SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I have had problems in version 2 since the beginning with stuttering and sluggish GUI.

I just bought 2 new 512 sticks of ram, put them in, and everything is great again!!!

I have had the computer on for about a week, and Sage is still running blazing fast.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

I am still having these stutter issues with VMR9 and version 2.2.7

I have tried all the tweaks and they don't help at all. The stuttering I'm seeing is more like a bounce. It's especially prevelant on the weather channel, with the white text everywhere. It continuosly shifts up and down. It's possible the feild order switching??

I've tried Nvidia DVD decoder, Intervideo NonCss and the Sage Mpeg decoder. They all exhibit this problem, with Sage decoder have the problem way worse than the other two.

My CPU during playback with hardware acceleration enabled is around 20-30%. I'm running an AMD 1400 with368 megs of ram as a client.

I have been puching "exclusive fullscreen" mode, as it would most definately take care of this problem. However, since it seems that may never be implimented, it's really dissapointing that there is no "fix" for this, even as 2.2 is released.

I have tried an MX 440 64 meg and a GF 5500 256 meg, both have the same problem.

I've updated all the drivers on the system to the latest versions.

HELP!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Sage Icon

I had random issues(stuttering, freezes in gui, etc) with running different stv's as of lately, and tried everything to fix the problem. The end resolution(as of the last couple of days at least!) was to make my pagefile static. It seemed that my pagefile was in use and right at the cusp of full. Windows was kicking in and autospanning everytime anything was happening on the machine. After switching to a larger static pagefile, problem=gone.

I highly suggest that people give it a try....

I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
I am still having these stutter issues with VMR9 and version 2.2.7

I have tried all the tweaks and they don't help at all. The stuttering I'm seeing is more like a bounce. It's especially prevelant on the weather channel, with the white text everywhere. It continuosly shifts up and down. It's possible the feild order switching??

I've tried Nvidia DVD decoder, Intervideo NonCss and the Sage Mpeg decoder. They all exhibit this problem, with Sage decoder have the problem way worse than the other two.

My CPU during playback with hardware acceleration enabled is around 20-30%. I'm running an AMD 1400 with368 megs of ram as a client.

I have been puching "exclusive fullscreen" mode, as it would most definately take care of this problem. However, since it seems that may never be implimented, it's really dissapointing that there is no "fix" for this, even as 2.2 is released.

I have tried an MX 440 64 meg and a GF 5500 256 meg, both have the same problem.

I've updated all the drivers on the system to the latest versions.

HELP!

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Sage Expert

I think some of the constant playback stuttering problems are what I'm having, as described here: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=10516

Although my video card is a little slow, the playback works fine with every other program including WMP. Also, I tried overclocking the video card to see if that made a difference during playback, but the stutters were still there every few seconds. I haven't tried any of the tips suggested in this thread, but I will tonight.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Sage Icon

I've got my virtual memory set to "windows managed size"... Do you think I should change that?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Sage Icon

absolutely. Thats actually a change that you make on servers right out of the box. Change it to:

Initial size - 1.5-2 times your memory size
Maximum size - same as initial

then click set. If you just hit ok, it will not have changed

err...well thats 2k,xp, 2003 instructions. Sounds like you have 98 or milenium, but you should get the idea.

Let me know if this works for you.

I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
I've got my virtual memory set to "windows managed size"... Do you think I should change that?

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixTracks
Well, I have had problems in version 2 since the beginning with stuttering and sluggish GUI.

I just bought 2 new 512 sticks of ram, put them in, and everything is great again!!!

I have had the computer on for about a week, and Sage is still running blazing fast.
If this is the soution to the problem then Frey Sould update the requirements since the system requirements are 128MB with 256 MB Recommended.

I did not have any problems in 2.0 with stuttering on my current system and now once and a while it is like everything is in slow motion. I still think something has changed that occasionally causes the client to take processing away from the playback or the network retrieval of video data. Before when I set the number of disk buffers to 512 from 32 it would eliminate this problem. Now the problem is worse with anything more than 32 buffers.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 03-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Sage Expert

I tried the two things at the begining of this thread and they didn't help. I increased my page file size to 1.5 gig and that did help, but playback still skips every few seconds.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Sage Icon

Just making sure...did you set it to a static size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney
I tried the two things at the begining of this thread and they didn't help. I increased my page file size to 1.5 gig and that did help, but playback still skips every few seconds.

My sage rigs:
Old 03-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Sage Icon

What I found last night

Thought I should share last nights findings.

I started watching a show on my client machine in the front room. ( windows xp sp2, 3gb/512mb, latest nvidia decoders/drivers, fx5200 svid out ) This was a previously recorded show recorded via DVB-S network encoder. The playback was got pretty choppy(this isnt new, just giving the symptoms again). Almost like you could see quick flashes of light immediately followed by a quick choppiness. Audio was fine.

So I assumed it was my DVB recording that was the problem. nope. Other recordings that werent recorded by my DVB card were the same.

So after hunting around a bit and trying different settings, I decided to give up and go try watching these shows on my MVP in the bedroom. Everything displayed perfectly. ARRRRRRRGH!

Now none of this might be any great surprise to anyone, but i thought I should "put it in the blog"..

Tonight I will attempt to try other codecs on the client machine, but I can already know they will not work. As I have tried all the codecs in the past, with same results.

To me, this is clearly a sage client issue introduced in 2.x, which I hope gets figured out soon! As it has rendered my front room viewing useless...sigh

FYI: I had made no hardware/software/OS patches since the sage upgrade path of doom. Since my sage version upgrade, the only thing I have changed was updated to the latest nvidia drivers & codecs (post symptom).

hope this helps someone...

I.

My sage rigs:
Old 03-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Sage Expert

Yea...both initial and max values were set to the same value. Skips were reduced a little, but were still present every 20 seconds on average.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Sage Expert

I found that the NVIDIA codec is much worse than any other codecs (all on overlay). It slows down to about 1 frame every 2 seconds (smart or automatic) while others just skip.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Sage Icon

unfortunately, whether or not the nvidia codec is worse than the others, the problem still persists. So it seems that the nvidia just displays the problem better?

My sage rigs:
Old 03-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Sage User

Sage - Stuttering

Has anyone in this forum tried the quartz.dll fix mentioned in other threads? Apparently microsoft has a problem in DX9.0c with this DLL and you need to replace it with DX9.0b release of quartz.dll. This has fixed stuttering for some people.

-osarika
Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, the quartz.dll fix is for something slightly different. I would call it's symptoms a stutter, more like a deinterlacing freak out. Everything gets really jerky.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Sage Icon

I wouldnt say this was a fix for my earlier post, but I have found a workaround that works for me. Although I do still get random long freezes, etc, I have seemed to fix the micro stutters for now. I had setup ffdshow in the past when I had a weaker video card that just didnt have enough juice to run it smoothly. Well I decided to give it a try. Stutter=gone.

I just cant seem to remember how to tell which codec ffdshow is using! Can someone help me on this?

anyway...you might want to look into ffdshow anyway. Its by far the best PQ ive ever had w/ sage.

I.

My sage rigs:
Old 03-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

My problems did not go away until I fixed my network connection between the client and server.

I inadvertedly set the link to 100Mb when it should have been AutoNeg / Gigabit. Plus I turned on jumbo frames, but you have to make sure the switch and all network interfaces support jumbo frames.

-MrD
Old 03-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Sage Expert

Ok, last night I upgraded from an NVIDIA geforce4 mx 4000 to a 6600 GT. It helped with the stuttering/freezing with the Cyberlink codec, making it stutter about once every 30 to 40 seconds. However, using the NVIDIA codec is still just as bad.

This issue really needs to be fixed. After spending all that money, I'm very disapointed that this isn't working.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to abbott_m
Here's a notion for everyone. I was messing around with letting my drives fill up and see how sage manages the drive space. Up until I let it fill up I never get stuttering, now I'm seeing some stuttering, although mild.

I did this before when I just set my drives to use all disk space (all are on their own drive, not shared with windows or anything, just video) and the stuttering was so bad I had to delete everything recorded during that period.

Now I've got my drives set to use all but 10gb and I'm still getting mild stuttering but not to the point of making shows unwatchable. Could this be a similar situation everyone is having? If so this is something of a major problem that needs to be addressed.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Administrator

abbott_m: What cluster/allocation size is being used on those partitions? If they are using smaller than 64K blocks, fragmentation can also cause stuttering.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.