged in, then the screen just went blank. The server had a public static IP, so I just used the public IP (and maybe the port also don't remember). The server side router was set to port forward correctly to SageTV.

If someone gets this to work, I'd love to know how.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

It's been several years since I last set this up, but I connect an HD300 remotely multiple times a week. As peternm22 mentioned, just type the dyndns address of the server. On the server side, make sure port 31099 is open on the router and forwarding to the server ip address. In you sage server setup, under the server settings, make sure "Media Extender and Placeshifter Sever" is enabled and make you configure a placeshifter user for login.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
It's been several years since I last set this up, but I connect an HD300 remotely multiple times a week. As peternm22 mentioned, just type the dyndns address of the server. On the server side, make sure port 31099 is open on the router and forwarding to the server ip address. In you sage server setup, under the server settings, make sure "Media Extender and Placeshifter Sever" is enabled and make you configure a placeshifter user for login.
Placeshifter used to be a separate purchased license. It's free now, right? I've honestly never even looked into it.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Placeshifter used to be a separate purchased license. It's free now, right? I've honestly never even looked into it.
Yes, it's free now although a Placeshifter license was never needed when using an HD300 remotely. I think that goes for HD200 as well and the HD100 came with a license.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Locator ID shouldn’t be needed if you use your Dynamic DNS address. They essentially work the same way, and I’m not sure if the locator service is even still running.

Then you need to forward a port on your router to your SageTV server, I believe it is port 31099.

When connecting remotely, just enter your Dynamic DNS address into the HD300 and you should be good to go.
And can this be done without a keyboard? Where’s the ‘.’ key hidden on a Sagetv remote? Update: found it.

And you enter the info in ‘Add Server’ under ‘Connect by Hostname’, then enter “your dns name” and that’s it, or do you need to add :31099 to the end?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-02-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
And can this be done without a keyboard? Where’s the ‘.’ key hidden on a Sagetv remote? Update: found it.

And you enter the info in ‘Add Server’ under ‘Connect by Hostname’, then enter “your dns name” and that’s it, or do you need to add :31099 to the end?
That's it, no need to add the port number to the address.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's it, no need to add the port number to the address.
Crap. I changed routers before I left the house, and it’s possible I forgot to open up 31099. 8080, my Airvideo and Plex ports are open, but I can’t connect from a Firestick OR the HD300, so 31099 must be the problem.
Thanks.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Crap. I changed routers before I left the house, and it’s possible I forgot to open up 31099. 8080, my Airvideo and Plex ports are open, but I can’t connect from a Firestick OR the HD300, so 31099 must be the problem.
Thanks.
If you have an Android phone available, the best way to troubleshoot this issue is to be at your Sage server with the Android client installed on the phone. Disable the phone's wifi so that it is using the cellular network and then attempt to connect the android client to the server. This allows you to easily test a remote connection without actually being remote, and then easily change Sage server or router settings as needed. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2021, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you have an Android phone available, the best way to troubleshoot this issue is to be at your Sage server with the Android client installed on the phone. Disable the phone's wifi so that it is using the cellular network and then attempt to connect the android client to the server. This allows you to easily test a remote connection without actually being remote, and then easily change Sage server or router settings as needed. Good luck!
lol. yup, did all that. And then changed routers for another reason, ‘cause I’m a dope. lol. I’m certain 31099 was forgotten.