SageTV Community

SageTV Community (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/index.php)
-   SageTV HD Theater - Media Player (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   HD300 & Server: Communicate across different subnets (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63129)

skyeclad 04-11-2016 10:44 AM

HD300 & Server: Communicate across different subnets

Hey gang, I need some advice.

I'm in a FIOS home and use the FIOS modem/router as well as a second router. I used to have the second router in Access point mode and connected to the first router via MOCA on the same subnet. All devices were happy to be able to see each other BUT all of the fancy features(QOS, Parental controls, etc.) of the new ASUS RT-AC5300 were turned off and I need some of those features.

So I switched the ASUS router back to router mode and plugged the FIOS router into the WAN port. The ASUS router decided to create a second subnet and all seemed to be fine except for one thing. My SageTV Server and Extenders are on 2 different subnets.

The question that I have is, should I try to get the devices talking across subnets(if that's even possible) as communication at this point seems like it's only working in one direction.

OR

Should I just buy wireless bridges for the HD300's and have them connect to the server's network?

KeithAbbott 04-11-2016 01:39 PM

I'll ask the obvious question: why not plug all of your devices (SageTV server, HD300s, etc.) into the lan port of your ASUS router?

skyeclad 04-11-2016 01:51 PM

Unfortunately, there is no Ethernet wire between the router and the other side of the house where the extender is and I'd like to avoid running a new line just for this.

I think the alternatives could be a wireless bridge or powerline.

stuckless 04-12-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyeclad (Post 587382)
Unfortunately, there is no Ethernet wire between the router and the other side of the house where the extender is and I'd like to avoid running a new line just for this.

I think the alternatives could be a wireless bridge or powerline.

Personally, I'd run the wire. I actually have all of my media streaming devices hardwired.

But, if you don't want to do that... then I'd suggest getting a second ASUS router. Probably would be a good idea, anyways, since routers that are bundled with your ISP tend be the cheapest of the cheap and will tend to bog down on heavy loads. That was the case for me since we have so many wireless devices. My ISP router would have severe "pauses". After moving to the ASUS router, and just have have the ISP router plugged into to it (so thet ASUS router manages DNS, QOS, etc), things are running fine. I then added a second ASUS router as an access point (hard wired to the other ASUS router), to give better wifi strength around the house.

SageWizdom 04-20-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuckless (Post 587412)
Personally, I'd run the wire. I actually have all of my media streaming devices hardwired.

But, if you don't want to do that... then I'd suggest getting a second ASUS router. Probably would be a good idea, anyways, since routers that are bundled with your ISP tend be the cheapest of the cheap and will tend to bog down on heavy loads. That was the case for me since we have so many wireless devices. My ISP router would have severe "pauses". After moving to the ASUS router, and just have have the ISP router plugged into to it (so thet ASUS router manages DNS, QOS, etc), things are running fine. I then added a second ASUS router as an access point (hard wired to the other ASUS router), to give better wifi strength around the house.

Don't forget that you do not have to scan for the server, you can set the ip-address if your server has a static ip. While this may not be the most convenient, once it works, you can connect across all sorts of tunnels, subnets, etc.

rerooks 08-11-2016 09:23 AM

I would also put the fios router into bridge mode, and completely bypass its routing capabilities.