SageTV Community

SageTV Community (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/index.php)
-   SageTV Media Extender (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   HD200 turns itself on by itself - no idea why... (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66837)

tvmaster2 11-20-2021 04:29 PM

HD200 turns itself on by itself - no idea why...

I have on HD200 which seems to be turning itself on.
That shouldn't be possible, should it?
Unit is located in an isolated room, with no direct IR signals which can reach it.
Any idea why this may be happening?
Windows 10 64bit Sage installation

KryptoNyte 11-20-2021 05:49 PM

Maybe a bad power supply or intermittent power to the unit? I seem to recall every time my power goes out and comes back on, that all my extenders default to on.

tvmaster2 11-20-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KryptoNyte (Post 631803)
Maybe a bad power supply or intermittent power to the unit? I seem to recall every time my power goes out and comes back on, that all my extenders default to on.

I'll check the power bar, but no other devices are having troubles. And if I have a spare PS, I'll swap it out. I was more concerned I triggered a hidden menu item in Device Setup that's responsible

tvmaster2 12-13-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KryptoNyte (Post 631803)

Power supply's seem good.

But now, BOTH my HD200 AND HD300 are randomly turning themselves "on".

Any more ideas - anyone else? This seems to have started with my new, W10 64bit installation.

If a "switch on" command is being sent to the media extenders somehow, it's likely coming from the SageTV software, as opposed to Windows 10, correct?

Narflex 12-13-2021 04:25 PM

They do default to the 'on' state when power is applied. Maybe you're having brownouts or other power fluctuations that are causing them to reboot.

tvmaster2 12-13-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narflex (Post 632042)
They do default to the 'on' state when power is applied. Maybe you're having brownouts or other power fluctuations that are causing them to reboot.

Thanks - good to see you're still around too. I'll keep an eye out for that, but at the moment, they are the only devices behaving this way. The only thing that's changed in the house, electrically, is a new furnace has been installed. I'll observe their behaviour when it kicks in, as it makes quite a thud.
Otherwise - it's a mystery for sure, since neither are RF controlled.

KeithAbbott 12-13-2021 06:11 PM

Any reason why you don't want them to just stay on?

KryptoNyte 12-13-2021 06:27 PM

If you have an uninterruptible power supply around, give it a shot with just one of them.

wayner 12-14-2021 08:50 AM

There are (were?) some plugins that would turn them on automatically when SageTV started. SageTCPServer was one of these.

trk2 12-14-2021 09:33 AM

Just use Routerunner's Automatic Power Off plugin. You can find the plugin here.

tvmaster2 01-18-2022 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narflex (Post 632042)

Finally figured it out - whenever I reboot my W10 server, it would appear a “turn-on” (or maybe a change-state command) is sent to all my media extenders.
Don’t recall that happening before. Any ideas?

wayner 01-18-2022 07:48 AM

Do you have SageTCP Server installed? Is it a bad thing that the extenders are turned on. I doubt that the power consumption is any different between on and standby. As long as you have enough Java heap and set up any remote controls to handle this you should be good to have them all powered on all the time.

tvmaster2 01-18-2022 01:23 PM

I guess it's only a bad thing if one extender stops you from deleting files, or changing channels on an active extender. As long as an extender hasn't joined the server, I should fine, correct?
I've got loads of heap, and I run the SageTV Service, but don't think I'm running TCP?
Nonetheless - when did this happen, or is it part of the custom Malore Menus maybe - the sending of a command switch when rebooting the server?

wayner 01-18-2022 04:00 PM

As long as the extender is stopped and not actively playing a recorded file or LiveTV then it shouldn't block anything. So as long as you hit stop when you are finished watching you should be good.

Not sure when it happens but I wrote a routine to connect all extenders in unRAID when the docker restarts.

jhkoenig 01-18-2022 06:39 PM

Do you have a Roomba robot vacuum cleaner near the HD200? It uses IR to navigate and I had it mess with IR controlled devices. Not kidding btw.

wayner 01-18-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhkoenig (Post 632785)
Do you have a Roomba robot vacuum cleaner near the HD200? It uses IR to navigate and I had it mess with IR controlled devices. Not kidding btw.

This is awesome. A rogue Roomba decides what you want to watch on TV. The robots are talking over!