SageTV Community

SageTV Community (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/index.php)
-   SageTV Downloads & Instructions (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Linux - Script to automatically install SageTV and Network Tuners (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63026)

SageWizdom 03-05-2016 06:08 PM

Linux - Script to automatically install SageTV and Network Tuners
 
1 Attachment(s)
(This is a repost of a different post, to give it its own thread. Original post here [http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...5&postcount=5])

Note: I will continue to update the first post with the newest script as I update it. At some point in time, I will get this into a repository and you will be able to download it with a single command line.

Automated SageTV & OpenDCT Installer for Ubuntu Linux

-- Only tested with Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - 64bit Server Edition
-- May not work with 15.10 (testing needed)
-- Attempts to do some validation / testing, but no promises (aka don't use this on a production machine yet)

This will attempt to probe for, then download and install the latest SageTV .deb file.

This will attempt to prove for, then download and install the latest opendct .deb file.

(planned, allow you to chose between opendct and primenetencoder and install your selection)

This will attempt to set up your firewall (but will not turn it on).

In theory, at the conclusion of this run you should be able to open a Sage client, connect and view video remotely

*NOTE: This does not install the local sage client, this assumes a headless server.

How to use this
1) Install Ubuntu Linux - the 64 bit SERVER version of 14.04.3 LTS as per http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=580992&postcount=2

2) Copy this file to your ubuntu box. The easiest way is probably to use SFTP. Ubuntu as installed above should already have SFTP installed on it. If you are a windows user, you can use PSFTP as an application on windows to send the file. The SFTP exchange will likely look like:

Quote:

sftp <new sage user>@<new sage ip>
put installsage.txt
quit
You may be able to skip this step and run the below command directly on your computer after you have connected with SSH. (still testing this, but this is the desired end goal.)

Quote:

wget -O installsage.sh http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15577&d=1468205307

3) Log into your remote Linux box. The easiest way should be SSH. If you are using windows, PuTTY is a good SSH tool.
Quote:

ssh <new sage user>@<new sage ip>
4) At the command prompt, rename the script to installsage.sh
Quote:

mv installsage.txt installsage.sh
5) Make the file executable
Quote:

chmod a+x installsage.sh
6) Run the script with admin privalidges
Quote:

sudo ./installsage.sh
It should now run, attempting to install everything and telling you as it goes. You will be prompted several times relating to Java and the install of SageTV (to enter your license key).




Known Issues:
#1 When installing, for some reason, after sage installs, it does not return, even though it should. To handle this:
- Type Ctrl-Z to have the current application Sleep
- Type the command "sudo service sagetv stop"
- When this is done type the command "fg" to return the sleeping processes to the foreground.

#2 the running of console only does not work for some reason right now in the script. you have to stop the opendct service, run this once and then start the service... I'll have to look tomorrow again at it.

I've attempted to have it auto install as much as is reasonable. Please holler with errors, additional software requests, etc.


How To Cleanup / Remove This
If you decide you want to remove this install..
A) backup up anything you care about (key file, Sage.properties, Wiz.bin)
B) sudo apt-get remove opendct sagetv

This will properly remove all the files / etc (thanks EnterNoEscape)

SageWizdom 03-05-2016 06:16 PM

placeholder

SageWizdom 03-07-2016 09:21 PM

Updated script to incorporate command to ensure auto run at boot

dgeezer 03-24-2016 05:03 AM

Success!
 
I am no linux master by any means but I have a running sage server thanks to this script. I installed Ubuntu server 14.04.03 64bit on my modded Asus chromebox. I happened to have this as an extra device right now and thought that it would make a good test machine. It does have a 128gb ssd instead of the stock 16gb. I set the name of the server as sageserver.
I installed the latest version of putty on my windows pc. It found the server on my network by name, no ip address required

I was able to use the wget command by changing to the current download link to "http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15319&d=1457407246" in step 2.

I jumped to step 5 and did the chmod.
I ran step 6.
I had the script hang part way through, I think that it was between installing the sageserver and sagedct but the ctrl-z etc steps got it going again. Once the script completely finished I did a sudo reboot and the syatem came back up. I was able to find the server and connect from my HD300 and ran a channel scan for my HDhomerun ota stations. So far everything seems to work. Great work on the script!

I didn't notice but does the script install a GUI?

Greg2dot0 03-24-2016 11:44 AM

A clarification for install
 
So, I've been trying to troubleshoot some very weird OpenDCT issues and that inspired me to take a machine that I had laying around and to build it out on Unbuntu 14.04 and run this script (after various mixed attempts to do it manually) and for the most part it worked great.

One thing that tripped me up is that I thought I had everything installed correctly but OpenDCT still wasn't working. What I realized is that I needed the SiliconDust driver package. I found this in another thread and once I installed them, everything started to work.

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config hdhomerun-config-gui

Thanks for your work on this, it made getting everything built and installed very easy!

EnterNoEscape 03-24-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg2dot0 (Post 586681)
So, I've been trying to troubleshoot some very weird OpenDCT issues and that inspired me to take a machine that I had laying around and to build it out on Unbuntu 14.04 and run this script (after various mixed attempts to do it manually) and for the most part it worked great.

One thing that tripped me up is that I thought I had everything installed correctly but OpenDCT still wasn't working. What I realized is that I needed the SiliconDust driver package. I found this in another thread and once I installed them, everything started to work.

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config hdhomerun-config-gui

Thanks for your work on this, it made getting everything built and installed very easy!

OpenDCT does not require that package. I suspect that if that's working for you that the package made some changes to your Linux installation such as firewall rules.

SageWizdom 03-24-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgeezer (Post 586664)
I had the script hang part way through, I think that it was between installing the sageserver and sagedct but the ctrl-z etc steps got it going again.

Yes, unfortunately known bug, but I've been chatting with one of the real magicians and I'm hopeful we're getting closer to a fix for that.


Quote:

Originally Posted by dgeezer (Post 586664)
I didn't notice but does the script install a GUI?

It does not, but if there is interest, I can throw one together. When you say gui are you taking about a general os GUI (desktop, browser etc) or are you talking about everything up through a working Sage Client?

Part of the reason I had not is that I had not gotten the client to run consistently, and stopped trying once I moved to only external clients. I could certainly point you at the/a walk through which could help get you close.

dgeezer 03-25-2016 07:57 PM

I was just sort of curious if there was a gui. I don't really think that it's needed. I was able to do all the channels scans etc from the HD300.

I think that anyone who has enough interest to build a dedicated linux sagetv server would be able to look up whatever commands they need to interact with the server. The hard stuff like adding hdd's etc pretty much has to be done from the command line anyway.

stuckless 03-26-2016 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgeezer (Post 586756)
I was just sort of curious if there was a gui. I don't really think that it's needed. I was able to do all the channels scans etc from the HD300.

I think that anyone who has enough interest to build a dedicated linux sagetv server would be able to look up whatever commands they need to interact with the server. The hard stuff like adding hdd's etc pretty much has to be done from the command line anyway.

There really isn't a gui for the sagetv server on linux. Not sure what windows has, but on linux, it's headless. The gui is either connecting an HD300 or desktop placeshifter. You could run the desktop placeshifter on linux and configure from the same machine provided that you were runnnig the linux server as a desktop (ie full UI)

dgeezer 03-26-2016 05:31 AM

Probably shouldn't have brought up the gui. The only reason I could see for wanting a GUI would be for remote access. I use a chromebook when I'm on the road during the day. I can access my home pc's using chrome remote desktop. This works for my desktop running windows 8.1 as well as my current home server which has Lubuntu installed. This is just the simplest setup that I have found for remote access.

I'm trying to imagine how a new user (since hopefully this project will start bringing new folks to SageTV) would set this up. It looks like running the script to install the linux server on their pc hardware and doing the configuration from the android miniclient would be ideal for most relatively savvy computer people.

SageWizdom 03-26-2016 06:46 AM

Your concern is very reasonable, how to make the system easy for folks who are not linux savvy. I would like to think of this as a step on he way to a appliance build. Something that goes from zero to working with no interaction. Even better would be this merged with the OS install (as someone previously noted).

I think the only way to really get there involves a couple of specific expectations. Some basic hardware expectations (available ram, available processor threads, available storage) with some combination of a network encoder (ex. HD HomeRun). In this way, a non linux user wouldn't have to deal with Kernal or other issues, it would just work.

Before this could really work, the issue needs to be resolved as to how to handle OS upgrades and application upgrades. When you couple this with the work stuckless is doing for an available client device most of the pieces are there and ready. I think the last big major piece might be, helping a new user get all the guide data they need, as easily as possible.

DigiDAD 05-26-2016 10:31 PM

Will this work with Hauppauge USB and PCI tuners as well, or just network tuners like HDHomerun?
I plan to use Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS - Are these drivers (HDHomerun, Hauppauge) included?
I know this is meant to run headless, but if someone wanted to setup a dedicated HTPC on Ubuntu Desktop, could they install the client locally as well?
After completing the script and rebooting, if I run 'sudo service sagetv start', and it says it is Already Running. If I launch a client and enter the name or IP, it can't connect however. Any ideas?

rnadeau 05-27-2016 10:16 AM

64 bit java issues on virtual machine.
 
Firstly virtual machines is new to me and I am trying to setup sagetv on one. I have windows 32 bit home premium installed. I am running Oracle Virtual Box 5.0.20. I can install Ubuntu 14.04.4 fine. Everything installs properly, BUT java 64 bit won't install stating I have a 32 bit processor (WRONG!). It is a Amd dual core 6 ghz 64 bit processor, BUT my motherboard doesn't support virtualization and I'm pretty sure the processor doesn't either. I don't know if lack of virtualization in hardware is stopping java or is it some virtual machine setting I need to find out about? I would appreciate any help on this from this forums pros on this type of setup.

Taddeusz 05-27-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnadeau (Post 588995)
Firstly virtual machines is new to me and I am trying to setup sagetv on one. I have windows 32 bit home premium installed. I am running Oracle Virtual Box 5.0.20. I can install Ubuntu 14.04.4 fine. Everything installs properly, BUT java 64 bit won't install stating I have a 32 bit processor (WRONG!). It is a Amd dual core 6 ghz 64 bit processor, BUT my motherboard doesn't support virtualization and I'm pretty sure the processor doesn't either. I don't know if lack of virtualization in hardware is stopping java or is it some virtual machine setting I need to find out about? I would appreciate any help on this from this forums pros on this type of setup.

Is the Ubuntu you installed in your vm the 32-bit or 64-bit version? I've looked it up and Virtual Box does support your particular configuration with apparently some caveats: http://askubuntu.com/a/180764

Since virtualization has been supported on AMD processors since the single core Athlon 64 I have a hard time believing that your hardware doesn't support it. For your configuration to work it must have hardware virtualization enabled. Your system's BIOS would be the first place to look. What motherboard do you have in this system?

rnadeau 05-27-2016 11:12 AM

My mainboard doesn't support virtualization. I did install ubuntu 64 bit and it worked fine, but I figured my hardware may not be up to it. MB is MSI MS-7250. I checked bios and there is nothing about virtualization.

edit: I just downloaded securable. Software that checks system and my system does support hardware virtualization. Now all I have to do is figure out why ubuntu install and runs fine in 64 bit but java doesn't install.

Taddeusz 05-27-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnadeau (Post 588999)
My mainboard doesn't support virtualization. I did install ubuntu 64 bit and it worked fine, but I figured my hardware may not be up to it. MB is MSI MS-7250. I checked bios and there is nothing about virtualization.

edit: I just downloaded securable. Software that checks system and my system does support hardware virtualization. Now all I have to do is figure out why ubuntu install and runs fine in 64 bit but java doesn't install.

Is your vm's OS specified as 64-bit like in the post I linked?

rnadeau 05-27-2016 12:33 PM

Yes, Its setup as linux 64 bit vm. I checked and it is set to use virtualization in vm settings and pae

nyplayer 06-01-2016 01:56 PM

I am new to Linux ... so please be patient. I have it running on Hyper V using ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64... I can connect to the Sage Server using a windows client no problem. But it cannot write the fie to the VM. How do I get the Sage Linux server to record to my Publc folders in my WDMYCLOUD Nas.


12:49:23.978 [SageTVRequestHandler-157:DCT-HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13147C7B-0] ERROR FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl - Unable to open '/var/media/tv/10334_2_0601_1249-0.ts' for writing => java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: \var\media\tv\10334_2_0601_1249-0.ts
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newFileChannel(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.channels.FileChannel.open(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.channels.FileChannel.open(Unknown Source)
at opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl$FFmpegDirectWriter.<init>(FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl.java:716)
at opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl.consumeToFilename(FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl.java:311)
at opendct.capture.HDHRNativeCaptureDevice.startEncodingSync(HDHRNativeCaptureDevice.java:979)
at opendct.capture.HDHRNativeCaptureDevice.startEncoding(HDHRNativeCaptureDevice.java:489)
at opendct.sagetv.SageTVRequestHandler.run(SageTVRequestHandler.java:223)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

EnterNoEscape 06-01-2016 02:33 PM

Does the path /var/media/tv actually exist. Are you able to navigate to it?

That error message suggests that maybe a part of the path doesn't exist or is inaccessible (permissions).

If it's permissions, the quickest way to fix that is to give everyone rwx permissions:

Code:

sudo chmod 777 /var/media/tv
This can be changed later, but for troubleshooting purposes, I think it's better to open things up.

nyplayer 06-01-2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 589175)
Does the path /var/media/tv actually exist. Are you able to navigate to it?

That error message suggests that maybe a part of the path doesn't exist or is inaccessible (permissions).

If it's permissions, the quickest way to fix that is to give everyone rwx permissions:

Code:

sudo chmod 777 /var/media/tv
This can be changed later, but for troubleshooting purposes, I think it's better to open things up.

Yes it is there will change permissions.

nyplayer 06-01-2016 02:53 PM

It is working now it was a permissions and I had setup Opendct with the VM Host IP. Changed to the VM IP and it is working.... but I really need to record to a network share. So it does work with ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64 :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Fuzzy 06-01-2016 06:06 PM

So, I finally got around to trying out a test linux server. I set up a VirtualBox machine on my Windows desktop, installed ubundu 14.04 LTS server, and ran the script. I've got the sage server running just fine - but I don't know how to add UNC paths as library folders. Does SageTV on Linux support UNC paths for import/recording folders? That's really the only way I can see this being usable for me, as most my storage will remain on my windows server.

EnterNoEscape 06-01-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy (Post 589197)
So, I finally got around to trying out a test linux server. I set up a VirtualBox machine on my Windows desktop, installed ubundu 14.04 LTS server, and ran the script. I've got the sage server running just fine - but I don't know how to add UNC paths as library folders. Does SageTV on Linux support UNC paths for import/recording folders? That's really the only way I can see this being usable for me, as most my storage will remain on my windows server.

I thought it was smb://servername/share, but that doesn't work for me on the latest SageTV Linux build. I am on Fedora, so that might be the problem. I had a hard time following the log since every time I tried to use smb://, I got a flood of data.

nyplayer 06-01-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy (Post 589197)
So, I finally got around to trying out a test linux server. I set up a VirtualBox machine on my Windows desktop, installed ubundu 14.04 LTS server, and ran the script. I've got the sage server running just fine - but I don't know how to add UNC paths as library folders. Does SageTV on Linux support UNC paths for import/recording folders? That's really the only way I can see this being usable for me, as most my storage will remain on my windows server.

That is a showstopper for me too. Also I have a powerful Nas and would rather record to it.

KarylFStein 06-01-2016 06:45 PM

I just mounted my share. See man mount.cifs. You can add the mount to /etc/fstab to have it mount on boot.

nyplayer 06-01-2016 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarylFStein (Post 589201)
I just mounted my share. See man mount.cifs. You can add the mount to /etc/fstab to have it mount on boot.

Can you post the syntax? and can you browse to it in Linux SageTV?

KarylFStein 06-01-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyplayer (Post 589203)
Can you post the syntax? and can you browse to it in Linux SageTV?

Yes, it's just like a local partition.

For a one-time mount try something like this:

Code:

sudo mount -t cifs //MYNAS/MYSHARE /TARGET/DIR -o username=SHARE_USER,password=SHARE_PASS
In your case /TARGET/DIR is probably /media/tv. Make sure the directory exists and is empty, (it doesn't have to be empty, but after the mount any files in there will be "hidden" behind the mount).

My share is \\STEINSERVER\Recorded TV and I have a user "SageTV" with read/write access to the share so my mount looked like this:

Code:

sudo mount -t cifs "//STEINSERVER/Recorded TV" "/media/steinserver/Recorded TV" -o username=Sagetv,password=MY_PASS
Then to mount automatically on boot I edited /etc/fstab and added the following line:

Code:

//STEINSERVER/Recorded\040TV /media/steinserver/Recorded\040TV  cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials_sagetv,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm      0      0
(Note that things are a lot smoother if you don't have spaces in your paths :). In the fstab file you have to use \040 instead of a space and on the command line you have to enclose the directory paths in double quotes--neither needed if you don't use spaces.)

The file /root/.smbcredentials_sagetv contains the following:

username=SageTV
password=MY_PASS

Instead of credentials=xxx in the fstab file you can put username=xxx,password=yyy, but then anyone with an account on the box can read the password. I like to lock things down a little more on my systems though, (and cringe whenever I see the suggestion to do a chmod 777 on anything...)

EnterNoEscape 06-01-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarylFStein (Post 589215)
(and cringe whenever I see the suggestion to do a chmod 777 on anything...)

I'll agree with you on that, but if I just want to clear up if it's permissions or something else, it's a fast way to verify what you need to work out.

I suppose 766 would be a little less risky from a security standpoint.

Fuzzy 06-01-2016 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarylFStein (Post 589201)
I just mounted my share. See man mount.cifs. You can add the mount to /etc/fstab to have it mount on boot.

I use Windows Clients, so UNC paths are required for comskip playback. I'm sure I can work around some mapping to make it work - but I think Sage SHOULD be able to browse the network, so this likely needs to be fixed if something is broken.

ranger 06-01-2016 08:41 PM

I had problems with mount.cifs so I installed autofs. autofs will disconnect the after a specified period to save system resources and do an automatic remount, however it can also be configured to not disconnect. In addition to cifs shares it can connect to NFS shares as well. I configured my NFS target share to accept connections from the SageTV server IP address.

# Install autofs and connect to Network shares
sudo apt-get install nfs-common
sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
sudo apt-get install autofs

sudo mkdir -p /var/media/nfstarget
sudo mkdir -p /var/media/shared

# add to /etc/auto.master
/var/media/shared /etc/auto.cifs-shares --timeout=0 --ghost
/var/media/nfstarget /etc/auto.nfs-shares --timeout=0 --ghost

# Added lines like this to /etc/auto.cifs-shares
shareName -fstype=cifs,rw,username=user,password=password ://192.168.1.1/Public/SharedVideos

# Added to /etc/auto.nfs-shares
TVSeries -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,tcp,nolock 192.168.1.2:/media/TVSeries

nyplayer 06-01-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy (Post 589218)
I use Windows Clients, so UNC paths are required for comskip playback. I'm sure I can work around some mapping to make it work - but I think Sage SHOULD be able to browse the network, so this likely needs to be fixed if something is broken.

Agree I give up mounting shares from my Nas did not work nor mounting my Video folders on my server. I need to be able to browse the network within sagetv too.... Will stick with windows for now.

nyplayer 06-02-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarylFStein (Post 589215)
Yes, it's just like a local partition.

For a one-time mount try something like this:

Code:

sudo mount -t cifs //MYNAS/MYSHARE /TARGET/DIR -o username=SHARE_USER,password=SHARE_PASS
In your case /TARGET/DIR is probably /media/tv. Make sure the directory exists and is empty, (it doesn't have to be empty, but after the mount any files in there will be "hidden" behind the mount).

My share is \\STEINSERVER\Recorded TV and I have a user "SageTV" with read/write access to the share so my mount looked like this:

Code:

sudo mount -t cifs "//STEINSERVER/Recorded TV" "/media/steinserver/Recorded TV" -o username=Sagetv,password=MY_PASS
Then to mount automatically on boot I edited /etc/fstab and added the following line:

Code:

//STEINSERVER/Recorded\040TV /media/steinserver/Recorded\040TV  cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials_sagetv,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm      0      0
(Note that things are a lot smoother if you don't have spaces in your paths :). In the fstab file you have to use \040 instead of a space and on the command line you have to enclose the directory paths in double quotes--neither needed if you don't use spaces.)

The file /root/.smbcredentials_sagetv contains the following:

username=SageTV
password=MY_PASS

Instead of credentials=xxx in the fstab file you can put username=xxx,password=yyy, but then anyone with an account on the box can read the password. I like to lock things down a little more on my systems though, (and cringe whenever I see the suggestion to do a chmod 777 on anything...)


Finally I got it to work had to use the IP of the NAS and not the name.

Thanks.

Fuzzy 06-02-2016 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyplayer (Post 589223)
Agree I give up mounting shares from my Nas did not work nor mounting my Video folders on my server. I need to be able to browse the network within sagetv too.... Will stick with windows for now.

Well, don't misread me - I would have no real issues server side setting up mount points and such, and can likely work around getting it to also work on the client as well by making a tree below the sage home directory to mimic the linux path and mounting the same shares in that location. I don't actually need a Linux server, as I've only got 2 extenders, and occasionally connect with a single placeshifter, so heap issues don't really affect me. However, as a pseudo developer/community guy here, I feel I need to push the project towards ease of use, in which case network browsing really needs to be a thing out of the box - especially when it is possible on the windows server, and the UI indicates it is possible. If we need to add extra logic to the sage server to handle the mounting (including prompting for credentials if required), and invisibly translate between UNC paths and the lniux based path, that's what we need to push toward.

EDIT: That said, this is really only an issue with Comskip Playback - and that plugin really SHOULD be reworked to access the file via SageTV API's that can access the server filesystem, instead of direct java fileIO, which accesses if via the client's filesystem. It's been many years since I've looked into doing any plugin work, so maybe that's where I should focus my attention for now.

nyplayer 06-02-2016 04:58 AM

Well one thing I am glad that I at least tried the install the script ... it is fantastic takes all the guess work out of installing. But the limitation of not being able o browse or use unc paths is a deal breaker for me. I too do not have many Mini clients most of my clients are windows clients.


Congrats to he author of the script great job.

EnterNoEscape 06-02-2016 06:17 AM

As I understand it, smb://server/share should work. When I tried to add anything to my media directories in that manner, the STV just offers to create a folder based on the name. It doesn't appear to know I'm not specifying a local path. This thread suggests that SageTV can do these things on it's own, but I don't see how. I see the code that's supposed to mount the share in the source, but I'm not sure how that ties into the STV. Going all the way up the levels and selecting Network results in it failing to find anything.

I personally just mount everything in fstab, but I can see this being a problem for other users that really just want it to work.

nyplayer 06-02-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 589231)
As I understand it, smb://server/share should work. When I tried to add anything to my media directories in that manner, the STV just offers to create a folder based on the name. It doesn't appear to know I'm not specifying a local path. This thread suggests that SageTV can do these things on it's own, but I don't see how. I see the code that's supposed to mount the share in the source, but I'm not sure how that ties into the STV. Going all the way up the levels and selecting Network results in it failing to find anything.

I personally just mount everything in fstab, but I can see this being a problem for other users that really just want it to work.

The problem is getting Comskip to work in full SageTV Clients when using fstab.

stuckless 06-02-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape (Post 589231)
As I understand it, smb://server/share should work. When I tried to add anything to my media directories in that manner, the STV just offers to create a folder based on the name. It doesn't appear to know I'm not specifying a local path. This thread suggests that SageTV can do these things on it's own, but I don't see how. I see the code that's supposed to mount the share in the source, but I'm not sure how that ties into the STV. Going all the way up the levels and selecting Network results in it failing to find anything.

I personally just mount everything in fstab, but I can see this being a problem for other users that really just want it to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyplayer (Post 589234)
The problem is getting Comskip to work in full SageTV Clients when using fstab.

The whole comskip issues with clients could be totally mitigated if the comskip stv code used the http://sagetv.com/api/sage/api/Utili...g(java.io.File) API.

Fuzzy 06-02-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuckless (Post 589235)
The whole comskip issues with clients could be totally mitigated if the comskip stv code used the http://sagetv.com/api/sage/api/Utili...g(java.io.File) API.

That work is in progress as we speak, so hopefully it will be a non-issue soon. Still, I would much rather paths be browseable from within the Sage UI without having to map mount points manually. That's the type of thing that really makes people shy away from Linux.

Taddeusz 06-02-2016 08:39 AM

I have problems directly browsing my network at home but I assumed it was because I have a Windows domain and the machines I am attaching to are domain members. Maybe there should be a way to prompt for or otherwise enter domain credentials. I know, I'm a big nerd for having my own Windows domain at home. :blush:

BobPhoenix 06-05-2016 02:31 PM

I can browse the network with the docker stuckless put out. The only thing I had to do to browse to my computers is eliminate my WHS v1 server from becoming the master browser on the network. My unRAID server is my master browser but my WHSv1 server would ignore the fact that a master browser already existed when it booted and list itself as the master browser also which eliminated browsing from the docker since there were two master browsers on the network.

Basically I turned off on my WHSv1 server the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters key MaintainServerList. It was set to Yes I set it to NO and then I was able to browse the network from the docker.

I also found that SageTV installed on Mint 17.3 to be able to browse the network when the Ubuntu and Debian installs I tried could not - don't know why. Probably just luck of the draw or some setting I changed that I don't remember now.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.