SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD Homerun - Bad Station IDs

Trying to get SageTV 9 setup (I know, I know, been trying since March...to many other priorities) and the channel scan in SageTV 9 for an HD Homerun (the original one) is producing some very odd results:

As you can see on the right, some, but not all, of the station names have extra illegible characters following the ID in SageTV 9. They do not when I scan using the original HDHR software (left) in Windows. They also displayed correctly in SageTV 7. Could this be caused by a locale issue inside the docker? What else might be the issue?

Setup details:

- Docker inside Ubuntu Server inside Virtualbox running on top of NAS4Free 11 (NAS4Free does not at this time support Docker and Docker in FreeBSD in general is experimental).

- Stucklesses SageTV 9 server w/Java container

- SageTV V9 Client on Windows 7

I have tried rebooting the HDHR. Both tuners behave the same. Both tuners are connected to OTA. I was going to try to update the firmware but it appears Silicon Dust only offers beta software at this time (???) and it isn't clear if the old HDHR is supported (running 20140121 firmware at this time).
Old 07-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm giving up for now in pure frustration. 6 hours playing and nothing to show for it, and I have higher priorities for this Independence Day evening.

If I keep the server and the client 100% on windows, no problem. "It just works".

If I run the server on Ubuntu/docker, HDHR station ID gives garbage.

Against my better judgement I installed the beta firmware (apparently the old devices are now known as the HDHR Discover). No change.

I have started over. No change.

I messed with locale settings in Ubuntu. No change.

I tried copying the .frq files from windows after successfully setting it up there. No change.

I have tried with and without a schedule direct lineup. If anything, a line-up seems to make it even more confused.

I tried running docker/server directly on Ubuntu (no virtualbox, FreeBSD to get in the way). No change.

I have read many many log files. I see no errors or anything that looks out of the ordinary. I can't seem to find where it is actually scanning the HDHR though?

I am at my wits end on this I welcome any further ideas!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried remapping the channels? Maybe if you do you can remap them to the stations without the extra characters? Not a fix, but a possible workaround.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Would need to see a sagetv log of the scan to have any hope of figuring out where the problem lies.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had the same issue with odd characters when setting up my new unraid box with sage in a docker. TO fix it I deleted the lineup from SD and then readded it, to get rid of all the wierd characters I had to remove all mapped channels. The other odd thing thing that was happening to me was that my HD Homeruns during the scan somehow imported a different SD lineup or scanned from HDHR prime because I got all my cable channels. My setup for sagetv in docker was a lot more complicated then when I did it in ubuntu.
Good luck.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Fuzzy, see attached...not sure there is much here to go on? Or maybe there is a different log file you need. I cleared out the server directory so this is starting over completely from scratch. In this example, I have scanned both HDHR tuners and did not associate a channel lineup from schedule direct for either tuner. Another problem that I did not mention is, besides the station call letters, I have additional channels 2 through 22 and also channel "-" that show up. None have subchannels, call letters, etc and are quite obviously completely bogus. Please help!!!

tmiranda, unfortunately not practical, at least half and probably closer to 2/3rd of channels (out of ~130) have this problem. I suspect a better work around would be to download the schedules direct lineup and simply not scan. I would have to manually add a few stations, but then I would need to figure out which ones...

Korney, nice to know I'm not the only one with "issues"!
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (32.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by texneus View Post
Fuzzy, see attached...not sure there is much here to go on? Or maybe there is a different log file you need. I cleared out the server directory so this is starting over completely from scratch. In this example, I have scanned both HDHR tuners and did not associate a channel lineup from schedule direct for either tuner. Another problem that I did not mention is, besides the station call letters, I have additional channels 2 through 22 and also channel "-" that show up. None have subchannels, call letters, etc and are quite obviously completely bogus. Please help!!!

tmiranda, unfortunately not practical, at least half and probably closer to 2/3rd of channels (out of ~130) have this problem. I suspect a better work around would be to download the schedules direct lineup and simply not scan. I would have to manually add a few stations, but then I would need to figure out which ones...

Korney, nice to know I'm not the only one with "issues"!
The debug log is missing the actual scan results. If you are using the windows client to scan, you need to include the sageclient_0.txt file as well, as the scan is processed at the UI level, so it will show the results in the UI's log file. If should include a number of SCANINFO= lines in there that show the info it's getting from the capture device.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The debug log is missing the actual scan results. If you are using the windows client to scan, you need to include the sageclient_0.txt file as well, as the scan is processed at the UI level, so it will show the results in the UI's log file. If should include a number of SCANINFO= lines in there that show the info it's getting from the capture device.
Interesting, had no idea. Here is the client log from Windows that should match up to the scan & log file from last night.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_0.zip (80.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just in case this is a helpful comparison, I'm attaching log files for a scan I ran this morning on a pure Windows 7 setup, still client-server model, not the "all in one mode" (what ever it's called ). Same installation of Windows, same machine, clean SageTV install, just the Docker server out of the way. As noted before the scan is free of the issues observed.

Interestingly, before it will scan in Windows at all I have to exit/restart SageTV client (only!), then add the HDHR either through the setup wizard or through the SageTV menus (either works). If I try to add an HDHR tuner on the first run of the client I get the following error at the very start of a channel scan:

Watch request failed.
ERROR (-12): There was a null object requested to playback.

Perhaps something for the Windows folks to look into? I'll try the same using the Docker server in a bit for grins...if I do not followup shortly you can assume it made no difference.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Win7 Logs.zip (120.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

So for troubleshooting, I disabled docker and installed the server from the .deb package straight onto Ubuntu Server (still inside virtualbox, etc). A channel scan of the HDHR produces the same error -12 as before and has the same solution. Once the channels can be scanned, I end up with the same bogus channel "-" followed by 2 through 23. After that all the channels appear correctly. So the HDHR channel scan (mostly) works in an Ubuntu VM.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Well, for whatever reason, the weird characters in the channel ids are being returned by the native HDHR bits. I'm not really familiar with that part for now (and honestly, don't use it with my OTA HDHR's - using OpenDCT instead), so I'm not sure if this is something that is new, has always happened, or is maybe firmware related.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Fuzzy, I appreciate this but something is simply not adding up. If what the Docker log shows is what the HDHR is returning, then the HDHR scanning utilities in Windows and Ubuntu incorporate some logic to filter this out and show the correct channel data, as does SageTV in Windows and Ubuntu. If that is the case then this feature somehow got lost in the Docker implementation.

On the other hand, if the HDHR scanning utilities in Windows, Ubuntu, and the Windows SageTV server are accurately displaying what the HDHR reports, then the Docker implementation is adding something of it's own on the way through. Either way it seems like something in the Docker implementation is amiss.

I've concluded there is possibly two, possibly related, problems. The first being the addition of bogus channel numbers which happens in both Ubuntu and Docker implementations, but does not occur in Windows. The second is the bogus channel names/IDs which only seems to be happen in Docker. I took the liberty of posting the first issue on GitHub. One thing at a time...

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:13 AM
SageTVaholic

I suppose the quick fix would be to use openDCT instead of the direct HDHR access in SageTV. I also think it wise to go ahead and update the firmware - this may be something that was changed at some point between 2014 and today.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks again for the input. I thought about using OpenDCT or even the network encoder in Windows that will host my Colossus, but that adds yet another layer of complexity in an arguably already complicated and unconventional setup. I'm going to stick with running the server in an Ubuntu VM for now. The bogus channel numbers can be simply disabled and i verified that repeat scans do not produce yet more bogus channels. As I said on Git, I'll keep the Kubuntu setup so this can continue to be troubleshot there. Hopefully in the future I can move to the docker for the advantages it offers (ease of updates, Comskip, etc.).

HDHR firmware was updated to the latest (beta) version on 7-4. It made no difference...
Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texneus View Post
Just in case this is a helpful comparison, I'm attaching log files for a scan I ran this morning on a pure Windows 7 setup, still client-server model......

Interestingly, before it will scan in Windows at all I have to exit/restart SageTV client (only!), then add the HDHR either through the setup wizard or through the SageTV menus (either works). If I try to add an HDHR tuner on the first run of the client I get the following error at the very start of a channel scan:

Watch request failed.
ERROR (-12): There was a null object requested to playback.

Perhaps something for the Windows folks to look into? .....
I just performed a clean install of the Windows Version 9.1.5.683 with OpenDCT .5.28 on Win 7 64 bit (Clean install) and noticed the exact same error. I did not have SD account setup so I did the "Do not use program guide option".

I got the above error message too. It was late so I exited SageTV. This Am I went to edit the properties file so I shut the server. After I went back and did a channel scan with no issue. All appeared correct (no corrupt characters like above).

I am guessing to avoid this one should exit the Wizard at the Source Setup screen and then restart.

FWIW, I installed java 7.79 then OpenDCT(32bit), ran the console then started OpenDCT. After I installed Sage and opened it directly to the Setup Wizard.

Also I updated my HDHR from Firmware 20150615 to the Firmware 20161119. It looses the ability to deselect stations (enabled checkbox) in HDHR Setup. bummer. The ConfigGUI tool also disappears. There are now only 2 options in the Start menu. I tried to address the issue of Firmware 20170717beta2 software on the SD site with a ticket, but after 3 exchanges they do not seem to understand the issue.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV.zip (46.0 KB, 19 views)
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615

Last edited by RangerZ; 07-23-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add log files