SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
Drinyth, I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding what you said. However, maybe this will help.

You would want to run:
CommercialDetectManager.exe "D:\"
only one backslash.

Also there might have been some confusion on the "PRjr" extension. That is used by the STV as a means to cleanup. This is not used by the externial process. The Test B version you have only checks for the "txt" extension and if it doesn't find it then it processes the file.

I'll be releasing Test Version C later today which will include the ORPHAN file cleanup which will run automatically and will have a few fixes needed for people running this from mutliple computers.
I tried that initially, but CDM won't startup with just:

CommercialDetectManager.exe "D:\"

in that file. In the *nix world, sometimes you use a \ to indicate that the next letter should be taken literally instead of being parsed. I'm assuming it's the same case here. So when I use the above, I think windows thinks that there is a quotation mark missing and the program doesn't run with the proper arguments.

CommercialDetectManager.exe "D:\\"

Does seem to work, I'm thinking because the first \ is telling the batch file to take the \ as a \ If that makes more sense? Not sure why it doesn't work with just a D: Not sure if that's by design?

Does that make more sense at all?

EDIT: Here's the error message:

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\STVs\OriginalV2\cayars\External\CommercialDetect>CommercialDetectManager.exe "D:\"
1/26/2005 10:51:33 AM: Directory to Process: D:"
1/26/2005 10:51:34 AM: ComSkip: Error Processing Directory: D:"
Notice that it's trying to process D:" and that the \ gets cut off. When I have "D:\\" in that file instead, the first \ means take that next \ literally and it works fine.

Last edited by Drinyth; 01-26-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Sage User

Video Playlists

Cayars - first let me say you have done an amazing job on this STV. Thank you. It seems so much more stable and usable than most other STVs I have used so far.

Question: For the video playlist is there a reason that videos can only be added to a default "VIDEO PLAYLIST"? I only see the ability to manage playlists in the Music library area and no way to create other video playlists.

To utilize Sage for my son I am trying to have different playlists for kid's shows. So I could play 5 'Bob the Builder' shows in a row on one playlist and 5 'Thomas the Tank Engine' on another.

I realize this isn't a high priority issue but thought I would bring it up in case I am missing something simple here. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Sage User

Quote:
NO, not for EVERY recording. It sets the default padding entry for new favorites. If you are doing manual recordings then the process is, well "manual".
do you happen to know if other stvs offer this feature for every recording?

I really pretty much need this. I'm missing the first 5 minutes of everything.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgust
do you happen to know if other stvs offer this feature for every recording?

I really pretty much need this. I'm missing the first 5 minutes of everything.
No, not that I'm aware of. Just to make sure we are on the "same page" let's discuss the different types of recordings.

Primarily there are 5 types of recordings that can be done.
1) Favorites
2) Manual Recordings
3) Timed Recordings
4) IR Recordings
5) Live TV

#2 & #3 are both manually setup by a person. You have complete control of the start and end times on these. These are both "manual" in setup.

#5 is not a "recording" per say and gets deleted quickly after you watch it unless you flag it during the show that you want to record it. In this case it will only "save" the portion of the show it has. So in a sense this is a manual recording also.

#1 is how most people will choose to record all their favorite shows. Default padding applies to this type but can be overwrote with new padding settings.

#4 is the odd ball out of all recording types as it's not a manual or pre-set up recording type. It is also the only type of recording that you can't change the start/end times nor can you apply any type of padding to it.

So with all that said if you ARE talking about IR recordings there isn't anything you can do about it. All other types can be controlled in all STVs in one way or another.

Which type(s) are you having issue with?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesjohn
Cayars - first let me say you have done an amazing job on this STV. Thank you. It seems so much more stable and usable than most other STVs I have used so far.

Question: For the video playlist is there a reason that videos can only be added to a default "VIDEO PLAYLIST"? I only see the ability to manage playlists in the Music library area and no way to create other video playlists.

To utilize Sage for my son I am trying to have different playlists for kid's shows. So I could play 5 'Bob the Builder' shows in a row on one playlist and 5 'Thomas the Tank Engine' on another.

I realize this isn't a high priority issue but thought I would bring it up in case I am missing something simple here. Thanks.
I thought I added that but when I just checked it wasn't there. I added it to my TODO list.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinyth
Notice that it's trying to process D:" and that the \ gets cut off. When I have "D:\\" in that file instead, the first \ means take that next \ literally and it works fine.
I understand the logic and agree with what you did. I'd say this is a BUG and I'll take a look at this. BTW, remember to test this when I put out a new release as it might break this for you.

I'll try and remember to mention it in the release notes.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Sage User

Playing videos from remote

Thanks for your last response Cayars. Continuing...

I noticed that in the Media Libraries | Video Library (TV Recordings) section at least when I press [enter] on my Hauppauge remote it plays the selected recorded video immediately. This is nice, but I don't see where I can access the "Recording Detail" as I can from a mouse click on the SageTV UI for each recording. I am trying to always use my remote.

One idea is that the [Play] remote button would play that video immediately and [Enter] would go to "Recording Detail". Just a thought.

Not to go too far on this, but I like this same idea for playing a song or album. [Play] plays the song immediately and [Enter] opens the little dialog that lets you add to playlist, cancel or "Play Song Now". Removes a click or remote button in all cases. More intuitive too. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Sage Expert

Cayars -

I just wanted to thank you for the excellent work on Commercial Detect. I am running it from my main PC for now and it works great over gigabit ethernet. It even comskipped shows AS they recorded last night, very nice. It did crash with a Windows exception error once but my wife closed the window before I could read the error. It hasn't happened since though.

Before I start running it on multiple PCs, I wanted to verify that it wouldn't try to ComDetect the same file on more than one PC.

Looking forward to running it as a service (and compression!).

Thanks again.
Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4 Gig DDR2-800, 8.5 TB storage, 8800GTS PCIe, Windows 7 32bit, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-2250, HD-HomeRun, Fusion 5 USB Gold ATSC, SageTV v7.x, HD100, HD200, HD300, 60" Mitsubishi DLP
Old 01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Sage User

Quote:
No, not that I'm aware of. Just to make sure we are on the "same page" let's discuss the different types of recordings.

Primarily there are 5 types of recordings that can be done.
1) Favorites
2) Manual Recordings
3) Timed Recordings
4) IR Recordings
5) Live TV

#2 & #3 are both manually setup by a person. You have complete control of the start and end times on these. These are both "manual" in setup.

#5 is not a "recording" per say and gets deleted quickly after you watch it unless you flag it during the show that you want to record it. In this case it will only "save" the portion of the show it has. So in a sense this is a manual recording also.

#1 is how most people will choose to record all their favorite shows. Default padding applies to this type but can be overwrote with new padding settings.

#4 is the odd ball out of all recording types as it's not a manual or pre-set up recording type. It is also the only type of recording that you can't change the start/end times nor can you apply any type of padding to it.

So with all that said if you ARE talking about IR recordings there isn't anything you can do about it. All other types can be controlled in all STVs in one way or another.

Which type(s) are you having issue with?
I'm talking about #2 as far as I know. I go to the live tv guide, or search, and find one particular episode I want, and hit record. I'd like to not have to change the padding each and every time I do this...
Old 01-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

I noticed that in the Media Libraries | Video Library (TV Recordings) section at least when I press [enter] on my Hauppauge remote it plays the selected recorded video immediately. This is nice, but I don't see where I can access the "Recording Detail" as I can from a mouse click on the SageTV UI for each recording. I am trying to always use my remote.

One idea is that the [Play] remote button would play that video immediately and [Enter] would go to "Recording Detail". Just a thought.

Not to go too far on this, but I like this same idea for playing a song or album. [Play] plays the song immediately and [Enter] opens the little dialog that lets you add to playlist, cancel or "Play Song Now". Removes a click or remote button in all cases. More intuitive too. Thanks.

For the TV Recordings, I'm pretty sure if you click on a show and then hit "Right," it will take you to the Recordings Detail screen. I don't know if the same thing happens with the Music Library
Old 01-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Use the info button instead of the select button.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Sage Icon

CommercialDetectManager Test Version C

Quote:
Originally Posted by White94Cobra
Cayars -

I just wanted to thank you for the excellent work on Commercial Detect. I am running it from my main PC for now and it works great over gigabit ethernet. It even comskipped shows AS they recorded last night, very nice. It did crash with a Windows exception error once but my wife closed the window before I could read the error. It hasn't happened since though.

Before I start running it on multiple PCs, I wanted to verify that it wouldn't try to ComDetect the same file on more than one PC.

Looking forward to running it as a service (and compression!).

Thanks again.
I actually just a fixed a problem that would cause grief when ran on multiple computers. This wouldn't have been a problem with Version A but is a problem in Version B.

Version just read a list of files from the directory and checked for a "txt" file, if it didn't find it then it would CommDetect it. After it gone done processing the first directory it would move on to the 2nd then 3rd, etc... This causes no problems on multiple machines.

Version B on the other hand changed the functionality so that it read the first directory and figured out what files needed processing and added them to a list. Then it did the same for the 2nd, 3rd, etc directorys. Then after it built up the list of files to process it would sort them according to age. It would then process them one by one. When it got done the end of the list it would wait X minutes and start all over again.

This would/could cause a problem for multiple machines if they are all processing the same directories since the first machine could have all ready processed a file the 2nd machine doesn't know about. All the 2nd machine knows is that at the time it built its list the file wasn't processed.

For Version C I'm doing the same thing as I did in Version B, BUTT I check the status of the file right before processing to see if there is now a "txt" file there which would indicate another machine has/is processing it. If it finds the "txt" file for a movie it just skips that file and moves on.

I also added the DELETE ORPHAN FILES code from the STV to CommercialDetectManager for version C. So as it's processing, it will remove the orphaned files automatically when it finds files without an MPG files.

And with that said, attached in the next message is Test Version C. Unzip to the CommercialDetect directory.

Last edited by Cayars; 01-26-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Sage Icon

CommercialDetectManager Test Version C

Here's the file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CDM-TestVersionC.zip (152.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 01-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgust
I'm talking about #2 as far as I know. I go to the live tv guide, or search, and find one particular episode I want, and hit record. I'd like to not have to change the padding each and every time I do this...
But then it wouldn't be a "manual" recording. It would be "semi-manual".

I'll take a look at it. I don't see why I couldn't add this functionality.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
And with that said, attached is Test Version C. Unzip to the CommercialDetect directory.
Attached where? I don't seem to see/find it.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmint
Attached where? I don't seem to see/find it.
Never mind, attached as in separate post yet to follow!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Commercial Skip

I'm curious.. and maybe the answer is obvious and I've just missed it...

1) If I turn off a PC that hasn't completed a comskip run, is the .log file or .txt file for the .mpg file it was working on cleaned up, or does it even exist? What would be great is if the log file could indicate it isn't complete and another process could detect that and pick up on the frame that the incompleted comskip was at. I suppose if you are just checking for the existance of a .txt file for the .mpeg, and that .txt file is not created until the comskip process is finished, that would prevent an incomplete process from appearing as completed.. no .txt file= non-existant or incomplete comskip, however it would also force the next processor to start over.

I'd love to have my "SageTVClient" pc doing some comskip work (It is a WAY faster machine than my SageTVServer), but it goes up and down several times a day as my wife goes online with it.. and it is up for hours each night as I mess around on it... but I've been afraid to let it process any type of comskip stuff for fear that shutting it down mid-check would mess up the processes that the server runs..

Thanks for any clarification anybody can give me on this.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Sage Expert

I also have a question about CommDetectManager. If I leave it on and and comdetects all of my shows, then i start to record new shows, will it go ahead and process these new shows as well, or do I need to run another instance of it. I got a little confused with the way you described how it compiles lists of shows in a directory
Old 01-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

Stuntman, if will figure this out on it's own and reprocess those shows for you. However, I wouldn't recommend forcing shutdown of CommDetect as a "normal" habbit.

abasu2003, what it will do is:
1) Cleanup Orphan files
2) Compile new list of shows to process
3) process shows generated in step 2. when all shows are processed
4) timeout for a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes)
5) start over with step 1

So yes, it will find them and process them after it gets done the current list it has. You don't need to restart it.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've gotten tied up at work for the last couple of weeks, so I'm trying to catch up. I've installed 18C with the new external CommercialDetect, and I'm a little confused as to how CD is supposed to be started up. I guess I assumed that SageTV would kick off the external CD process, but that doesn't seem to be happening and I can't find anything in the thread (or maybe I just scanned too quickly).

Am I supposed to manually run CDrun.bat, after modifying it for the right path(s) for recordings? I assume that I should put it in Startup for automatically running on boot?

Is there any way to install this as a service, so that it doesn't need to be restarted every time the system is booted? Or maybe it IS being installed as a service?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder