SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
mini guide for cayars 18E stv file?

Please bear with me, I know I am probably asking for a good flame by asking this question. But I really want to install the cayars 18E. But OMG this thread is 182 pages long. I think it might take me 3 months to absorb it.

I have read the 58 page pdf file about installing this, but then I am wondering why there are 182 more pages talking about this stv.

Can someone (who has installed it a bunch of times) write a mini guide that just outlines what a new person like me needs to do (I am using current 2.2.8 version of the default sageTV stv file with no imports) to get this thing installed.

I dont need to know about any external programs, I can always deal with those later on. But I would at least like to get all the other internal parts of the stv installed and working. It seems like that part might be a lot more straight forward. its probably just a lot more work to get any of the external things working.

If anyone can do this, I would greatly appreciate it. Or show me some other thread that already explains this using more current information.

I am hesitant to install it, because I feel like there must be a lot more to it, if this thread is 182 pages long. I made it through about 10 pages tonight, before eyes started crossing.

I like all the screens and features that I see in this stv, if I could only feel comfortable installing it !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingra
Can someone (who has installed it a bunch of times) write a mini guide that just outlines what a new person like me needs to do (I am using current 2.2.8 version of the default sageTV stv file with no imports) to get this thing installed.
As far as I know, there are three only things you need to do to get the STV working, which is posted near the bottom of the first post:
Quote:
You will need to download 3 files:
Extract JavaR2.zip into your Java library extensions directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext)

Extract CoreFilesR2.zip into your main SageTV directory. Please make sure nested folders get extracted correctly.

Extract Cayars17.zip into your main SageTV directory. Please make sure nested folders get extracted correctly.
As for why there are 182 pages in this thread, well look at the amount of work that was put into this STV, and its been in the works for quite a long time.

PS. I like the new vBulletin update. Very quick to edit posts.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
As far as I know, there are three only things you need to do to get the STV working, which is posted near the bottom of the first post:

As for why there are 182 pages in this thread, well look at the amount of work that was put into this STV, and its been in the works for quite a long time.

PS. I like the new vBulletin update. Very quick to edit posts.
Wow if it is that easy, I would be happy I just havent had time to read through all of it. I like to read through most threads completely, but this one is a monster. Sometimes I find the instructions on how to do something get added to, or tweaked further down the thread.

I can definately appreciate all the work. It looks amazing, and I am anxious to be using it. I guess I will just do those 3 steps and see how it goes. (I already made a copy and paste of the whole Frey directory, just in case I need to reload)

I think one of the first things that confused me a little, was that there seems to be an update to the cayars stv that allows imports to be used with the cayars stv. How does one go about applying that patch? I saw a link in one of the threads
And in doing so, what else is there to *import* into Cayars Stv? It seems like it has a LOT in there already.

Last edited by steingra; 11-01-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
-mayamaniac
What's different about your customized Cayars?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Sage Icon

Yep ... mayamaniac is correct ... check out page 6 & 7 of the Cayars STV User's Guide for simple basic install ... AJUhawk did a nice job documenting the STV ... It's not as bad as it seems ...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=9894

You might also need to ensure you have .Net 1.1 installed.

One other FYI ... After you install the STV you may want to replace the original Cayars STV file with this one ...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...77&postcount=7

Cayars disabled the ability to import other modules ... Nielm re-enabled it for us ...

Go ahead ... give it a try ...

Good Luck ... T.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker
-mayamaniac
What's different about your customized Cayars?
I had rearranged the menus, swapped the icons and background, screenshot in the HTTP Gallery link in my signature also. Although I don't use that STV anymore as I'm beta testing SageTV 3.0.x, but I have a similar STV using it with Dynamic menu and Comskip support. I'll update the links in my signature when SageTV 3.0 is finalized.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

The real reason there's 182 pages - this is a very popular STV and there were a LOT of questions about the various aspects of the STV and how to integrate and new releases and...you get the idea

Anyway, like a few posts above said, it's really pretty simple to install. The first page of this thread has a good summary and I _think_ I basically captured that in the PDF.

On a side note - any sign of Cayars lately? I'd really like to see this updated to a v3 STV or at least some of the features made into imports (like the "what's recording" bar at the bottom).

-AJ
Old 11-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk
The real reason there's 182 pages - this is a very popular STV and there were a LOT of questions about the various aspects of the STV and how to integrate and new releases and...you get the idea

Anyway, like a few posts above said, it's really pretty simple to install. The first page of this thread has a good summary and I _think_ I basically captured that in the PDF.

On a side note - any sign of Cayars lately? I'd really like to see this updated to a v3 STV or at least some of the features made into imports (like the "what's recording" bar at the bottom).

-AJ
I am just excited to get it installed. IT SOUNDS VERY AWESOME!!!!!!!! I am going to try it now.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
(like the "what's recording" bar at the bottom).

-AJ
That is available with NIELM's dynamic menus import along with the space allocation right next to it.

BobP.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Someone please adopt this STV

Luckily, I'm still able to use Cayars, but I just started thinking "what's the point of Sage upgrades if my STV is almost a year old?".

Cayars is the "perfect" UI for me and I really hope someone with Studio chops will dust it off, give it a quick update, and re-release it.

I would be happy to make a donation...

Brian
Old 11-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Sage Icon

If someone were to attempt this, I would recommend starting from scratch with the stock v4 stv. It would take WAY longer to try and bring this in-line with v4 STV than it would to translate the features over to the newer one.

Plus, I always found this STV ugly, it needs a face-lift.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
That is available with NIELM's dynamic menus import along with the space allocation right next to it.

BobP.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
If someone were to attempt this, I would recommend starting from scratch with the stock v4 stv. It would take WAY longer to try and bring this in-line with v4 STV than it would to translate the features over to the newer one.

Plus, I always found this STV ugly, it needs a face-lift.
But the great thing is you can change the background, font types, font sizes, menus and sub-menus, etc. I am happy with that as long as I have access to all the plug-ins, internal screens and Sage commands.

I would like to see all the Cayars features in v.4 or as a suite of plug-ins!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
But the great thing is you can change the background, font types, font sizes, menus and sub-menus, etc. I am happy with that as long as I have access to all the plug-ins, internal screens and Sage commands.
You do realize that those font/background changes are simply property settings, right? You can still edit various font settings in the properties file (yes, I know it is easier to have that in the UI) and v4 has a hidden option to select the background image inside the UI. For that matter, Studio could be used to add the Detailed Setup options for setting fonts & so on -- add them in the Cusotmize section, since it scrolls its list of options. I almost forgot I can now tell people that you can do this in Studio!

As for changing your menus, you can import nielm's dynamic menu system for that.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
You do realize that those font/background changes are simply property settings, right? You can still edit various font settings in the properties file (yes, I know it is easier to have that in the UI) and v4 has a hidden option to select the background image inside the UI. For that matter, Studio could be used to add the Detailed Setup options for setting fonts & so on -- add them in the Cusotmize section, since it scrolls its list of options. I almost forgot I can now tell people that you can do this in Studio!

As for changing your menus, you can import nielm's dynamic menu system for that.

- Andy
Yea ... Thats what I was meaning ... I was really responding to "crashless'" comment ... I always found this STV ugly, it needs a face-lift.

Like you, I found even before Studio you could do a whole lot to change the appearance of most STV's to your liking. I suspect with a little Studio knowledge we could even take that a step further.

T.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Sage Icon

I forget who I was talking with, but some time ago I had done a mock up to completely redesign Cayar's STV, keep the functionality, but reorganize a few things, and spice up the graphics. I'll see if I can find that screen shot.

Eitherway, I stand by my first comment - it would be way faster to copy Cayars' enhancements into the Standard STV and re-release it than try and put all the new v4 features into this STV.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

After yesterday I've actually found that between the features Sage added to the defualt STV and the imports that are out there, I have all the features readily available that I liked about this STV. So, in order to help whomever's efforts, I was thinking it might be worthwhile to compose a list of features that people use/want/desire that are not readily available through the v4 STV and imports.

Just a thought...
Old 11-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I was thinking it might be worthwhile to compose a list of features that people use/want/desire that are not readily available through the v4 STV and imports.
I've whipped up a quick modification to the default V4 STV which adds in external media (video) and external DVD playback capabilities... those were the two most needed features from Cayers for me, so I did it myself.

Although I am still testing it, I think it'll work just fine with Neilm's custom menus. My modification + Neilm's menus = an effective emulation of Cayers native t0 4.0! (at least for my personal needs and wants)

Check the thread over here...
Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

v4 STV and Imports "use/want/desire"

That's a good idea, ajuhawk.

I haven't used v4 a whole lot; I just upgraded last night. But from what I've seen of v4, it's missing the great parts of Cayars 18e STV:

1.) Upcoming recordings at the bottom of your main menu screen
2.) Available HDD space/upcoming recording space needed
3.) "Malore"-style recordings listing (I think that's what it's called)
4.) Full screen-width program progress indicator at bottom of screen
5.) Full screen-width program info on top of screen
6.) Commercial detection and auto skipping during playback
7.) Ability to easily change the background image

Maybe we can start a brand new thread and let this "Cayars17 Ultimate STV..." topic rest in peace? It's gotten so long and has so many sub topics in it, it's really unreadable.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS
Maybe we can start a brand new thread and let this "Cayars17 Ultimate STV..." topic rest in peace? It's gotten so long and has so many sub topics in it, it's really unreadable.
Great idea, I've started a thread here and am in the process of updating it with what I know.