SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-25-2005, 07:48 AM
Sage User

I also have an all Mac household with 4 Mac's netowrked with my Dell SC420 server/PVR.

All Mac's use VLC to browse and play the Sage recordings on the SC420.

I have all three drives on the SC420 shared and the 100BT wired network supports streaming the Sage files quite well.

And I did not have to pay extra $$$ for the Quicktime upgrade.
W2K SP4 PVR 350

Last edited by ezeitler; 05-25-2005 at 07:49 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 05-26-2005, 01:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sbryan Send a message via AIM to sbryan
Information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan
I don’t own a Mac, but I have thought about maybe buying one someday. I’ve been misinformed by a guy at my work that is a Mac evangelist who told me that PCI cards would work on Macs. To me, the USB PVR seems like it is a poor alternative to using a PCI PVR card.
Well, it is possible to use PCI cards with a Mac. I've used many though in most cases they were provided with Mac drivers specifically for that purpose. The Mac I'm using now has an ATI Radeon AGP card that was sold for Windows but I flashed its EPROM so it works quite nicely in my Mac. I do have a USB PVR for my Mac which is from Elgato. I have found it works remarkably well. They also make a range of PVR products from Elgato that often use FireWire to connect.

But I'm here because I'm interested in attempting to make a client program that works with a Sage server and runs on Mac OS X. Does anyone know if there have been any public projects with that goal and/or protocol information to use as a starting point?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, I just ordered Elgato's EyeTV 200 for my Power Mac, but it would be great to have the flexibility and functionality of Sage to go with it. I think we'll be seeing more and more people switching to Mac as (hopefully, given the trends set by mini) their prices come down and people start to realize how much better (more stable, intuitive, speedier, etc.) the Mac OS is than Windows. And I use both, but hands down the Macs are better in almost every way (except not having Sage!)... Hopefully Sage will catch the trend and start thinking in those directions, if they aren't already.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Sage Expert

I also have an all-Mac (PowerMac, 2 iMacs, Cube & PowerBook) household. I put together a PC to run sage & strung it on a G wireless network connection. I copy shows to the Macs for making DVDs and also use the Macs to create transcode DVDs to AVI and upload to the sage machine. Streams well to Quicktime even over the wireless. I'm happy with this arrangement and would rather use a PC than waste one of my Macs as a dedicated server.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
While I agree that I probably wouldn't personally put my Sage server on one of my Macs, I'd kill to have the SageTV client running there.

t
Old 05-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'd also like to see the client ported to Mac and Linux.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Apparently there is mythTV OS X client. Since the TV season is over and Sage 3.0 is still MIA, i'm gonna be playing with a myth setup with a linux backend and a OS X front end. If I have any luck i'll prolly post my experience on htpcnews.com forums. Of coarse by the time I get it working Sage 3.0 will come out and all my work will prolly have been a waste of time, but I need something to do in the meantime
Old 06-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

This might possibly be the most ridiculous idea ever but. . .

Why not take this into our own hands? Would it be that difficult to write a front end for OS X that would at least all ow people to watch recorded TV, and imported movies over a network by reading the info from a sage server?

I admit that I have absolutely no programming prowess so don't know what this would entail. . . I am however a graphic designer and would be happy to do all the gui work. . .

Any interest?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, sure. I'm a java programmer. And having a graphic designer on the team I'd consider a requirement. There a few things to consider here, though:

1) Some level of support from Sage
2) License - will we be able to GPL or LGPL it? How about a BSD type license model? Maybe Sage would be more open to that?
3) Tiger vs. Panther vs. older Macs
4) Sage V3 (see #1)
5) # of people involved. We don't need a dozen people, but more than two. At least one should be a seasoned Mac/Java guy(or woman) and take the lead.

Hm, how about a plugin for firefox ..

Edit: see this http://www.annodex.net/software/Anno...efoxExtension/
There's a version for panther.

Last edited by flavius; 06-06-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well,
Judging by previous posts, I don't think we can expect much in terms of support from Sage.

I definitely think Tiger support is the thing to concentrate on.

Couldn't there just be a front end for mplayer or something that is able to read the recording descriptions from Sage?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulprops77
Well,
Judging by previous posts, I don't think we can expect much in terms of support from Sage.

I definitely think Tiger support is the thing to concentrate on.

Couldn't there just be a front end for mplayer or something that is able to read the recording descriptions from Sage?
A future MAC client done by Sage can't be the reason, but maybe this does play a role http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=78977

And yes, I would rely on quicktime or vlc to play the recordings.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

I wonder how the Apple move to Intel is going to impact this. . .