SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Sage User

DVB-S/T/C Support

While everybody is constantly talking about HDTV support, I'm surprised no one has mentioned DVB support since it's the the predominant way of getting television these days in the rest of the world. There'll probably be more interest of the release of my new guide: Digital Satellite on HTPC Since the streams are all MPEG-2 already it would fit perfectly with SageTV. And development shouldn't be to hard either since there are opensource dll files for windows that do most of the hard work of interfacing to these cards and setting up the graphs in DirectShow.

Anyways something to keep in mind for your long long term plans
Old 05-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Sage

If any of these cards have the ability to record in Program Stream or interleaved PES packet format, then it's possible to integrate them with the currently available build of SageTV.

This can be done using the network encoder feature.

If ANYONE is interested in integrating DVB-S/T/C support for Sage, post it here. All that is needed is to implement a TCP/IP server that responds to some simple start/stop/tune commands that are used to control the recording of the card. Everything else SageTV will handle already.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Technotrend (manufacturer of the Hauppauge/Siemens DVB cards) has released an API to access their cards. The API should address the channel changes.

Here's a doc about their stream format
Old 06-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Sage User

Hi!

I would also like to see these cards supported in SageTV.

Regards,
Andreas
Stockholm, Sweden
Old 06-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

You should know the EPG is broadcast with the DVB stream. One thing less to worry about! Having used DVB myself before, I can say having your software available would be very welcome news for users in Europe.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:13 PM

I live in the UK and one of the main reasons I'm building a HTPC is so I can access the Freeview Terrstrial DVB channels. The Hauppauge Nova T PCI supports it, unfortunately neither ShowShifter or SnapStream support that cards functionality. If SageTV could provide that functionality, I'd be signing up immediately.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Sage

If anybody wants to write the support for the card, I'll give you all the information you need to do it (from Sage's standpoint).

Essentially if you can make a simple capture application for the card (playback not required, I already handle all that), then you can write Sage support for it.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Sage User

I'm very interested in this. I have considered buying a PVR-250 and using the svideo out of the Nexus to the svideo in on the PVR in order to use SageTV. A very bad workaround but it would work.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Sage

Check out the network encoders description in our developers section on our support site. What someone can do is write an application that implements a TCP/IP server that handles the same protocol that is used for network encoding. If you would like more details on the protocol, email support@freytechnologies.com

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2003, 02:13 PM
Sage User

I cannot program myself but I have posted a link to this thread on some DVB forums. Hoepfully I can stir up some interest. I know progdvb has ip streaming capabilities and can be controlled remotely.
Is it possible, although not as pretty, to simply run a dvb app minimized and change it's channels via command line from sagetv and connect the DVB card svideo output to the PVR-250 input?

Last edited by kelmk; 07-30-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Sage User

Did this end up getting anywhere? I've ordered a DVB-S card to play with and it would be real nice if it was usable through Sage.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am interested in programming this support. I have ordered a Technotrend budget DVB-T card that hopefully will artive this week. I have emailed support@freytechnologies.com and would like to get the information i need to implement this.

Also if anybody have links to active DVB forums I am very interested in them.

thanks
Anders Nolberger
Old 01-13-2004, 05:43 AM

Anders, I look forward to hear about your results. I have also thought about try to program this but I lack time at the moment. For me I'm interested in DVB-S but DVB-T can be of interest as well. Where did you order the Technotrend card from? If you want some help, I live only 90km from you.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Great. I might contact you when I have started programming. Hopefully my code should work for all of the budget line cards, C, T and S, at least that what it looks like in the SDK.

I ordered my card from http://www.dvbshop.tv/. I got a confirmation email that he sent the card last friday so I am hopefully getting it some time this week.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Any progress with this? I fancy giving Sage a go and have a Hauppauge Nova-t and also a DEC-2000t I could test for you.

K
Old 01-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

I revieved my card last week and has started programming. I dont have any results yet though.

I have not heard from Sage about the protocol to talk with SageTV. I guess they have had other things to do the last couple of weeks...
Old 02-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Dont mean to bug you but....

You getting anywhere with this or are you still waiting in information?

Thanks for the good work!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hello.

I can now controll my card and tune to a station. I can also get data from the card and for exampel save the sound to a file that plays in Winamp. The next step is to convert the Transport stream I get from the card to a program stream that Sage understands.

If anybody (Narflex?) have any information on this I would appreciate it since the standard specification is a little hard to read.

I have not got the information from Sage about the interface but I am working on the TS-PS conversion right now so it is not holding me back (yet).
Old 02-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sounds like its coming on well.

Did a bit of googling..

The Linux DVB driver may give you useful information on how to convert the TS to a PS.

These links may be of help:

www.linuxtv.org
http://www.metzlerbros.org/dvb/index.html
Old 02-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

It looks like it was not my TS->PS conversion that was the problem. The TS stream I got from the card with the TT SDK is not ok!

So I have now switched tactics and use DVBCore.dll instead of the SDK from Technotrend. And in very short time I now have a litte test program that can tune to a station and record a correct (playable) mpg file.

Next step for me would now be to make this test program to take commands from Sage. I will write a new letter to the support address about this and when I get the info about this I guess that I can have the first beta out in a week or two.