SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 02-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Sage Icon

Sorry to spoil the fun guys, but you've all been lied to.. Edison and his cohorts didn't want you to know the truth.

http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/science/darksucker.html
Old 02-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Sorry -- but that is what happens when someone w/o a good background in physics and simple wiring know-how tries to come up with an explanation for his goof: he simply wired up his lamps backwards and then tried to find a fancy reason for what happened, in the process getting a whole bunch of things wrong. Bulbs really do emit light. We proved this in a very simple freshman physics class. A standard car headlight casing was turned on, then moved across the room faster than the speed of light. Since the bulb's container was moving faster than light, any light emitted couldn't escape out the front, nor could it leave via the silvered backing, so it all stayed in the container. When it was stopped on the other side of the room, the light that had collected in the casing spilled out, proving that the bulb really did emit light.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cool! So xenon flash tubes are controlled photonic explosions?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
1 (Cayars) to provide a lighbulb-like STV for free

3 suggesting we try out the newest lightbulb beta

11 wondering why their remote doesn't turn on/off the lightbulb fast enough

5 to flame Dan for not releasing "Light Bulb Studio"
spelling error on line one

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
Please, this is a SageTV forum, discussion of lightbulbs should be done in a lgiht fixture forum not here.
spelling error in this posting too...

The correct spelling is "litebulb" "remember the spelling was officially changed with the start of lowfat no carbohydrates diets you might have seen on tv"

And I should know how to spell, I just graduated from Harvard Law school and just got an email letting me know my degree is ready for me to download... now if I could just figure out how to put the degree style stationery into the printer so I can print it out and frame it!!!

Does anybody know what a black flashing litebulb on a Canon printer is supposed to indicate? it seems to be leaking stuff too (if that helps)
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just became aware of the lightbulb issue. I haven't searched the web on this. is it ok to put a 40 watt in place of a 60 watt. will it burn out faster since the fixture is made for a 60 watt

could we have a module in sage warn us about lightbulbs that are about to burn out? It is very inconvienient to change channels in the dark.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_15
could we have a module in sage warn us about lightbulbs that are about to burn out? It is very inconvienient to change channels in the dark.
I think the first requirement is to have a Sage server running at each lightbulb location with optical sensors that note the position of the switch, level of natural light, and energy emisson levels from the bulb. Those are my initial thoughts...

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix
Old 02-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_15
...It is very inconvienient to change channels in the dark.
Changing channels in the dark?... try changing lightbulbs in the dark, it's just ridiculous.

Client 1 & 2: 50in Samsung DLP, 34in Insignia LCD, nMedia HTPC180, WinXP Pro SP2, SageTV Client v7 beta, XBMC, AMD XP2800, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB hdd, ATI HD3450, built-in audio, Firefly
Old 02-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walts81
try changing lightbulbs in the dark, it's just ridiculous.
That's why I change mine before they burn out -- that way I still have light & can see what I'm doing.

As for a 40w bulb in a 60 w socket... you can do that, but you have to add a watt limiter to the line before the socket, or else split the line in two in order to reduce the signal so that the bulb doesn't get overloaded. You have to be careful: too little power & you end up with a noisy bulb; too much power and you end up with ghosting. If you have problems, call the power company to send a tech out to your house. If you ask, he might leave some free bulbs while checking your lines.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone have a good lightbulb avatar?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
That's why I change mine before they burn out -- that way I still have light & can see what I'm doing.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't recommend doing this. The bulbs get really hot when they're on. You have to change them really fast. I have some blisters on my hands right now. I just learned about this on the Internet.

Quote:
If you have problems, call the power company to send a tech out to your house. If you ask, he might leave some free bulbs while checking your lines.
Last time the lightbulb guy was out to my house, I took a whole case of them out of his truck while he wasn't looking. I was afraid he would tell me no if I asked him if I could have 100.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz5
I see where you're coming from, but I don't recommend doing this. The bulbs get really hot when they're on. You have to change them really fast. I have some blisters on my hands right now. I just learned about this on the Internet.
Ouch! Sorry about that. I now realize that I completely forgot one important part. If you want to do things the way I was suggesting, you need to buy at least 1, maybe 2, UED-UHCP devices. (Universal Extremeties Device - Universal Heat/Cold Protector) These are cloth or leather enclosures that fit over your hand to enable "live-bulb" changing.

Oh yeah -- be sure to spend a little extra for the model with the additional 5-digit capability, which has an individual compartment for each finger.

- Andy
Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
SageTV Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
Submit a support request. I bet George knows the answer.
I sure do.

Have you tried doing a clean reinstall of the lightbulb? Have you actually flicked the light switch to the on position? Try another lightbulb, if that works then it must be the lightbulb. Send an email to GE.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Sage Icon

Lightbulb

Quote:
..to enable "live-bulb" changing.

- Andy
So you have one of those hot-swap lightbulb sets? Amazing all the new technologies these days. If I ever buy a house, I'll have to look into that fault-tolerant lighting.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming

Last edited by korben_dallas; 02-10-2005 at 08:24 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

is there a good codec known for a maximum compression of a litebulb without any quality-loss ? i run out of my storage-space, because my litebulb server has limited capacity...
will compressed litebulbs give the same lux as uncompressed ones ?
would a P iV 3,2 GHz be enough to uncompress a litebulb in realtime ?
Should i eventually format the litebulb-partition with 32 kb clusters for better performance ?
Should i consider a litebulb-Raid5 ?
Which of the bulbs take the parity informations ?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Administrator

I don't know about the rest of it, but speaking of hot swap bulb sets & bulb-raid5... I just received an email telling me that a bulb was out! That was awesome -- I looked up & sure enough, a bulb had gone out in my office. Luckily, the online spare automatically took its place until I get the replacement for the bad one.

- Andy
Old 02-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bulb-raid5 is definitely the way to go. And make sure to use SCSI bulbs (a little more expensive but definitely brighter and higher quality). You'll need at least a 3-way bulb for raid5. And if it goes bad, just rebuild it.

Client 1 & 2: 50in Samsung DLP, 34in Insignia LCD, nMedia HTPC180, WinXP Pro SP2, SageTV Client v7 beta, XBMC, AMD XP2800, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB hdd, ATI HD3450, built-in audio, Firefly
Old 02-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

should i prefer a hardware scsi-bulb-raid5 ? Are there performance issues with the integrated software raid of the winbulb xp (lumen pack 3) ?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Sage User

Can someone pleeeeeeeese tell me where and when I can get Lightbulb Studio? I'm so tired of having to wait for G.E. to do everything for me.

Also, with the amount of money I've invested in bulbs so far, Lightbulb 3.0 had better allow me to see when my eyelids are closed or it will be back to Gaslamp 1.4 for me.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

How can this thread goes more than 2 months without kny chiming in....? ;-)
Old 02-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Don't know about him but i somehow missed this very important thread.

BTW has anybody found the solution to the lightbulb stuttering issue that has popped up in 2.1 to 2.5? Im interested to know so i can reinable lightbulb service on my lightbulb system.
AMD athlon64X2 3800+, Foxconn (Winfast 6150K8MA-8EKRS) 6150, Windows Vista Ultimate, Geforce FX EVGA 7800gt CO, 1gig 400mhz ddr Ram, 500 gig Western Digital Sata 2 hard drive 8 meg cache, Tuners: Wintv PVR 500 dual tuner, Fusion3 GoldT, NEC 3540a dvd+rw, Sagetv 5.0 Dell 20.1" 2005FPW