SageTV Community

SageTV Community (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   It's finally goodbye to BeyondTV (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61616)

cncb 08-11-2014 08:18 PM

It's finally goodbye to BeyondTV

http://www.snapstream.com/goodbye_beyondtv/

This was my first DVR software and it's too bad it was abandoned like SageTV :(.

stanger89 08-12-2014 05:45 AM

Didn't they abandon it like two years before SageTV was purchased? But then continue to sell it?

w4rh4wk 08-12-2014 06:39 AM

oh man WOW! I too had beyondTV and bought sagetv 2 months before they sold to google. i think i had BTV for ~4 years. yeah they've dropped off a LONG time ago. I guess now its official.

cncb 08-12-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger89 (Post 565904)
Didn't they abandon it like two years before SageTV was purchased? But then continue to sell it?

Yes, pretty much but they put their focus on their "enterprise product" and were not swallowed up by a huge company. So, there was still (slim) hope that work/enhancements would eventually trickle down to the consumer product. That hope is now officially gone.

Brent 08-12-2014 02:32 PM

Wow! I didn't even realize they still supported BeyondTV. It was my second HTPC software (after MediaPortal) and my wife & daughter called commercial skipping "smart-skip" for years after my switch to SageTV.

I never had much (hardly any) hope that Snapstream would ever go back to HTPC. They saw the money in the enterprise product and saw lots of expenses in the HTPC side to catch up with SageTV and MediaCenter so they went with the easier, more profitable choice.

nyplayer 08-12-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 565920)
Wow! I didn't even realize they still supported BeyondTV. It was my second HTPC software (after MediaPortal) and my wife & daughter called commercial skipping "smart-skip" for years after my switch to SageTV.

I never had much (hardly any) hope that Snapstream would ever go back to HTPC. They saw the money in the enterprise product and saw lots of expenses in the HTPC side to catch up with SageTV and MediaCenter so they went with the easier, more profitable choice.

This was my second DVR I started with Showshifter.

that_kid 08-13-2014 09:06 AM

BeyondTV was my first as well then 5 months later I switched to SageTV and didn't look back.

andre5006 08-13-2014 11:22 AM

My second - first was the a package that came with the ATI All-in-Wonder cards (gave up waiting for a stable product) - went to BeyondTV (happy for long time - liked scheduling recordings from the web) - left it when Colossus came out & thank goodness that I found Sage before the Google purchase.

tmiranda 08-13-2014 12:34 PM

My first as well.

eric3a 08-13-2014 01:48 PM

My first real HTPC software too. Also started with the ATI bundled software for a couple days before moving on to BTV. Was MVP in their forums and helped on the Firefly beta testing.

Scary that there are no real good solid and live solutions now. Still very happy with SageTV as is, but it'd be nice to have a replacement.
Eric

jorton 08-13-2014 05:59 PM

My first HTPC software and also my first skin/theme...

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24113

PS- Still using Sagetv every day :thumb:

mistergq 08-13-2014 08:28 PM

I may have tested out ATI All in Wonder software, but quickly started with BTV. I almost switched to STV in the beginning, but didn't switch for about 3 or 4 years after I started DVR. And ever since I switched to STV, I have been much happier.

This announcement was a formality to make it official IMHO. I would stop by their forums every 6 months or so to see if there were any updates. I remember one time I stopped by and there was a comment by one of the Snapstream Owners of, I didn't know anyone was still posting in this forum.

God I hope STV does not go the same way.

SWKerr 08-15-2014 10:11 AM

I liked BeyondTV. It worked really well for TV. Only went to SageTV because I wanted Music and Movies and TV in the same interface. Joined here in June 2008 so I guess that is when I switched. Seems like BeyondTV announced the end of continued development not long after. Seems like they should have stopped selling it then but I guess it is like here where people with existing setups might have wanted\needed additional licenses.

Still would be great if Google would allow server\client sales or to open up the whole thing to open source. Seems like they justify it by collecting anonymiss watching data. If it was free and connected to Google I bet that it would have 5x the users SageTV ever did.

rnadeau 08-15-2014 01:58 PM

I started with beyondtv as well. I also got beyond media but last I checked their server won't validate the beyond media install. I went a whole year with beyondtv on a win xp machine and had it plugged it into a ups. I didn't have to restart it for a year!. it was very stable but as someone else mentioned I needed more for movies and customizing. I tried sagetv 2 at one point but it was unreliable so I went back to beyond tv. Then beyond tv stopped updating it for a while and I have been with sagetv since 2008 and haven't looked back. I just hope that if the sage server goes down, we have a way to install plugins if we have to reinstall. Slugger has made the program guide plugin which works great so the loss of plugins when /if needing to reinstall is my only worry. I too have occasionally looked for something that is at least as good as sagetv and haven't found one yet and don't believe I will because with the new dvrs taht are available I don't think programmers feel it is worth their while to create something like sage or better.

nyplayer 08-15-2014 04:54 PM

That is the problem I see some of the Plugin Developers have left SageTV ...if where their code is stored is moved or changed the plugin Install will not work. What I did was Start from Scratch and Just Installed the plugins that are absolutely necessary for my setup.

I then backed up the full sagetv folder. I did the same thing with my clients I have tested my restore method even to other computers and am quite satisfied.

These are the plugins I use.

Comskip.
Webserver

CMT must have in order to create properties files for all recordings in the event the wiz.bin cannot be recovered.

BMT

tmiranda 08-17-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyplayer (Post 565955)
That is the problem I see some of the Plugin Developers have left SageTV ...

Many of us are still here, lurking. If I saw a future for the product I would gladly do more work.

nyplayer 08-17-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmiranda (Post 565983)
Many of us are still here, lurking. If I saw a future for the product I would gladly do more work.

Your work and others is much appreciated. The problem is I really do not see a future in SAGETV as a mediaplayer and organizer ... I still see it as just a great PVR. Sage refushes to play using EVR and H264 on two of my clients crashes the pc. If there was a way to not use the old builtin sagetv mpegdemux that would help. Also sagetvtranscoder is outdated and so is the sagetvplayer.

PS every other product that I have tested that is currently supported has no problem playing files that Sage cannot.

mikejaner 08-19-2014 08:11 AM

Snapstream had a good product until they decided to make the extremely stupid decision to dedicate their entire focus to chasing down the commercial market for subtitle searching. You could see the lack of interest in features and bug fixes about a year before they announced the shift, and it was all over for them. Not sad about this.

Brent 08-19-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejaner (Post 566010)
Snapstream had a good product until they decided to make the extremely stupid decision to dedicate their entire focus to chasing down the commercial market for subtitle searching. You could see the lack of interest in features and bug fixes about a year before they announced the shift, and it was all over for them. Not sad about this.

Um, I'm pretty sure that today Snapstream (Rakesh at least) is very happy with their decision to focus on the commercial market. The year they did that was the year they became profitable for the first time and their business has done very, very well since. I completely understand why they did what they did. I didn't like it as a BeyondTV user, but I do understand it. http://www.snapstream.com/

tmiranda 08-19-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 566028)
Um, I'm pretty sure that today Snapstream (Rakesh at least) is very happy with their decision to focus on the commercial market. The year they did that was the year they became profitable for the first time and their business has done very, very well since. I completely understand why they did what they did. I didn't like it as a BeyondTV user, but I do understand it. http://www.snapstream.com/

+1