SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTuckman
That is my biggest fear... Either the existing STV's will be incompatible with v3, and/or Studio will not be released in the future and the existing version is also incompatible with v3.
While I'm not going to get into a discussion about the desire for a future release of Studio, I can say that current STVs shouldn't really have a problem with v3. If something is fixed/changed in the core, you never know if something might have to be changed in an STV, but the STV concept itself isn't going away. Ex: going from v2.0 to 2.1, I believe there were a couple core changes that required STV updates to reflect those changes, but they didn't make the STV completely inoperable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankd0g
I can't live with these pegged cpu problems anymore so I tried to switch back to the default and now I just get a black sceen when I try to load SageTV. I restored and old wiz and properties file but still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
You shouldn't have to change the wiz.bin file, but if you want to try with a fresh properties file, don't forget to also remove the autobackup file, or sage.properties will simply restore itself.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankd0g
I can't live with these pegged cpu problems anymore so I tried to switch back to the default and now I just get a black sceen when I try to load SageTV. I restored and old wiz and properties file but still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
I think that I solved this once by exiting sage completely and then "deleting" (cutting and pasting to another location) the .stv files so sage didn't find them where it was looking for them. THat might force it to use the original. I don't remember now if the original.stv was left there or if it was part of the group I cut/pasted. I didn't have to do anything with the wiz.bin or properties. I hope that helps.

I'm still looking for help on compression per yesterday's post.
I saw ajuhawk's answer which is what I've done:
set folders for jobs and & target.
at that point if I click compress in sage, it should create me a xml file. BUt that takes forever (30 min for 1 minute recording??) adn if I cancel, it deletes it. I haven't even gotten to try out the ffmpeg part yet.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Sage User

CS

You mention that in order to enable CS, you have to edit CommercialDetectManager.cfg and then run CDRun.bat. These files are not included with the STV install... Where can I find them? The CS fuction is not working.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

wow! I haven't been lurking in a while due to family illness but this blows my mind. For a guy who released so many updates and then took it to the next level by asking for the donations I'm surprised he dropped off like that. I would assume it was something very important and unavoidable for this to happen. Hopefully Cayars will return, if only to provide some closure to a now dead? stv??

davey
Old 04-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Sage Icon

Crypto55:
CS is only available to those who donated and have access to version 18 of Cayar's STV. DO NOT attempt to donate to get access to this because Cayars himself is currently MIA and we do not know when he will return. So if you manage to find a donate link, let us know about it, and don't use it.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Are you talking about ComSkip when you say CS? You do not need to be running version 18 in order to use the Commercial Detection Manager. I was using it fine with version 17.

Crypto55: The external Commercial Detection Manager (CDM) can be downloaded from the link on the first post in this thread. You then edit the CommercialDetectManager.cfg file and tell it where the directories that hold your Sage recordings are, and then execute CDRun.bat. If you are using CDM, you want to make sure to disable background commercial detection in the STV under detailed setup.

- Dan
Old 04-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think it's interesting to read the version 1 notes on the first post. This STV was originally created to integrate the best features of other STVs, mainly Nielm and mlbDude into one STV. The add-ons since then have been great too, although less critical. I can only hope Frey has paid close attention to this STV and will integrate as many (preferably all) of it's features as possible. I would be very, very hesitant to "upgrade" to version 3 if it does not have all of the basics that Cayars added. In fact, according to a recent poll, almost 50% of Sage users are using Cayars. So, since Cayars is no longer being updated, that would be quite a loss of functionality to the core user base if v3 doesn't include these features.

Frey should clearly be able to see what their customers want. Hopefully they will supply it.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would be surprised to see Frey support Commercial Skip. It is the feature that the networks fear the most. I think Replay TV has this feature, and have had problems with the networks ovet it. I use cayars as well, and I was using Commercial skip for a while, but I don't use CS anymore. CS is cool when it works, and a pain when it doesn't. I am thinking of trying the smooth FF which was recently released however. I do love the menu's in cayars, but if I remember these were originally malore's menus. I don't really care about the DVD ripping or burning functions however. I used to have the weather configured, but the last time I rebuilt my box I never set it up again.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Sage User

I think it would be a good thing for Frey to use menus like Cayars. Also the weather feature is an excellent thing cayars has done it would be a shame to see that go to waste. Though I have not got it configured on my setup to work for the UK (which is what I would want it for). Again the DVD burning is a very nice feature which comes in handy quite often at my place.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Sage User

I think it would be nice if we all say thanks to Cayars for all the time, effort and support of his own free will that he has input to help us all out at no cost.
You must understand Cayars gains no self benefit by doing these updates and for him to ask for a donation this far down the line is by far not an unreasonable thing for him to have done. And yes I have donated, not for the most recent updates but as a way to show my thanks to him for his time and effort. It may not have been the biggest donation he’s received but being a poor student as I am its all I can stretch to as my way to say thanks.
So once again thanks Cayars and hope to see you around.

Rob
Old 04-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

So is there an 18???

So is there an available v.18 for the "general public"? I searched this thread as best as I could but all I could come up with was version 17.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Sage Icon

v18 hasn't been publicly released...yet. I'll take a poll in a couple of weeks and will most likely release it then if those that donated are okay with it.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

Why wait a couple of weeks? Cayars has already been MIA for long enough? How bout a poll to see who wants to wait a couple weeks?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

How about a poll to see if their should be a poll about waiting a few more weeks. Sorry, Couldn't resist.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Better yet, bypass the polls and just post it!

Last edited by dbfresh23; 04-19-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Sage Expert

Is version 18 stable enough for general consumption?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Sage Icon

The biggest change was the move to the commercial Detection manager, which is actually very similar to the DirMon.

I would say it's releasable. The reason I'm waiting a couple of weeks is because a few users only recently got v18 after having donated some time ago. I figured that by releasing it concurrently with giving those users the file too, would be unfair.

Anyways, I've heard from a couple of donators already, and none have been opposed to releasing v18. So we will most likely make the move, I just want to be as fair as possible.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

What I'm interested in with version 18 is the xml files that are generated for each recording that make all the information accessible (EPG data, name of encoder, recording file location, etc.).

Does this work properly in version 18? It sounds like to me that Cayars was working on commercial detection when he stopped. If I just disable commercial detection and possibly other unstable features, will everything work fine? I've never used any version of Cayars's STV.

The XML files are really the only reason I wanted to use the Cayars STV. Once I get access to the data, I can do everything I want.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Sage User

hi zz5, you've stolen my brain and are using it to post. this is EXACTLY how i feel. the xml is all i care about. if you want it right now without waiting for a poll you can use glbrown's STV which seems to be based on cayars v18c. check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz5
What I'm interested in with version 18 is the xml files that are generated for each recording that make all the information accessible (EPG data, name of encoder, recording file location, etc.).

Does this work properly in version 18? It sounds like to me that Cayars was working on commercial detection when he stopped. If I just disable commercial detection and possibly other unstable features, will everything work fine? I've never used any version of Cayars's STV.

The XML files are really the only reason I wanted to use the Cayars STV. Once I get access to the data, I can do everything I want.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Sage Icon

I will be releasing v18 to the public on Monday. Any donators speak now, or forever hold your peace.