SageTV Community

SageTV Community (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardware Support (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ematic AGT419 Quad Core 4K (UltraHD) Android TV Box (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66591)

EnterNoEscape 11-18-2020 07:17 PM

Ematic AGT419 Quad Core 4K (UltraHD) Android TV Box
 
They really need a much shorter name for this thing. It really makes it look like all the other far less useful boxes out there. I'll be calling it the AGT419 from here on out (really rolls off the tongue :D).

First impressions (after a forced upgrade to Android TV 9.0) is that the box comes with almost nothing you didn't ask for pre-installed. This is definitely a first; especially in the sub $70 price range. The only apps you see are Netflix, YouTube and Google Play (Movies & TV). It did try to migrate apps from other devices, but I put an end to that since this box was purchased for probably one purpose: HDHomeRun DRM.

As long as the box is connected to an HDCP compliant display or splitter, there are no issues playing back DRM'd MPEG-2 content using the HDHomeRun app. Unlike the Mi Box S, this box actually reports the real HDCP status back to the HDHomeRun app. I don't have any H.264 channels with DRM to test.

HDHomeRun app video playback performance is fantastic and very stable. The video quality is noticeable better than the Mi Box S (not a high bar, but still worth noting). Channel changes are average, but still could be a little smoother. They get less smooth when the display is 4k. This may just be a factor of how this component loads/works.

I had to reboot it after enabling USB debugging for it to be completely enabled. USB port 1 is the debug port. The box was so much more responsive with the shell input command over the Mi Box S, that I had to retime everything.

I ran the SageTV miniclient on it too just to see how that would perform and it's very good. I would say it's about the same performance you can expect from the shield. Navigation is smooth in the default UI and Gemstone. ExoPlayer shows the AGT419 has hardware MPEG2, H.264 and H.265 decoding. 720p and 1080i MPEG2 decoding looks great. 5.1 surround is being passed to my stereo like the other Android TV boxes.

For anyone planning to use this box as a general media streamer, I would only caution you that the Amazon Prime Video app does not come installed. Not a problem for me and you might be able to sideload it, but I did not try. Edit: It turns out I was wrong; you can install this app from Google Play now.

Overall I would give this box a 9 out of 10. The box has a very good feel and would likely meet the needs of most SageTV users. I will be purchasing maybe 1-3 more to replace other older boxes in my house because it's so well priced and in my opinion that much better than the Mi Box S, Nexus Player (old I know) or FireTV (not the stick; that's not a fair comparison).

wayner 11-19-2020 07:33 AM

Here's another review of this box. It isn't a very thorough review, but apparently this is called the Jetstream 4K as well.

https://hometechhacker.com/ematic-je...tv-box-review/

And here is another review. It appears that this box is supplied by Safaricom in Kenya to their customers:
https://techweez.com/2020/07/30/safa...tv-box-review/

trk2 11-19-2020 09:04 AM

Looks interesting. Are there any additional details on what audio codec's this can bitstream (DTS-HD, Atmos)?

EnterNoEscape 11-19-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trk2 (Post 628120)
Looks interesting. Are there any additional details on what audio codec's this can bitstream (DTS-HD, Atmos)?

It shows in the sound settings that it supports the following for bitstreaming:
Dolby Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS
DTS-HD
AAC
Dolby TrueHD

NetworkGuy 11-19-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 628112)
For anyone planning to use this box as a general media streamer, I would only caution you that the Amazon Prime Video app does not come installed. Not a problem for me and you might be able to sideload it, but I did not try.

An answer on Amazon says "Amazon Prime Video can be downloaded from the Android TV app store. Side loading is not necessary."

jvl711 11-19-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 628122)
It shows in the sound settings that it supports the following for bitstreaming:
Dolby Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS
DTS-HD
AAC
Dolby TrueHD

Interesting. The "internet says" that the Shield TV is the only streaming box that can pass TrueHD with Atmos. I wonder if that is not a true statement, or if this box happens to be one of the few that can do it.

From my perspective that would be pretty awesome to have another device that can do it way less than $200.

Josh

nyplayer 11-19-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvl711 (Post 628126)
Interesting. The "internet says" that the Shield TV is the only streaming box that can pass TrueHD with Atmos. I wonder if that is not a true statement, or if this box happens to be one of the few that can do it.

From my perspective that would be pretty awesome to have another device that can do it way less than $200.

Josh

The FireTV 4K
Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+ surround sound and HDMI Audio passthrough for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, Dolby Atmos.

The FireTV Cube
Dolby Atmos, 7.1 surround sound, 2ch stereo, and HDMI audio pass through up to 5.1.
Video: Dolby Vision, HDR 10, HDR10+, HLG, H.265, H.264, VP9 Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC), Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP

EnterNoEscape 11-19-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetworkGuy (Post 628123)
An answer on Amazon says "Amazon Prime Video can be downloaded from the Android TV app store. Side loading is not necessary."

Thanks for the correction. I see that I was in error now. Most of these devices if they don't come with it pre-installed, you can't install it from Google Play. Maybe they have changed their policy?

nyplayer 11-19-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 628129)
Thanks for the correction. I see that I was in error now. Most of these devices if they don't come with it pre-installed, you can't install it from Google Play. Maybe they have changed their policy?

I have an old Jetstream box that I bought from walmart a while back but never even opened it.... maybe it is time to.

https://i.postimg.cc/v86FMyn2/20201119-171547.jpg

wayner 11-19-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyplayer (Post 628130)
I have an old Jetstream box that I bought from walmart a while back but never even opened it.... maybe it is time to.[/IMG]

Your box looks like the 418 vs the 419 that ENE has, but there may not be much difference.

EnterNoEscape 11-19-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner (Post 628131)
Your box looks like the 418 vs the 419 that ENE has, but there may not be much difference.

This says the AGT419 is a rebranded AGT418, so they are likely exactly the same device. They appear to call it different things based on the country it is being sold in.

wayner 11-19-2020 09:58 PM

For some reason this box seems very popular in Africa.

trk2 11-20-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 628129)
Thanks for the correction. I see that I was in error now. Most of these devices if they don't come with it pre-installed, you can't install it from Google Play. Maybe they have changed their policy?

I believe it's whether the device meets Google Play Protect (Widevine DRM) that determines whether those apps are available for download. On regular Android you can check under settings->Play Protect Certification, not sure about Android TV.

I have an old HP Touchpad (WebOS) that now runs Android which is not Play Protect certified. I have to run pre-Play Protect app versions of Netflix and Prime to use those services.

nyplayer 11-20-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 628129)
Thanks for the correction. I see that I was in error now. Most of these devices if they don't come with it pre-installed, you can't install it from Google Play. Maybe they have changed their policy?

I just said Prime Video and it took me to the play store then I installed.


BTW The Picture is so much better on the Google Chromecast TV. Recommend the Google Chromecast TV over this... I do not think it does Prime in 4K.

EnterNoEscape 11-21-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyplayer (Post 628139)
I just said Prime Video and it took me to the play store then I installed.


BTW The Picture is so much better on the Google Chromecast TV. Recommend the Google Chromecast TV over this... I do not think it does Prime in 4K.

I recently bought a 70" 4k TV and thought the 419 looked very good. Maybe I'm just not used to how things look on 4k screens since this in my first one. I haven't tried the Shield on it yet, so maybe my opinion will change. The Google Chromecast TV doesn't meet most of my requirements for why I bought this, but I'll take a look at it when I'm looking to replace another streamer.

nyplayer 11-21-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 628141)
I recently bought a 70" 4k TV and thought the 419 looked very good. Maybe I'm just not used to how things look on 4k screens since this in my first one. I haven't tried the Shield on it yet, so maybe my opinion will change. The Google Chromecast TV doesn't meet most of my requirements for why I bought this, but I'll take a look at it when I'm looking to replace another streamer.

I fully understand you mentioned you need something that can do DRM and have a nic card.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.