SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

MVP Problems with 6.4 and 6.5

I moved to a new system with Vista x64 and did a fresh install of the newest version of Sage but I ran into some problems with my MVP.

DVDs would play for a while then they would just freeze about every 20 mins, after 15-20 seconds of waiting I just stopped the DVD and started it again. This is where the next problem became apparent, Sage wasn't offering to resume playback from the point where it stopped. I found out this was because the timer would never leave 0, I could use skip and FF and the movie would skip and FF but the timer would always say 0. This was only on the extender, everything played fine on the PC.

I tried reinstalling, even with no addons it didnt work. I uninstalled and tried 6.4 but had the same problem. I uninstalled that and tried 6.3 which is working great and the MVP is more responsive than with 6.4 and 6.5.

Is this a known problem and is there a fix? I did a little searching on the forums and found a few people reporting extenders acting up but there was never a solution posted.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to JCassey Send a message via AIM to JCassey
Hey Oats..

I'm running into the exact same thing as you.

Currently upgraded to 6.5.9 from 6.3.10 and I can't get my MVP to playback anything without stuttering. Even low bitrate MPG2's. Before I was able to play anything, flawlessly.. even AVI's transcoded to divx and xvid.

Nothing else in the network or my PC has changed, except for the version of Sage. I came to the boards seeking a solution and this is the first post where I have seen someone having a problem like mine.

Did you ever come up with a solution, or anything to try? I really don't want to go through the pain of having to backout to 6.3.10 if I don't need to.

Thanks and good luck in solving this.

Peace out...
Jay
Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Was thinking about updating Sage to the latest versio!!

However I think I'll hold on until this issue is resolved.

The WAF is pretty high right now..................wouldn't want to jeopardize it!

We are running two MVP's with SageTV 6.3.10 - runs nearly perfect!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkboat View Post
Was thinking about updating Sage to the latest versio!!

However I think I'll hold on until this issue is resolved.

The WAF is pretty high right now..................wouldn't want to jeopardize it!

We are running two MVP's with SageTV 6.3.10 - runs nearly perfect!!!!
Forgot to mention running WinXP.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

I haven't figured it out, I've just gone back to 6.3. What sucks is the newest version of SageMC doesn't work right with 6.3 and I didn't find a place to get the older SageMC (although I didn't look too hard).

I contacted Sage support and sent them some log files and am hoping they can find a solution.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to JCassey Send a message via AIM to JCassey
Hey Oats..

I have the downloaded zip (sagemc_6_3_7a_full.zip) file of Sage MC ver 6.3.7a. I was using it with my Sage 6.3.10 at one time.

If you need it, just shoot me a PM and we'll figure out how I can get it to you.

And thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm gonna have to roll back to 6.3.10.

Peace out...
Jason
Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
SageTVaholic

I am running MediaMVP's just fine on 6.5. In fact I spent 2 hours yesterday in my office watching Interview with a Vampire that I ripped to hard drive. I am running windows XP.

Oats: Are you running SP1 on that Vista install?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Oats: Are you running SP1 on that Vista install?
Yes, SP1 and all updates after that are installed.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCassey View Post
Hey Oats..

I have the downloaded zip (sagemc_6_3_7a_full.zip) file of Sage MC ver 6.3.7a. I was using it with my Sage 6.3.10 at one time.

If you need it, just shoot me a PM and we'll figure out how I can get it to you.

And thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm gonna have to roll back to 6.3.10.

Peace out...
Jason
Thanks for the offer but I keep switching back from 6.5 to 6.3 to create logs for support so it would just give me more crap to have to reinstall every time lol

They got back to me again today and want me to send in some more debug logs.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just updating this since it was resolved. Support sent me a Sage.jar about a month ago to test. I finally got around to testing it over the weekend and it works great. When I told support that it worked they told me the newest beta has the fix.

This was my first experience with Sage support and I was impressed. They were quick to respond to my emails and they worked with me find a resolution. After a few weeks of trying different things and sending in logs I went on vacation. I felt kind of bad it took me over a month to try out the last fix they sent. I was a little worried they might tell me the MVP is old and I should just upgrade to a new HD extender like many companies do with new products. I'm glad to see they still care about their users that are still using SD and older extenders.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Sage User

Latest beta - Different problems??

OK - So, this is the first post I've seen about recent betas having problems with the MVPs, and I too experienced the bad timer in the DVD playback, but I dont remember on what version that was...

Recently, I upgraded to the latest, 6.5.13, and the MVP became USELESS.. The menu comes up, and I can manage to get it to live TV, but there's no words when I try to go back to a menu after seeing live TV. Also, no text or time bar over the live TV when I FF/RW.. Until seeing this thread, I had not considered that it could be SageMC, but apparently it is/was..

I reselected the default SageTV3 application package, and it's working better now..

Is that typical? Do I just have to reinstall the latest MC, or is there a requirement for a new SageMC every time a beta comes out? Should I have switched all my MPVs back to standard BEFORE installing the upgrade? (That's a pain!) Is there a way from the server to force all the clients back to SageTV3?

Thanks in advance.. The WAF became a "Wife laughing at me factor" after this last upgrade!! ;-)

-Steve