SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

JVMMaxHeapSizeMB

I know there are many posts about this issue... in fact, that is why I am so frustrated.

My JVM Heap Size: Used/Total/Max 263MB/420MB/519MB

Windows Vista Ultimate - 4GB Ram
SageTV v9.1.6.747
Java v1.8.0_141

I have looked at so many of the above mentioned threads that my head is swimming. I have tried so many things that were suggested that I no longer know up from down.

Is there some easy-to-understand way to access (or get STV to allow) the 1024MB Max?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Sage Icon

There are two issues likely....

There are 2 entries in the registry and you are changing the wrong one...

and/or

As this is vista (old unsupported OS) it is unlikely that the installer set registry permissions correctly. Find the sagetv frey entry above the heap setting and set the permissions to "everyone" and cascade that permission to its children.

You could also try running the installer as admin and run repair and try running Sagetv as admin.

k
Old 08-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can also try Babgvant's Sage TV Registry settings.

http://babgvant.com/files/10/default.aspx

Among other things, it will let you set the Java heap memory.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
You can also try Babgvant's Sage TV Registry settings.

http://babgvant.com/files/10/default.aspx

Among other things, it will let you set the Java heap memory.
The "SageTV Registry Settings" shows 1024MB.

There is only a single entry in the Registry of "JVMMaxHeapSizeMB"... or simply "JVM" for that matter.

Permissions are set to "everyone."

I ran the "Repair" as Administrator with the Installer. (Shutting down the STV Service first and then rebooting.)

(Yes, I had done all of these things previously but did it all again in case I missed something.)

The "Max" is still at 519MB.

I did notice this for the first time in System Information: Base STV File: SageTV7.xml (version 9.0.12.2 March 10, 2012, Name: SageTV7) (I am sure it was always there, I only just noticed it.) The installed version is still the one mentioned above. What does this mean?

FWIW, I had 1024MB usage in v7.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The "SageTV Registry Settings" shows 1024MB.

There is only a single entry in the Registry of "JVMMaxHeapSizeMB"... or simply "JVM" for that matter.

Permissions are set to "everyone."

I ran the "Repair" as Administrator with the Installer. (Shutting down the STV Service first and then rebooting.)

(Yes, I had done all of these things previously but did it all again in case I missed something.)

The "Max" is still at 519MB.

I did notice this for the first time in System Information: Base STV File: SageTV7.xml (version 9.0.12.2 March 10, 2012, Name: SageTV7) (I am sure it was always there, I only just noticed it.) The installed version is still the one mentioned above. What does this mean?

FWIW, I had 1024MB usage in v7.
Are you running Gemstone? It's built on that version of STV.

Also, if you've ever upgraded V9 over V9, did you make sure it installed in the same path? There's an options button on the first screen. Some people had issues with installs into the wrong place, particularly if they installed it in a non-standard place originally.

Last edited by wnjj; 08-24-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Are you running Gemstone? It's built on that version of STV.

Also, if you've ever upgraded V9 over V9, did you make sure it installed in the same path? There's an options button on the first screen. Some people had issues with installs into the wrong place, particularly if they installed it in a non-standard place originally.
Yes, I am running Gemstone. I have reverted back to the v7 interface temporarily as part of troubleshooting another issue.

I installed into the default location every time. In any event, there is only one instance of SageTV.exe on the machine.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Sage Icon

I don't see how you still have 500M. There was never a version of Sage that used that. Looking at the launcher, the default went from 384 to 768 in 2015 (pre-open source). Otherwise it uses the registry setting.

If you have a JDK (dev kit) installed, you can use 'jps -lvm' to see the command line arguments that started the JVM. The parameter is '-Xmx'.

Also, to clarify what mode are you running (service or standalone)? Where are you checking the info, a client on the server, another client machine or an extender?

EDIT: See if you have a system environment variable called '_JAVA_OPTIONS'. Apparently you can set that for system-wide global java environment settings.

Last edited by wnjj; 08-24-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I don't see how you still have 500M. There was never a version of Sage that used that. Looking at the launcher, it went from 384 to 768 in 2015 (pre-open source).

If you have a JDK (dev kit) installed, you can use 'jps -lvm' to see the command line arguments that started the JVM. The parameter is '-Xmx'.

Also, to clarify what mode are you running (service or standalone)? Where are you checking the info, a client on the machine, another machine client or an extender?
Whoa! This is way above my head.

I don't have a JDK... that I know of. Nor would I know what to do with it if I did.

I opened Command.com in "System32" and entered "jps -lvm" and was told that "jps is not recognized..." That kinda defines the extend of my knowledge in this area.

Where would I go to find what mode I am running? I don't know the difference.

I am checking the data on what I assumed (up until now) was the Server... or, at least, it is the only machine that I open SageTV.exe with. How would I check for this information on all those other devices.?

As you can see, I am not as knowledgeable as you give me credit for. It would be nice if you came down to my level for a moment and I will try my dangest to get up to speed.

Last edited by RonBoyd; 08-24-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Whoa! This is way above my head.

I don't have a JDK... that I know of. Nor would I know what to do with it if I did.

I opened Command.com in "System32" and entered "jps -lvm" and was told that "jps is not recognized..." That kinda defines the extend of my knowledge in this area.

Where would I go to find what mode I am running? I don't know the difference.

I am checking the data on what I assumed (up until now) was the Server... or, at least, it is the only machine that I open SageTV.exe with. How would I check for this information on all those other devices.?

As you can see, I am not as knowledgeable as you give me credit for. It would be nice if you came down to my level for a moment and I will try my dangest to get up to speed.

That's fine. I didn't know what level you are at and if you aren't the type to install and run JDK stuff then it's probably not worth doing anyway. It was just an idea.

The 'mode' is whether you installed SageTV as a service or you just run 'sagetv.exe' to start the server. You would have had to configure the service to use service mode so if you only ever run a .exe (or have your computer do that upon startup), you are running standalone mode. An extender like HD200 or HD300 would report the server heap settings as well.

Can you check for the environment variable? Go to 'My Computer', right-click and select properties, then 'advanced system settings', then 'environment variables'. Look through both lists for anything 'java' and report what you find. Note: the instructions I gave are for Win7 but I'm pretty sure Vista was the same.

Last edited by wnjj; 08-24-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
That's fine. I didn't know what level you are at and if you aren't the type to install and run JDK stuff then it's probably not worth doing anyway. It was just an idea.

The 'mode' is whether you installed SageTV as a service or you just run 'sagetv.exe' to start the server. You would have had to configure the service to use service mode so if you only ever run a .exe (or have your computer do that upon startup), you are running standalone mode. An extender like HD200 or HD300 would report the server heap settings as well.

Can you check for the environment variable? Go to 'My Computer', right-click and select properties, then 'advanced system settings', then 'environment variables'. Look through both lists for anything 'java' and report what you find. Note: the instructions I gave are for Win7 but I'm pretty sure Vista was the same.
Sorry, had to go get a sandwich... its been a long 10 hours since breakfast.

Yes, the HD300 extender does report the same data.

There is in "Properties" this:

Variable Name: Java Options.
Variable Value: -xmx 512m

Hmmmm.

I should mention that I may have to wait until tomorrow to make any changes that require shutting down SageTV. SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has control of the TV viewing right now and I dare not interrupt that. <grin>
Old 08-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Hmmmm.

I should mention that I may have to wait until tomorrow to make any changes that require shutting down SageTV. SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has control of the TV viewing right now and I dare not interrupt that. <grin>
Well there you go. Change that to 1024m (or better yet, delete it and let the registry entry take over since I'm not sure if that variable supersedes other potentially needed settings). Save a screenshot in case you break something.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Hmmmm.

That is definitely the source. JAVA_OPTIONS will pretty much override anything else. No idea what or how that environment variable was set for you, but you are probably best to remove that variable entirely.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That is definitely the source. JAVA_OPTIONS will pretty much override anything else. No idea what or how that environment variable was set for you, but you are probably best to remove that variable entirely.
wnjj & Fuzzy,

Thank you so much!

Again, I will do it tomorrow but it just feels right to me.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Good sleuthing guys!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Okay, that worked. I changed Variable Value: -xmx512m to -xmx1024m.

Now JVM Heap Size: Used/Total/Max 250MB/396MB/1074MB

That is all the diagnostics that I did but I am pretty confident SageTV will act as expected when running it later today.

I can't thank wnjj enough for taking the time to solve this issue for me... nor find the words to adequately describe my appreciation.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:31 AM
SageTVaholic

You are still probably better off getting rid of the variable entirely so that this doesn't bite you again. Hopefully someone will make changes in the future to the Windows version of SageTV that will allow the 64 bit JVM to be used. Then you will be able to use larger sizes for JVM heap.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
You are still probably better off getting rid of the variable entirely so that this doesn't bite you again.
Okay, something for later. However, I am curious of why it is even there if it can be eliminated so nonchalantly?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

I have two Windows system running SageTV V9 and neither of them have these Java environment variables. It doesn't sound like anyone else using Sage has come across this issue either - so maybe Java was installed on your system in a non-standard way.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I have two Windows system running SageTV V9 and neither of them have these Java environment variables. It doesn't sound like anyone else using Sage has come across this issue either - so maybe Java was installed on your system in a non-standard way.
Could be. This machine has been running 24/7 for almost ten years now... there were probably uncountable times that Java was updated/upgraded including all those times in the past that required uninstalling (with separate stand-alone software) prior to upgrading. In any event, I am not a tinkerer so the standard/default way of installation would have been used every time.

A little off-topic but I am constantly amazed that this machine has been operating that long with no repairs other than software issues. I do, every couple years or so, shut it off, open it up, and blow the dust out. Well, it has gone through three monitors. I fully expect it to simply die one day so I don't get too excited when things go wrong. I would miss it, however. It is like a member of the family.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

Just got rid of a refrigerator had for 25+ years. Bought with reenlistment bonus after getting married. Replacement is definitely not as well made as old one <sigh>