SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Sage User

A giant and far fetched request... XBOX support!

I know that many of us are already playing back media files on the xbox via shared recordings folders, but the idea of using this console as a SageTV client is flat out awesome. I was looking into this myself and I beleive I could program everything save for the actual live TV usage - I would have no idea where to begin. Things like status, tv guide info, recording schedules, etc, I beleive could be handled externally of sage (config files such as a schedules output file, etc)

Has anyone ever looked into this? The xbox already has full support for every media type you could imagine via XBMC, and DVD playback is natively supported. On top of that, the xbox has an optional remote and the codes can be learned by nearly any JP1 remote so you could use a variety of universals with it. I could see somone skilled writing a plugin to hook right into Sage - I simply lack the basic info to do anything about this on my own. Would definately be willing to devote time to the project if others were interested and had an idea of where to begin.

Of course the major hangup is that while xbox modification is super simple and nearly risk free these days, you can't really discuss that aspect of it most places - it would surely have to be 100% unofficial and kept strictly within legal conversation.

Last edited by k1114; 04-20-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think you would have better luck talking to the XBMC crowd. They already have the core 95% of what we would be looking for, and have shown willingness to support products such as the ReplayTV.

I very strongly doubt you will see any motion from Sage on this issue, unless they find a legal way to tie into the XBox Media Extender for WMC.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Sage Icon

Only way Frey could do it legally is buy an official XBOX developers kit, and get the app certified. This is HORRENDOUSLY expensive.

Make no mistake, MS would sell the kit and certify the app - they aren't that reuthless with competitiors to MCE... So don't start any "yeah, like MS would sell it to them" threads. I have been involved with a couple of companies licensing developers kits from MS that were doing various competing technology trials... MS is cool about it (that is why they charge so much).

So, if you want this to happen it would have to be a non-Frey solution. Maybe the XBMC guys could help, or someone else. But not sure who.

I have an XBOX, although an UNmodded one... I play too much XBOX live to mess with it. I would love to see an XBOX client too, just don't think you'll ever see a legal one from Frey.

Jason
Old 04-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Sage User

Well obviously this wouldn't be something from Frey, would have to be an independent project. I'm looking into the XBMC side of it and will be trying to speak with members of the community there as well
Old 04-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

One of the biggest problems that the XBMC people will be up against is getting information from Frey on how to act as a client. Frey likes to sell clients. Maybe something like the MVP solution would work. But an XBox could be a smart client given half a chance, and I certainly would prefer a smart client, rather than just a dumb terminal.

Personally, I would love it if something could be done with the XBox. Right now, I can use XBMC to play recorded programs just fine, but it uses the file names and doesn't do usefull things like plot synopsis and grouping.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Sage User

Well...

Just wait until Sage releases its Sage client for Linux. Then you can run it on some of the linux distributions that are available for modded Xboxes. I've already looked into this much myself. I have heard about people using MythTV on their xbox, but then that gets annoying because there really isn't any way to hook up a tv tuner to an Xbox, because the controller adapters, when modded to USB, only run at 11mbps, which would not be sufficient for playback. I run Sage, so I don't really want to configure another TV frontend.
Try checking out some of the Xbox linux programs, install Sagux (fun name ), and run a wifi gaming adapter for your Xbox or an ethernet cable down to your router to hook up to the Sage server.
Good luck, and tell me how it goes!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

You'd need a Java virtual machine on top of linux in order to run Sage.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Sage User

An Xbox install of linux is identical to a PC install in terms of functionality, the big limitation is that a normal xbox only has 64mb of ram That's where I would be very concerned. Other than that I don't forsee any major issues if a client for linux is released.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think the best way is to wait for the linux release of SageTV (client especially ) because I don't see any other legal way.

Modding your xbox with an Linux bootable Bios IS legal ,(not with the hacked biosses, btw) so when the sagetv client is released I think it will be a small step to getting it to run on Xbox.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

BTW, isn't there some way to implement the MVP plugin? I don't know much about this, but shouldn't that plugin give you some hooks into the SageTv to make a start?

Maybe someone at XBMC could then help in implementing the XBMC part..