SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk
The remote for our TV has a button that you can press that'll take you back to the last channel watched. So let's say there's a show on CH 3 and one on CH 13 that you are "watching", by pressing this button when you're on CH3 it takes you straight back to CH13 without having to type 13, and when on 13 it takes you back to 3. Now the "problem" is that there's not really a button to map it to on the remote - but I can figure that out once the option exists - so does that make sense?

So that makes 3 of us with WRX's... though mine is still in need of some mods
Isn't that what the "Previous Channel" command is?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Sage User

Hi Carlo, I think an older bug is back regrarding screen corruption in the live tv guide. It was working in R17 but now running 18TestD2 and it's back.

If I am using VMR9 as the renderer and have the live tv guide on screen, the guide colors will corrupt and wierd diagonal lines will show up when the upper right corner video window appears. Guide goes back to normal if I hit stop.

This doesn't happen if I use overlay mode with your STV and VMR9 mode works if I use the original Sage STV.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukk
Isn't that what the "Previous Channel" command is?
Thanks, I'll give that a try - I overlooked it in the documentation.

Edit: works exactly the way I wanted - Event 60 for anyone else who didn't know.

Last edited by ajuhawk; 01-30-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazi
Hi Carlo, I think an older bug is back regrarding screen corruption in the live tv guide. It was working in R17 but now running 18TestD2 and it's back.

If I am using VMR9 as the renderer and have the live tv guide on screen, the guide colors will corrupt and wierd diagonal lines will show up when the upper right corner video window appears. Guide goes back to normal if I hit stop.

This doesn't happen if I use overlay mode with your STV and VMR9 mode works if I use the original Sage STV.
also would like to point out that the diagonal lines still appear for me in the 3 pane recordings screen if watched bars are enabled, only during a video preview though, and not all the time.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
You need to report this one to Frey. It's not an STV bug, but a core issue.
I thought the Skip DVD menus was something you added. I'll report it to Frey.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Sage Icon

Timed Recording & Channel Lineup per Video Card

Carlo,

I don't know if these two features can be added to your STV, but they would be helpful to me...

Would it be possible to enter a show name when doing a "Timed Recording". This would be a useful feature when using another video source that is not covered by the TV Guide schedule, such as an alternative satellite dish (such as 'free to air'). The program would then be displayed in the 'Video Library' as the name that was entered.

Would it be possible to have programmed channel line-ups for multiple video cards? (I only have one card now, and may get another video card in the future.) An example would be to have one card connected to a Dish Network receiver and the other to a broadcast antenna (each with different lineups).

Dave
Old 01-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan
Would it be possible to have programmed channel line-ups for multiple video cards? (I only have one card now, and may get another video card in the future.) An example would be to have one card connected to a Dish Network receiver and the other to a broadcast antenna (each with different lineups).
SageTV already supports multiple providers on multiple encoders. The channel lineup is linked to the providers, so if multiple tuners all use the exact same provider, they will all use the same channel lineup. See the Setup Wizard in the v2.1 manual on p. 110.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:07 AM
Sage User

I am running v17 w/ the latest Commercial detect release from 1/28. I have disabled internal commercial detection. I edited the cfg file to point to the sage video and tv directory and when I kick off the cdrun.bat it runs but I don't see any detected commercials in any of my files? I have the commercial detection files in the sagetv\stvs\originalv2\cayars\external\commercialdetect Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TD
Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 AM
Sage Icon

Mini Guide problems

I switched to this STV, version 17 last weekend and I noticed that most of the times, when pressing the "guide" button on the remote, the miniguide comes up briefly and then goes away. Once or twice out of 10 tries it will stick allowing me to browse back and forth. I read somewhere in this thread that there were some issues in the past but I couldn't tell if these are fixed with version 17 or they are fixed in 18.

Can someone shed some light on this please.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Sage Icon

Lucas, try a CTRL-X from the keyboard and see what happens. It sounds like to me that your remote is sending double codes.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdalton
I am running v17 w/ the latest Commercial detect release from 1/28. I have disabled internal commercial detection. I edited the cfg file to point to the sage video and tv directory and when I kick off the cdrun.bat it runs but I don't see any detected commercials in any of my files? I have the commercial detection files in the sagetv\stvs\originalv2\cayars\external\commercialdetect Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TD
Take a look at the log file (same directory). It will have a list of shows it has processed. Once you can find a show it has processes, try loading that show in the OSD and see if it has the commercial markings in it.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:24 AM
Sage User

Feature Requests

Cayars, I thought I would put up some UI feature requests after having used this STV for a while now. Any questions let me know. Appreciate your efforts.

Feature Requests:
1) Archived Library: Ability to categorize just like TV Recordings "Non-archived" library. (I know Cayars you said this is on the list now)

2) Main Logo: Option for main logo mouse click to go to Main Menu and not just "back".

3) Mini Guide: When watching a recorded show, guide button (mini guide) currently shows what is on the last channel you viewed live it appears. Seems more logical for Guide to show the mini version of what you are watching recorded including show description of it etc.

4) Music Library:
- Artist: "Play" menu option in this view when an artist is selected which plays the entire set of songs from the artist
- Album: "Play" menu option that of course plays the entire album selected
- General: "Shuffle" and "Repeat" options that do just that for a playlist, artist or album played.
- Search: Alphabetical vertical search on side for artist and album searching (mcexcon implemented this idea). Allows for quicker access to alphabetical sections.
- Play Button: When song/artist/album is highlighted like to see Play on remote play song/artist/album immediately instead of doing nothing as it does right now. Currently select brings up the menu which is fine.
- Visualizations: Ability when this is selected to keep album info, and song play info (bar at bottom) up instead of hiding it as it does now and when playing a video or movie after a set period of time.
- Visualization Option: On play of song/artist/album go to visualization immediately.

5) Menu UI Option: Ability to choose what navigation items are displayed on the main menu.

Thanks for your great work!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsagetv99
I upgraded to java 1.5 and I'm pretty sure that it broke my ability to compress mpg using ffmpeg. Is anyone else with 1.5, that had compression working before, having a problem after upgrading?
Just wanted to update everyone in case you are having the same problem. Last night I uninstalled Java 1.5_01 and installed 1.4.07 and guess what? The FFMPEG compression application started working again.
Hopefully I didn't break anything else in the process.
I will also post this on the FFMPEG thread.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Sage User

Quote:
scutrmatt, follow the instrutions mdmint said above. This should fix your problem. If by chance it does not there is one other thing to check on and that would be the background graphic. If it's pointing to a "bad" graphic file you'll get what you described also. Chances are mdmint's suggestion will fix your problem.
Thanks guys, doing a clean re-install of sagetv and cayars stv fixed my problem.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan
Would it be possible to enter a show name when doing a "Timed Recording". This would be a useful feature when using another video source that is not covered by the TV Guide schedule, such as an alternative satellite dish (such as 'free to air'). The program would then be displayed in the 'Video Library' as the name that was entered.
Davephan, I have a small script that I wrote to do this until Carlo can get this functionallity into his STV. It's kind of clunky, but it works. Basically it asks you for the drive letter the video is stored on, then lists the directories on that drive for you to choose, then it parses that directory and lists one at a time the files aphabetically and asks if that is the file that you want to rename. Since timed files are given numerical names the file is usually one of the first listed. Once you accept a file, then you are prompted for the new name and the file is renamed moved to a folder called Renamed on the same drive(since it is on the same drive the file move is instant). I also added some questions at the end asking for an overview, and release date, whatever information you provide is put in a .my file of the same name in the new location of the show.

The only other thing you have to do is make sure that the folder called Renamed is included in your SAGE Imports directory setting.

You can either write something like this for yourself, or you're welcome to the script I wrote. Just let me know.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesjohn
Cayars, I thought I would put up some UI feature requests after having used this STV for a while now. Any questions let me know. Appreciate your efforts.

Feature Requests:
1) Archived Library: Ability to categorize just like TV Recordings "Non-archived" library. (I know Cayars you said this is on the list now)
Not on the list that I know of. I've tried to faze out the need for the Archived Recording screen. Everything you can do there can be done in the TV Recordiing screen.
Quote:
2) Main Logo: Option for main logo mouse click to go to Main Menu and not just "back".
This was talked about before, but due to the way the menu needs to work it can't be done.
Quote:
3) Mini Guide: When watching a recorded show, guide button (mini guide) currently shows what is on the last channel you viewed live it appears. Seems more logical for Guide to show the mini version of what you are watching recorded including show description of it etc.
The Mini-Guide starts where ever you left off the last time you used the guide (in the same OSD session). If you happened to have went live on this channel then of course it will seem like it starts on the last channel but it just starts where ever it was when it last turned off or timed out.

The functionality of this was discussed at length during it's programming.
Quote:
4) Music Library:
- Artist: "Play" menu option in this view when an artist is selected which plays the entire set of songs from the artist
You can do this already, just select the first track and the rest will play.
Quote:
- General: "Shuffle" and "Repeat" options that do just that for a playlist, artist or album played.
- Search: Alphabetical vertical search on side for artist and album searching (mcexcon implemented this idea). Allows for quicker access to alphabetical sections.
I'm not much of a fan of these myself. I did add them but then removed them because they caused to many issues. They are still in a couple of places however.
Quote:
- Play Button: When song/artist/album is highlighted like to [qsee Play on remote play song/artist/album immediately instead of doing nothing as it does right now. Currently select brings up the menu which is fine.
I don't understand this one.
Quote:
- Visualizations: Ability when this is selected to keep album info, and song play info (bar at bottom) up instead of hiding it as it does now and when playing a video or movie after a set period of time.
- Visualization Option: On play of song/artist/album go to visualization immediately.
I'm not sure this is a good idea, as many people don't use the visualizations. This would also cause trouble for the plug-in people. Also not everyone would like this. I know I don't like the viualizations much and try to avoid them. I like to keep the desktop "free" for other things while listening to music.
Quote:
5) Menu UI Option: Ability to choose what navigation items are displayed on the main menu.

Thanks for your great work!
The menus are fully adjustable. Take a look at the cayars-menu.xml file in your sagetv directory. Open it up in notepad.

PS, I only have a couple of minutes online, so I just went through this reql quick. Feel free to comment further.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Feature request: Could you make it where when you have the mini-guide up, typing in a channel number changes the channel in the mini-guide instead of changing the current channel being viewed?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not sure.

Gotta check and see what the code looks like.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

Running 18D2 CDM doesn't seem to like it when I try and delete a show in Sage that it is currently scanning.
I started watching Charmed last night after CDM started scanning it and when I finished watching I tried to delete the show but it didn't go away (obviously because CDM had it open) but then I come home to watch TV and notice CDM is still chugging away at the same Charmed episode.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Sage User

1)
Quote:

Feature Requests:

Quote:
Not on the list that I know of. I've tried to faze out the need for the Archived Recording screen. Everything you can do there can be done in the TV Recordiing screen.
You are right. I mixed this up with a previous note about fixing video playlists here. I currently have a number of videos that are archived because they are not viewed as often as weekly recorded shows that I delete after watching. I like to keep things organized and easily accessible. I guess I am not sure what the archive purpose is then. It seems there are 2 groups at least of recordings...1) Those recently recorded (awaiting viewing at a frequent interval) and 2) Those recorded that we want accessible but are not viewed that often. Not sure if I should put my #2 recordings into my imported media library or what. Suggestions? Thanks.

2)
Quote:
Main Logo: Option for main logo mouse click to go to Main Menu and not just "back".
Quote:
This was talked about before, but due to the way the menu needs to work it can't be done.
Ok I figured this was easy as I have seen it done in other STVs - just going to main menu and not back. No big deal.

3)
Quote:
Mini Guide: When watching a recorded show, guide button (mini guide) currently shows what is on the last channel you viewed live it appears. Seems more logical for Guide to show the mini version of what you are watching recorded including show description of it etc.
Quote:
The Mini-Guide starts where ever you left off the last time you used the guide (in the same OSD session). If you happened to have went live on this channel then of course it will seem like it starts on the last channel but it just starts where ever it was when it last turned off or timed out.

The functionality of this was discussed at length during it's programming.
Ok - doesn't seem logical then to show mini-guide when viewing a recording. But whatever.

4)
Quote:
Music Library:
Quote:
You can do this already, just select the first track and the rest will play.
Ok - this is about 2 clicks or remote clicks. You end up in an artist or album on the left menu. Moving to a "Play" option there is one mouse move away. Moving to the first song of an artist or album, selecting it, then choosing "Play Now" is too many selects to play. Consider Winamp or WMP etc. You never get a menu to choose "play now". Just some thoughts.

5)
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not much of a fan of these myself. I did add them but then removed them because they caused to many issues. They are still in a couple of places however.
That's fine. Just figured we want to be as close to Winamp, WMP or others as possible. Otherwise people like me end up switching to those for playing music with all of its features.

6)
Quote:
- Play Button: When song/artist/album is highlighted like to see Play on remote play song/artist/album immediately instead of doing nothing as it does right now. Currently select brings up the menu which is fine.
Quote:
I don't understand this one.
On a remote there is a typical "Play" button like VCR controls. When I select a song, album or artist name I think it makes sense if "Play" on the remote starts playing the song immediately, for an artist the first song in the list of that artist, and for an album the first song in that album. Make sense?

7)
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure this is a good idea, as many people don't use the visualizations. This would also cause trouble for the plug-in people. Also not everyone would like this. I know I don't like the viualizations much and try to avoid them. I like to keep the desktop "free" for other things while listening to music.
No problem. Again I noted this as an option. I can't see the visualization via my PVR 350 TV Out so I am really referring to keeping up the artist/album info on the screen. If I am playing music for guests, it seems more logical to display that than the list of songs on the screen. If you are familiar with MS Plus Digital Media Edition then you will know what I mean.

On my HTPC I try to only use the remote to control Sage and only have Sage output via my PVR 350 TVOut. So I can't see my desktop or use a mouse with it - mainly don't want to have the computer/mouse/keyboard be used as I just Remote Desktop in to that machine in rare cases.

Don't forget about those that aren't programmers. They will be the majority of those in the long run that buy this product. User friendly, and visually appealing sells to the masses. If it looks great then they think it is regardless if it really is.

8)
Quote:
Menu UI Option: Ability to choose what navigation items are displayed on the main menu.
Quote:
The menus are fully adjustable. Take a look at the cayars-menu.xml file in your sagetv directory. Open it up in notepad.
Ok

Thanks.

Last edited by julesjohn; 01-31-2005 at 04:23 PM.