SageTV Community

SageTV Community (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardware Support (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62943)

SHS 02-08-2016 05:28 AM

Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Price at $99 you can have look at it
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/websto...re_quadhd.html
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_quadhd.html

KeithAbbott 02-08-2016 06:53 AM

According to the website, pricing is $99.

SHS 02-08-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithAbbott (Post 584636)
According to the website, pricing is $99.

Your right but it wasn't when I was looking at it

KeithAbbott 02-08-2016 08:52 AM

So four digital tuners, and two analog tuners. Four simultaneous digital channels can be recorded, any idea how many digital channels can be recorded if you are also recording an analog channel?

SHS 02-08-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithAbbott (Post 584642)
So four digital tuners, and two analog tuners. Four simultaneous digital channels can be recorded, any idea how many digital channels can be recorded if you are also recording an analog channel?

Only four ATSC or clear QAM channel, two Analog channel as thoses pages are still under development :rofl:

KeithAbbott 02-08-2016 10:52 AM

OK, that makes a little more sense...

sacrament055 02-10-2016 09:29 AM

Any idea if SageTV will be able to recognize this card and use all 4 tuners?

SHS 02-10-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacrament055 (Post 584732)
Any idea if SageTV will be able to recognize this card and use all 4 tuners?

No idea at this time

trallyus 02-10-2016 10:26 AM

I wrote Hauppage and got the following reply back from them if it helps anyone

The Price has not been finalized as of yet and also we are still testing the card with Sage.

So it sounds like they are trying to support sage after I complained that Sage was not dead like they thought :)

SHS 02-10-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trallyus (Post 584735)

The Price has not been finalized as of yet and also we are still testing the card with Sage.

So it sounds like they are trying to support sage after I complained that Sage was not dead like they thought :)

Here an example with SageTV and USB DualHD it yes see it but it see it as only one tuner.
SageTV need it to work like this
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture 2
SageTV only see like this
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture

SageTV dosen't see it as
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner 2

So for now SageTV can't make use of both tuners where other apps like NextPVR, SichboPVR see both Tuner as in Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner and Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner 2"
SageTV need be update there and I think it going to be the same with new quadHD Tuners
As the WinTV-dualHD has one USB bridge, and two tuners where the WinTV-quadHD has two PCIe bridges, with each bridge having two tuners from what I was told.

I been talking with Hauppauge about SageTV as SageTV move forword as it get new installer hopely Schedules Direct EPG will get add in.
I don't think we have any onr doing code fixing for new Tuners or Capture device rigth now.

SHS 02-10-2016 12:54 PM

Cool basic it look like SageTV should see all 4 Tuner unlike with the WinTV-dualHD

trallyus 02-10-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHS (Post 584741)
Cool basic it look like SageTV should see all 4 Tuner unlike with the WinTV-dualHD

I told Hauppage about the WinTV-DualHD tuner with Sage as well and hope they fix it too as I bought one after my 1600 stopped getting what it used to.

Also I tweeted the problem to them too via twitter

Monedeath 02-11-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trallyus (Post 584735)

Good to hear. Probably will snag one if somebody reports they managed to get it working with SageTV9. (7 would do too, as that would tend to indicate it should work in 9)

Monedeath 02-11-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithAbbott (Post 584642)

Probably 2 if it behaves like their earlier tuners with both digital and analog abilities. You can record four channels at once, up to 4 digital or 2 digital and 2 analog(or 3 digital and 1 analog). Do note I said channels, not sub-channels, as that is a slightly different critter. One that SageTV presently lacks an implementation for(being able to pull all or multiple sub-channels off a single tuner), so Sage treats a sub-channel like a normal channel.

cjbojrab 02-11-2016 08:34 AM

I am looking forward to getting this board and hope SageTV V7 will support it. We occasionally have 3 favorites recording at the same time with conflicts and this should help with that.

SHS 02-14-2016 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it here nice board and small but sadly it has the same problem as dualHD but sagetv see two of four tuner
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/atta...1&d=1455482282

nyplayer 02-14-2016 02:43 PM

This could be the final Nail in SageTv if it cannot make use of new tuners it is a shame as SageTV as a PVR has no competition.

tvmaster2 02-14-2016 06:26 PM

yes, it would be great if the 'old guard' would comment on these kinds of things, aka any chance that this kind of functionality is something Narflex et al may address.
Also, how many of us still has a cable company that supplies ClearQam anymore at the wall jack?

Monedeath 02-14-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvmaster2 (Post 584881)
yes, it would be great if the 'old guard' would comment on these kinds of things, aka any chance that this kind of functionality is something Narflex et al may address.
Also, how many of us still has a cable company that supplies ClearQam anymore at the wall jack?

I was going to use it OTA, and I believe I still have QAM available, but as there are only like 5 channels(only 2 of which see use) on it that I can't get OTA, didn't see the point with how annoying it was to configure to the channel lineup. (And how often it shifted around prior to giving up)

Is there perhaps a "backdoor" way into the other tuners by using them as network tuners? Might have to consider donating to the OpenDCT guys.

EnterNoEscape 02-14-2016 09:30 PM

New DirectShow and Video4Linux devices are things I want to support on OpenDCT, but I am only one developer and getting where I'm trying to go is going to take time. Sadly for now all you will be able to use is HDHomeRun devices and InfiniTV. I really want to get a web interface involved before we start adding much more because the configuration file is already a little complicated and it's only going to get worse.

trallyus 02-15-2016 11:24 AM

Hauppage does have a Software Developers Toolkit for the Hauppauge TV tuners mentioned at http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support.html but not sure if it would help us

Monedeath 02-16-2016 09:01 AM

I do see they offer "WinTV Extend" which does make the tuner into "a network device" of sorts, but through their WinTV(V7.2 or newer) software which creates an access path through http.

Probably easier to just fix SageTV's side of it in V9.

Of course, if you crack their http tuning, you get use of every Hauppauge device that works with the newer versions of WinTV.

SHS 02-16-2016 10:17 AM

I believe the problem is with in the DShowCapture.dll
Rigth now even WinTV 8 can't even make use of all the tuners
For now only apps see all tuner and that is NextPVR and SichboPVR.

EnterNoEscape 02-16-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monedeath (Post 584928)
I do see they offer "WinTV Extend" which does make the tuner into "a network device" of sorts, but through their WinTV(V7.2 or newer) software which creates an access path through http.

Probably easier to just fix SageTV's side of it in V9.

Of course, if you crack their http tuning, you get use of every Hauppauge device that works with the newer versions of WinTV.

With my luck they would change it on new releases. I have been sticking to what's documented so I can have the greatest chance of not having an update break everything. You usually get decent notice of changes on published API's.

I do have a few random Hauppauge tuners. I'll play with it for a day, but I have a feeling I'm not going to come to any good conclusions.

Update: Well that was fast. I only needed to read that you have to pay for the very latest. Also its support doesn't appear to span the entire Hauppauge line. That's enough to make me go the more traditional and free route.

Monedeath 02-16-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHS (Post 584930)
I believe the problem is with in the DShowCapture.dll
Rigth now even WinTV 8 can't even make use of all the tuners
For now only apps see all tuner and that is NextPVR and SichboPVR.

A quick peek over here:

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...HCWEncoder.cpp

Suggests to me that it is hard coded, and will only check for up to two devices/tuners per piece of (hauppauge) hardware. Might be as simple as someone doing a copy/paste and incrementing to 3 then 4 on the right part and have it check for 4 rather than 2, then rebuild the .dll file.

(Although that isn't a good practice to be in now, probably should shift to a loop that checks until a failure condition is met, then moves on. Saves from having to revise code later to add a 5th tuner, 6th tuner, and so on, and potentially reduces the amount of overall code. Although I could understand doing it that way back when it was just 2)

Probably a few other parts to chase down, or not. I'll let someone who actually knows what they're doing pass judgement, I just know enough to be highly dangerous. :eek:

SHS 02-17-2016 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monedeath (Post 584937)
A quick peek over here:

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...HCWEncoder.cpp

Suggests to me that it is hard coded, and will only check for up to two devices/tuners per piece of (hauppauge) hardware. Might be as simple as someone doing a copy/paste and incrementing to 3 then 4 on the right part and have it check for 4 rather than 2, then rebuild the .dll file.

(Although that isn't a good practice to be in now, probably should shift to a loop that checks until a failure condition is met, then moves on. Saves from having to revise code later to add a 5th tuner, 6th tuner, and so on, and potentially reduces the amount of overall code. Although I could understand doing it that way back when it was just 2)

Probably a few other parts to chase down, or not. I'll let someone who actually knows what they're doing pass judgement, I just know enough to be highly dangerous. :eek:

That is for the Hardware Encoder Setup Config for PVR 150, 250 and 350 and I'm pettey sure some new model like the HVR model 1600, 1850, 1950 to and also is in the DeviceVerify.cpp which where HVR 2250 is to.

The one I think it is, is in the DeviceDiscovery.cpp as it ref to "Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture" the problem is that dosen't see "Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture 2" which the 2nd tuner on very same hardware hardware id/sub-id it a dual tuner with a pair of chip make up a Quad Tuner in fact I think it going be the same problem with min dual or quad tuners. like from TBS DTV Technology devcie model.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/atta...1&d=1455705679

I'm pettey sure that SageTV is build is around one device id so there each tuners has to have own id in order for sagetv to see the device.

Monedeath 02-17-2016 09:28 AM

Looking at that(DeviceDiscovery.cpp) it seems the 885 was specifically coded for checking to see if it was a 1250/1255/1550, which was treated as something that would detect as a hybrid tuner, but wasn't to be treated as one. I doubt that conditional is involved in this issue.

Code:

if ( strstr( NewCaptureName, "Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture") )
                                {
                                        DEVICE_DRV_INF  CaptureDrvInfo={0};
                                        GetDeviceInfo( FilterName, &CaptureDrvInfo );
                                        if ( strstr( CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc, "HVR-1250") || strstr( CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc, "HVR-1255") ||
                                                strstr( CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc, "HVR-1550")  )
                                        {
                                                slog((env, "it's a HVR-1250 share tuner, not a real hybride tuner! (%s) \r\n", CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc ) );                               
                                                IsHybrideTuner = false;
                                        } else
                                        {
                                                slog((env, "It's a hybride tuner %s '%s'. \r\n", NewCaptureName, CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc ) );                               
                                        }
                                } else
                                {
                                        DEVICE_DRV_INF  CaptureDrvInfo={0};
                                        GetDeviceInfo( FilterName, &CaptureDrvInfo );
                                        slog((env, "It's a hybride tuner %s '%s'. \r\n", NewCaptureName, CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc ) );                                       
                                }

Looks like there was some further coding specific to what Sage believed to be Anysee USB tuners as well. Getting the impression it assumes USB = 1 tuner, which would explain your issue with the USB tuner if it is being picked up as a "anysee tuner"

Code:

//ZQ hard code for anysee tuner
                        if ( j < numDev )
                        {
                                //Anysee hybrid tuners share the same loc (USB)
                                if ( !strncmp( DevName[j].FriendlyName, "anysee BDA Digital Tuner", 22 ) )
                                        j = numDev;
                        }

Although I will admit to seeing some code in there which may suggest it is only looking for 2 tuners of any given type. But I'm not going to try to suss out the difference and purposes between pDevName and pDevName1 over my Kindle's web browser while killing some spare time, especially when I see pDevName getting used as part of an array. I'm still more inclined to think the HCWEncoder.cpp is the "better" starting point. But I haven't looked at DeviceVerify just yet, but it will likely be more on the order of what happened above for the 1250.

Edit: Not seeing anything I'd call an explicit show stopper in DeviceVerify.cpp although the hybrid and not hybrid nature of its 4 Tuners would probably warrant its own unique entry in both files(as 2 are, and 2 are not). I don't think that necessarily needs to be done to use all 4 Tuners, as it could already see two of them and the Hauppauge specific code seems to be the limiting factor here.

What's going on with the USB tuner is another matter.

Edit 4: the HCWEncoder.cpp should be handling most, if not all of the Hauppauge devices, and their interface with Hauppauge drivers. You just may need to climb around in the process/linkage tree to get there(and find everything that references there). Considering its an include for Encoder.cpp is a good sign in my book. I suspect the USB issue is in that file somewhere, I'll poke around a bit more and see what comes up. Edit, can't pursue the USB tuner further, as I don't have enough info to chase.

Monedeath 02-17-2016 10:55 AM

Probably due for a refresh of the contents of

https://github.com/google/sagetv/tre...arty/Hauppauge

Given the main part regarding the video capture cards themselves evidently dates to 2004.

Particularly given:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHS (Post 584755)
The problem has to with that way SageTV see the WinTV-DualHD which only look at BDA Receiver Component Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture when SageTV should be look at BDA Source Filters then it would see both Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner and Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner 2.

Of course, someone would need to determine if a refresh of the third party source is likely to be helpful in that regard, or any other respect, before creating a potential cascade of following changes.

SHS 02-17-2016 12:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monedeath (Post 584964)
Probably due for a refresh of the contents of

https://github.com/google/sagetv/tre...arty/Hauppauge

Given the main part regarding the video capture cards themselves evidently dates to 2004.

Particularly given:

Of course, someone would need to determine if a refresh of the third party source is likely to be helpful in that regard, or any other respect, before creating a potential cascade of following changes.

Just you know the quadHD it not USB device it is PCIe but I do have the dualHD which is a USB
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/atta...1&d=1455733969

Just you know that hcwECP.h for PVR 250/350 is just a small of part of hcwECP.ax which change over years over to hcwECPPP.ax on new Hardware MPEG1/2 and H264/MP4 is just for Graphedit Filter Encode Config Properties Sheet Setup see screenshot
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/atta...1&d=1455733448

I may not be code write hcwECP.h is in all HCWEncoder.cpp
Quote:

Edit 4: the HCWEncoder.cpp should be handling most, if not all of the Hauppauge devices, and their interface with Hauppauge drivers. You just may need to climb around in the process/linkage tree to get there(and find everything that references there). Considering its an include for Encoder.cpp is a good sign in my book. I suspect the USB issue is in that file somewhere, I'll poke around a bit more and see what comes up. Edit, can't pursue the USB tuner further, as I don't have enough info to chase.
It possable

Monedeath 02-17-2016 04:45 PM

I knew the quad was PCIExpress. I was mentioning the USB when talking about the new USB tuner Hauppauge released. Didn't see the point in splitting across two topics for the same general issue regarding STV support for new Hauppauge tuners.

SHS 02-17-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monedeath (Post 584985)
I knew the quad was PCIExpress. I was mentioning the USB when talking about the new USB tuner Hauppauge released. Didn't see the point in splitting across two topics for the same general issue regarding STV support for new Hauppauge tuners.

Ok but it would need to be done diff with dualHD as need look at
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner 2
As there only one Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture unlike with quadHD which has 4 TS Capture filters

SHS 03-04-2016 10:38 AM

It available now on hauppauge web store for $99
Just keep in mind that it only works with WinTV 8, NextPVR and Capture4ME, SageTV works but only see two of the tuner and I'm sure it will be the same isses with most other 3rdparty apps out there.

Monedeath 03-04-2016 09:35 PM

I'm going to snag one as an experimental project. Bearing in mind it may bear fruit anytime between weeks from now, to several years later. So nobody should be holding their breath on my account.

bclenney 06-01-2017 12:56 PM

Any chance any of you wonderful programming types ever looked into this again? I'd love to get a new 4 tuner card and drop my old 2250s.:jump:

Fuzzy 06-02-2017 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bclenney (Post 605438)
Any chance any of you wonderful programming types ever looked into this again? I'd love to get a new 4 tuner card and drop my old 2250s.:jump:

If you're going to be buying new anyways, just go the HDHR route, and avoid the driver issues entirely.

SHS 06-02-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy (Post 605480)
If you're going to be buying new anyways, just go the HDHR route, and avoid the driver issues entirely.

It not a driver issues entirely when SageTV is at fault here with new dualHD and quadHD.
Well that true in long run HDHR route maybe better option but he could always switch to Linux as the quadHD should work that way out box with latest Ubuntu 17.04 or newer

EnterNoEscape 06-02-2017 12:12 PM

The way SageTV interfaces with BDA devices would benefit from a re-write to bring it up to current standards and we don't appear to have anyone able/willing to take on the task at this time. If anyone were to take on this task though, they would want to work with me along with my Scheduler2, Library and Seeker2 changes so that can take advantage of the new possibilities I will be exposing.

bclenney 06-02-2017 09:03 PM

I'll check out the other options and be watching here. Thanks. :)

Galaxysurfer 06-06-2017 08:31 AM

is the Quad card working properly with linux version of sagetv now that the tuner drivers are incorporated into 4.9 + linux kernels? I prefer internal cards to the other tuner options.

SHS 06-07-2017 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer (Post 605766)
is the Quad card working properly with linux version of sagetv now that the tuner drivers are incorporated into 4.9 + linux kernels? I prefer internal cards to the other tuner options.

I posted it before so as you can see SageTV see them but being I have no Antenna here so I can't say for sure.
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/att...5&d=1496847862