SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I'm ready for HDTV support and I'm sure there's many more people who are as well. It's true, we're a small portion of the market now, but given that there's really no viable HDTV PVR solution, the first person to deliver one probably stands to reach a sizeable market. I'd bet that HDTV enabled Sage could grow far quicker than SDTV Sage, given the competition in the SDTV PVR market, and the small number of people who have even heard of sage. Many HDTV user's already have HTPCs, so adding sage is relatively simple.

As for the encryption, there are already cards which allow HDTV recording, so clearly this has been tackled by others. I'm not even sure if OTA is encrypted, and so far the broadcast flag and HDCP haven't come to pass. If they do, they're going to have to allow some sort of backwards compatibility for existing HDTV and HDTV-Ready TV owners who lack HDCP support. I see these things as concerns for the card manufacturers more so than software developers and end users.

Anyhow, here's hoping I can Sage in HD soon!
Old 06-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

How about getting some On Screen Display functionality going for the PVR350 tv out. Even some very simple OSD would help the usability for those of dont want to (or cant) have a monitor sitting next to the TV.

I know alot of people are buying this card for small Via EPIA based HTPCs, because they not really fast enough to do software mpg decoding. Also, the TV out quality on the PVR350 is also so much better than the tvout supplied by these EPIA motherboards.

Is this anywhere in the priority list?
Old 06-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Sage

sub,
The 350 OSD is on the list for the future, can't give an estimate as to when yet. As for the EPIA based PCs. That's what I use for my client HTPC when I watch TV. And I use it's MPEG2 decoding acceleration and get great performance. And you definitely need to modify the color settings for the TV output...the defaults look horrible, but a little tweaking gets a pretty nice picture. And I use 30%CPU when watching TV.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Narflex, what resolution and bitrate are you running? Also, what mpeg2 codec are you using? Anything else that may be relevant?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Sage Icon

Narflex,

Can you give me your EPIA's exact specs? I believe I have tried every codec/card combo with DXVA enabled and have had nothing less than 80% cpu . Its been driving me crazy! Any input is appreciated.

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
sub,
The 350 OSD is on the list for the future, can't give an estimate as to when yet. As for the EPIA based PCs. That's what I use for my client HTPC when I watch TV. And I use it's MPEG2 decoding acceleration and get great performance. And you definitely need to modify the color settings for the TV output...the defaults look horrible, but a little tweaking gets a pretty nice picture. And I use 30%CPU when watching TV.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Sage Icon

Beuler?
Old 06-19-2003, 07:30 PM
Sage

Look around the forums, I've posted them a dozen times....
Old 06-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Sage Icon

Youll have to forgive me, but thats not the response I was looking for. I have looked around, and have found tons of bits and peices. I have not yet found a complete combination of codec/card/drivers/etc/etc.. I was hoping that after all the problems that I have had with this particular board, that others would not have to.

If I find all the information that you have posted, I will compile it and post it for others.

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
Look around the forums, I've posted them a dozen times....

Last edited by insomniac; 06-19-2003 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Insomniac, I found the following threads in which Narflex posted his systems specs.

http://www.freytechnologies.com/foru...highlight=epia

In the last one Narflex talks about the codecs he uses.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Sage Icon

Thank you for the links. Link 2 and 3 are the same (no codec link), but I will look around more when I am less irritated.

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by jmeeks
Insomniac, I found the following threads in which Narflex posted his systems specs.

In the last one Narflex talks about the codecs he uses.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm also yet to see the CPU at less than %80 on my Epia M10000 (nehemiah core).

The most frustrating thing is the difference in picture between the TV out on my Epia motherboard and TV out on my PVR350. The TV out on the PVR350 is sooooo good and uses just about no CPU. The Epia's is just average, and consume virtually all the available CPU.

On the PVR350 I could live without OSD (over live TV picture) if only I could get the guide and other SageTV menus through the PVR350's TV out.

QUESTION TO FREYTECHNOLOGIES: How about it guys? Any chance you could MPEG2 encode the guide and menu screens so that they can be sent out the Hauppauge Decoder filter to the PVR350's TV out?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by sub
QUESTION TO FREYTECHNOLOGIES: How about it guys? Any chance you could MPEG2 encode the guide and menu screens so that they can be sent out the Hauppauge Decoder filter to the PVR350's TV out?
Come'on people! As Narflex stated earlier, OSD for the PVR-350 is slated for a future release and there is no release date as of yet. Have patience! As far as I'm concerned, development and progress on SageTV has been more than sufficient, and considering SageTV is such a new product, it has a lot more functionality than other PVR solutions out there already.

Keep up the good work Frey Technologies!

comprat
Old 06-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Dont get me wrong, I think SageTV is a great product and coming along very nicely.

To be quite honest, I dont think Frey Technologies know how to implement OSD on the PVR350, so I'm just suggesting one possible approach. Hauppauge arn't the best at supplying technical information, and we've yet to see OSD on the 350 in *any* application (including Hauppauge's WinTV2K).

There seems to be a growing community of people like myself that have an underpowered EPIA motherboard and had hoped to rely on the PVR350's hardware decoder (& encoder) to ensure we can get good performance.

Frey Technologies owe me nothing, and I'm happy with my purchase - I'm just making a suggestion.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thats great news! I look forward to it.

edit: Strangely I'm referring to Jeffs post after this one...

Last edited by sub; 06-22-2003 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Sage

FYI - I do know how to do OSD on the 350. I've already done a proof of concept on it. The full integration of it; however, is time consuming.