SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Sage User

Quote:
let me know.
I recorded a show from NTSC and QAM.
NTSC did receive the CC.
QAM did not.

Quote:
+1 on that. That would really be nice, but Opus's comment in another thread didn't sound good.
Which thread are you referring to?
Hopefully they can get CC working soon.
If Microsoft can do it, it can't be too hard..right
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge View Post
I recorded a show from NTSC and QAM.
NTSC did receive the CC.
QAM did not.
thanks for the confirmation that the 1600 will do NTSC Captions.

As for QAM not doing CC, how did you confirm that? With the nvidia decoder or ccextractor? The nVidia decoder won't display digital captions even if they are in the recording. So far, I have only gotten digital captions to display with the PowerDVD or WinDVD decoders. Neither decoder is perfect, powerDVD does display captions from all digital channels, but garbled and unreadable. Windvd displays perfectly, but only on some recordings(I haven't figured out the specifics on why it will work with on some recordings and not others. It may be a .PS/.TS issue, since I record both via QAM and Firewire.)

DId you try using ccextractor to extract out captions to see if they are present?

Quote:
Which thread are you referring to?
Hopefully they can get CC working soon.
If Microsoft can do it, it can't be too hard..right
From the Extender FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Can closed captions be displayed on an extender?

A: Probably not without a customization.

I don't believe an extender can display closed captions using a default setup. Check the List of available customizations for the Closed Captions Playback plugin for a possible solution.

DVD Subtitles should be able to be shown, however.
IF it can do DVD subtitles, why can't it do DVD captions, I dunno? Since at least the analog captions are recorded as CCinDVD. Digital captions may be a little different, but they should be standardized and should be accessable wit hthe correct decoder settings.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
thanks for the confirmation that the 1600 will do NTSC Captions.

As for QAM not doing CC, how did you confirm that?
DId you try using ccextractor to extract out captions to see if they are present?
I used ccextractor.
I ran it on a few different shows and I'm not sure which tuner was being used for which show. In the guide when it's recording, it shows a 1 and a 2 so I'm guessing that indicates the tuner and is based on the order it was set up. I'll have to pay attention and jot down what it says so I can match it with the show.

One show I know for sure was NTSC and the CC came out fine.
I ran the extractor on another show (not sure if it was QAM) and it came out garbled.
A few other shows did show any CC info (not even garbled)

Quote:
IF it can do DVD subtitles, why can't it do DVD captions, I dunno? Since at least the analog captions are recorded as CCinDVD. Digital captions may be a little different, but they should be standardized and should be accessable wit hthe correct decoder settings.

I know I'll probably end up getting the extender (even though the bundle pricing doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon), but not having CC will severely affect the WAF
Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Doing an install of sage on a new partition with Vista basic, the other partition is Vista Ultimate.

Computer has two AverTV M780 PCIe cards. I need closed captions to work !!
With sage;
OTA CC works with sage mpeg decoder or Powerdvd codec.
NTSC has no CC ?
DVB mpeg files will display CC with FFDshow.

With Vista Media Center
all the above have CC.

What can I do to get NTSC CC working? (live tV and recordings)

Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

AFAIK, you can't get NTSC captions with that card in Sage. Sage uses a different method than Windows MC to capture the captions. It is a driver issue and only the Hauppauge cards support it.

DIgital recording CC works because the CC is embedded in the stream and Sage only has to capture the stream.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Would a Hauppauge PVR-150 work or does it have to be the 350 or 500?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Sage Icon

PVR-150/250/350/500 and HVR-1600/1800 will do analog CC. The USB tuners don't do analog CC.