SageTV Community

SageTV Community (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/index.php)
-   SageTV Software (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Want to rebuild my wiz.bin - the easy way (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58858)

heffneil 08-07-2012 05:02 AM

Want to rebuild my wiz.bin - the easy way

Hey guys my SageTV installation is running poorly. Real poorly. I want to reinstall and recreate my wiz.bin but I want to export and import my favorites if possible. I think everything else I Can re-import in such a way by finding movies and recordings, and reinstall / setup my tuners. Anyone used anything to do this?

Also anyone do any type of custom EPG export and import so my selected channels won't be forgotten? I have directv and it seems like every other channel is an advertising crap channel that I have to unselect...

Thanks!

Neil

KeithAbbott 08-07-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffneil (Post 535759)
Also anyone do any type of custom EPG export and import so my selected channels won't be forgotten? I have directv and it seems like every other channel is an advertising crap channel that I have to unselect...

Maybe this: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50378

heffneil 08-07-2012 07:19 AM

That is very interesting! I will test it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone know about a favorites importer exporter?

nyplayer 08-07-2012 07:47 AM

You might want to also take a look at this thread.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58510

stanger89 08-07-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffneil (Post 535759)
Hey guys my SageTV installation is running poorly. Real poorly. I want to reinstall and recreate my wiz.bin but I want to export and import my favorites if possible. I think everything else I Can re-import in such a way by finding movies and recordings, and reinstall / setup my tuners. Anyone used anything to do this?

Thanks!

Neil

Before you do that, make sure that you don't have Sage looking for "rogue" files that no longer exist. When I was having performance issues it ended up being because I had Sage looking for a lot of stuff that didn't exist (was looking at an old network path that no longer existed).

Jeff suggested using the (probably won't spell it right) "disable_root_path_check" set to true to have sage clean out all the stuff that doesn't exist, just make sure everything that should exist does appear to sage.

heffneil 08-07-2012 12:26 PM

When I tune a channel I will hear the audio for at least 30 seconds before the video will begin to show. The screen shows the tuning prompt for the channel. When I stop watching a show or a recording I get the spinning wheel of death for at least 30 seconds until I get back to the videos list or the guide. I think I am pushing sage passed its capabilities with the number of videos and tuners I have but I want to test on a second installation to confirm that it isn't a corrupt / screwed up wiz.bin.

In the meantime I changed that setting to true. Not sure exactly what it does or if it will take time to clean up the crap. any ideas there?

Thanks,

Neil

razrsharpe 08-07-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger89 (Post 535788)
Before you do that, make sure that you don't have Sage looking for "rogue" files that no longer exist. When I was having performance issues it ended up being because I had Sage looking for a lot of stuff that didn't exist (was looking at an old network path that no longer existed).

Jeff suggested using the (probably won't spell it right) "disable_root_path_check" set to true to have sage clean out all the stuff that doesn't exist, just make sure everything that should exist does appear to sage.

Is there a way to tell if sage is failing at finding files? I moved my pictures and music to a nas device and am wondering if that could be causing recent slowness in my system...

stanger89 08-07-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffneil (Post 535805)
When I tune a channel I will hear the audio for at least 30 seconds before the video will begin to show. The screen shows the tuning prompt for the channel. When I stop watching a show or a recording I get the spinning wheel of death for at least 30 seconds until I get back to the videos list or the guide. I think I am pushing sage passed its capabilities with the number of videos and tuners I have but I want to test on a second installation to confirm that it isn't a corrupt / screwed up wiz.bin.

Well the simple test is to just delete the wiz.bin (back it up first ;)) and see if it's better. If it is, you know it's something with the wiz.bin.

Quote:

In the meantime I changed that setting to true. Not sure exactly what it does or if it will take time to clean up the crap. any ideas there?
I believe it should be done by the time Sage is running, or at least by the time the first import scan completes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by razrsharpe (Post 535813)
Is there a way to tell if sage is failing at finding files? I moved my pictures and music to a nas device and am wondering if that could be causing recent slowness in my system...

Seems to me when I saw it I was seeing a lot of hangs, in the log, but I think Jeff had to send me a special jar with some debug stuff to actually see for sure that it was hanging while looking for "bad" files. For me it was the comskip plugin looking for files on nonexistant paths.

heffneil 08-07-2012 04:51 PM

I changed it to true but then it looks like sage made it back to false is that typical?

nyplayer 08-07-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffneil (Post 535825)
I changed it to true but then it looks like sage made it back to false is that typical?

Yes when it is done it goes back to false.

heffneil 08-07-2012 04:58 PM

I ran it - I don't think it helped despite I wanted it to. In the archive it referenced another flag to set to true as well - I didn't try it.

I did notice that some of my recordings seem to now be in my videos <shrug? how do I fix that?

egeller 08-09-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffneil (Post 535827)
I did notice that some of my recordings seem to now be in my videos <shrug? how do I fix that?

The short answer is through the web interface.

panteragstk 08-09-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffneil (Post 535805)

Thanks,

Neil

Do you use extenders or clients? I have that issue on my main client, but I have a crapload of plugins running (diamond seems to be a big part of the problem). On a bare client with a base sage v7 install that doesn't happen. I don't watch live tv often enough for it to bother me. I'm planning a complete reinstall just to refresh everything.

heffneil 08-22-2012 08:28 PM

I just setup my first client and I am stilling having the slowness. I think a big part of my problem is that my recordings and movies all sit on unraid which has its disks spun down. I don't know why stopping a recording (which is to a local disk) would cause the guide to render so poorly.

I do have a TON of sources as well all within my guide. I have 3 HD-PVR's tuning directv and a Avermedia tuning comcast and an HDHomeRun tuning comcast as well...

Neil