SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk
Not sure if anyone here is interested in converting SageTV files to .wmv and having a webpage automatically created, but if you are, check out this thread
Interesting choice of file formats
Old 04-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankd0g
Interesting choice of file formats
yeah... but it works really well.
More formats will be forthcoming - well, added as requested.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Sage Expert

...Any sign of Release 18 comming out to the masses any time soon?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Administrator

I haven't heard anything since my last comment on the subject. I don't believe anyone else has either.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Sage Expert

...thanks Opus...I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss some announcement. I'm waiting for Cayars18 to go to 2.2.8 in Sage. I might as well do it all at once.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Sage User

*cough . . . wheeze . . . sputter . . . gasp*

Old 04-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
BTW, not that I plan or anything like this happening again but just in case I'm going to PM my home phone number to a couple of guys here on the system like ToxMox and Opus4 so just in case, they could always give me a phone call and atleast relay any information to you guys. In hind site I wish I had done this before, but who would have ever thought... I can only imagine some of the things running through peoples heads.

Carlo
Opus, if you have his number, can you get an update on his intentions for future development? Your post over 2-weeks ago said he was busy with his job, but it seems like he should at least be able to post a message here, maybe once a week or so. It's been over a month. I don't care if he's given up development or whatever, but it would be nice to know so we can move on. If he has, maybe he could turn over the code to someone else for continued development? Or, release v18 to the masses as an "as is" version. I also think he owes an immediate resolution to those who donated through paypal and didn't receive anything.

Last edited by bgorrell; 04-09-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator

bgorrell: I just saw the edited version of your post. (The original was quite different.) I tried calling a few times several days ago, but didn't catch him & have no desire to keep trying. It takes very little time to log onto the forum & post a message or two to let people know what is going on, even if all you have to say is "I can't work on this now, but will be back when I can." So personally, after this much time w/no word at all, I would move on and consider this project dropped unless he ever returns to say otherwise.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Sage Icon

At this point I wish I hadn't sent him my PVR-350. He was either going to buy it from me or return it and neither has happened.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Andy, sorry about the edited post. I had more thoughts on it after the original post and basically ended up re-writing it. Thank you for trying to contact him. I think you're right. He would have posted on his own if he was going to.

Well, if the project is dead, I thank him for providing us with something better than anyone else had before or since. I wouldn't begrudge him for stopping. The only thing that bothers me is all the people who sent him money and/or hardware and got nothing in return. I'm not one of those, so I have no say, but if I were ToxMox or some of these other people, I would be trying to track him down to get answers. Maybe they should be calling his ISP or heck, maybe even the Police. Not to get him in trouble so much, but more out of concern (although I seriously doubt they would be willing to do anything -- "Hi, Police? I'd like to file a missing person report... actually he's missing from the internet..." That'd be a laugh!).

The first time he came back after an absence he said he could only imagine the thoughts going through our heads! Thankfully it was nothing more serious then equipment problems. This time though, my imagination is really running wild...
Old 04-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think he's here, he just changed his name on the forum and is hiding in the shadows.... he could be any of us!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomfsoc
I think he's here, he just changed his name on the forum and is hiding in the shadows.... he could be any of us!!!
I think you may be on to something... hmmmm... phantomSOC... maybe that stands for Phantom Shadow of Cayars!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Sage Icon

Could anyone who donated, and never recieved the file info please PM me?

I think I have a way to verify things through Paypal itself, as I haven't had contact with Cayars himself either.

Please don't try to pull a fast one on me - I WILL catch you.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Sage User

Well, I got paypal to refund my money. They pulled $25 out of his account and back into mine

So, in my case, the business with Cayars is over.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Sage Icon

Thankfully, I didn't donate because i was having trouble with the DVD burner working correctly. But, if this thing is truely dead, --is version 18 a lost cause for the the rest of us? Those who did pay knew that they were only getting it early and that it would be released eventually to the masses so if someone was willing to release it down the road I think that would make sense, bugs and all.
JUC
Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbundy
Is there anyway to change the temperature reading in the Weather Suite to being Celcius? I'm in Canada, we don't use F.

Thanks
Set units="m" in the root element of the weatherconfig.xml document.... for WRS-specific issues, please use the WRS thread: http://sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8160 .
Old 04-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Sage Icon

Here's my current plan:

1. Fill the back-order of people who donated.

2. Get a concensus of what the donators think about releasing v18 to non-donators next month.

You're right about it being released anyways, but Cayars only released a version to the public when there was a new version ready for those that donated. So I don't want to upset those that decided to donate to the development by removing any advantage they gained by spending money.

It's possible, that v18 will never be released publicly if those that donated don't feel it's fair to make it so. But it's equally as possible everyone will decide that it's okay to make it public. So start your lobbying now.

As far as the DVD burning program - there's not a whole lot I can do about that one. He gave out registration keys for that, and as I never used it, I never got a key. But I think there are fewer people who paid for that and are SOL right now, than people who donated for the STV.

Hopefully the DVD point is moot - and someone (Frey or otherwise) is working on an alternative solution.

But as this STV goes, I personally think it's in pretty good shape. With the exception of his half-completed commercial processor, everything is pretty solid. So I don't know if any protocol has been setup for one STV developer to take over another's work.

I personally wouldn't mind picking up the pieces - but as my coding background is kind of light, I wouldn't be able to make anything releaseable for a while. But I thought I'd just throw that out there....in case anyone was listening...

Please let me know what you all think should be done.

PS. No one knows for sure yet that this is dead, we're just trying to satisfy everyone the best we can in case things turn out that way. Think of it more like a coma, this STV could wake up any day now, we just don't know for sure.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
Here's my current plan:

1. Fill the back-order of people who donated.

2. Get a concensus of what the donators think about releasing v18 to non-donators next month.

You're right about it being released anyways, but Cayars only released a version to the public when there was a new version ready for those that donated. So I don't want to upset those that decided to donate to the development by removing any advantage they gained by spending money.

It's possible, that v18 will never be released publicly if those that donated don't feel it's fair to make it so. But it's equally as possible everyone will decide that it's okay to make it public. So start your lobbying now.

As far as the DVD burning program - there's not a whole lot I can do about that one. He gave out registration keys for that, and as I never used it, I never got a key. But I think there are fewer people who paid for that and are SOL right now, than people who donated for the STV.

Hopefully the DVD point is moot - and someone (Frey or otherwise) is working on an alternative solution.

But as this STV goes, I personally think it's in pretty good shape. With the exception of his half-completed commercial processor, everything is pretty solid. So I don't know if any protocol has been setup for one STV developer to take over another's work.

I personally wouldn't mind picking up the pieces - but as my coding background is kind of light, I wouldn't be able to make anything releaseable for a while. But I thought I'd just throw that out there....in case anyone was listening...

Please let me know what you all think should be done.

PS. No one knows for sure yet that this is dead, we're just trying to satisfy everyone the best we can in case things turn out that way. Think of it more like a coma, this STV could wake up any day now, we just don't know for sure.
My .02 cents...go ahead and give 18 out. I donated and got 18 early, and have had use of it for weeks now, so I'm OK with it. Even beyond that, 18 does NOT work the best for me, I've found it quite buggy (I think mostly due to significant problems with the external commdetect). I've reverted to 17 and all is well...
Old 04-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

I have no problems with everyone getting v18. I'd also be willing to take over the project but don't feel comfortable doing so without Cayars blessing which may be impossible to obtain.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Sage Expert

Unhappy

This is all quite sad actually. Maybe someday we will see "CAYARS TV" available for PC in our local stores! (A hint as to what I think may have happened to him now that he realizes what kind of money can be made.)

I like to see 18 released, but only when all the bugs have been worked out. Maybe since this project is dead (presumably) people with studio can take 18 and 17 and develope them in parrallel and we could wind up with two feature packed, but different STVs. Maybe one can go widescreen, and realocate the realistate in the 16x9 format.

Tons of ideas. 17 is pretty complete, if not overkill, not much needed except closed captions on PVR 150 boards (yes, It's a driver issue, not a sage issue) and maybe some tweaking of com detect and I'd still like to see a automatic volume leveler incorporated.

I wish cayars good luck on his endeviors, I wish he would have just let us know whats going on.