SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Sage User

Studio Generally Available Soon?

I was pretty interested to read this on the main sage.tv website:

"With the upcoming release of the SageTV Studio, the entire User Interface and functionality will be customizable."

(http://www.sage.tv/stvscreenshots.html?sageSub=tv)

Does anyone know how soon this will happen?

Am I the only person waiting excitedly for this??? I can't wait!!

D.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Sage User

**Gets very excited and begins marking off five months on calander as 'Busy'**

Hehe, hopefully it is not released before this semester is over. I'll never be able to finish my classes!!
Old 05-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

You may have opened a can of worms. There has been talk about this for the better part of 18 months. Frankly, no one is sure if it will ever be available for general release. Only Frey knows and they are silent. Having said that there are a number of beta tester that have done some great things with studio for the unwashed masses. I hope that studio is released someday but look at what has already been done. You may find as I have that there is very little that you cannot already do with available third party add ins.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Sage Expert

Studio=worms

----
<sarcasm>
Did I mention that Sage can't play redbook audio (audio CDs)?
</sarcasm>
Old 05-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Sage Expert

While the 3rd party add-ons are awsome, seriously awsome, I still don't have a TVonDemand type plugin. Nor a host of other things that Meedio's developer's community offers. Thats the price of not having studio generally avaliable and its a detriment to us all.

Quote:
**Gets very excited and begins marking off five months on calander as 'Busy'**
That is why studio needs to be released. There are alot of Sage users with skills in addition to those who currently have access to studio. Allowing them access would make Sage such a better product as well as benifit all Sage's customers. Heck, I'm hoping that I could finally reduce my HTPC to one main product. The fact that I have to use two (Meedio + Sage) is always a warning I give to anyone who asks about Sage vs MCE. I say: "To be correct, its actually Sage+Meedio vs MCE". I just don't understand the logic behind not releasing it. I'd be ok with studio being avalible to anyone with development skills who asks for it but not to the general public. That would work, don't you think? Sage/Frey? What about it?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Heck, I'd even be willing to pay a small fee to get access to it if that were what it would take.

-PGPfan
Old 05-09-2005, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
That is why studio needs to be released. There are alot of Sage users with skills in addition to those who currently have access to studio. Allowing them access would make Sage such a better product as well as benifit all Sage's customers. Heck, I'm hoping that I could finally reduce my HTPC to one main product. The fact that I have to use two (Meedio + Sage) is always a warning I give to anyone who asks about Sage vs MCE. I say: "To be correct, its actually Sage+Meedio vs MCE". I just don't understand the logic behind not releasing it. I'd be ok with studio being avalible to anyone with development skills who asks for it but not to the general public. That would work, don't you think? Sage/Frey? What about it?
Sage has all the same functionality as MCE so a Sage vs MCE comparison is accurate.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
Heck, I'd even be willing to pay a small fee to get access to it if that were what it would take.
We should not have to pay to make their product better.

They're passing up on a bunch of free development by not releasing Studio...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Pay a small fee? I'd even be willing to take some sort of programming aptitude test!

From watching this endless discussion, it seems a lot of concern on Frey's part is that Studio is more of a coding environment than an idiot-proof drag&drop GUI. I suspect there are support concerns: Frey doesn't want to teach people to program; and I fear people confuse the power of Studio for some type of implied simplicity. Just 'cause the end product looks simple doesn't mean it didn't take a lot of work (in fact, that's usually the best guarantee it *did*)

Too bad that some of us who make a living as [Java] software developers can't get our hands on it. Heck - let me make my play in case anyone's watching: SCEA (Sun-certified Enterprise Architect), speaker @ JavaOne, founder of localendar.com (Java-based web calendaring site), Senior Technologist at Goldman Sachs, sometimes author, and huge comskip fan
Old 05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Sage User

Well said and ditto - Sun certified Java programmer and an Enterprise Architect for a well-known consulting and technology firm that shall remain nameless.

Come on Sage!?! (not Frey anymore... - am I the only one to notice the change of company name too?? http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...9145#post99145) Please???

D.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan
"With the upcoming release of the SageTV Studio, the entire User Interface and functionality will be customizable."

(http://www.sage.tv/stvscreenshots.html?sageSub=tv)
I can't find any mention of Studio on the linked page. Was it recently remove?
That sounds like an old statement. Before version 2 was released, Studio seemed to have a prominent place in the future product line, but since then it gets little official mention.

The last announcement about Studio I could find on the forum is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkardatzke
The Studio is still only available to OEMs and a limited group of private testers. We will determine a possible consumer release after the launch of version 3.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

Looks like it has been removed from the page. It was there when this was originally posted.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
Looks like it has been removed from the page. It was there when this was originally posted.
That's what I figured, but I had expected to find a post from the company saying something to the effect that it was an old statement and has now been removed from the page.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Administrator

I think it is safe to say that it was an old statement and has now been removed from the page.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe because the company (SageTV) itself doesn't visit these forums very often it would be wise to organise a petition and send that to them directly?

In this petition would be the strongest pro's and con's the lurkers of these forums could come up with. This way, the message is clearer and the [problem] is brought to their attention in a more direct way.

Btw, If one of the beta-testers wouldn't mind answering the following Q: How does one become a beta-tester of Studio? What prerequisites are there?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methius
Maybe because the company (SageTV) itself doesn't visit these forums very often it would be wise to organise a petition and send that to them directly?

In this petition would be the strongest pro's and con's the lurkers of these forums could come up with. This way, the message is clearer and the [problem] is brought to their attention in a more direct way.
I'm _quite_ sure that SageTV is aware of the issues surrounding Studio.

Quote:
Btw, If one of the beta-testers wouldn't mind answering the following Q: How does one become a beta-tester of Studio? What prerequisites are there?
It is by invitation. As for how they decide who to invite: I don't believe there is any documentation on that.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It is by invitation. As for how they decide who to invite: I don't believe there is any documentation on that.
In other words you gotta know not only where to plant the kiss but who to plant the kiss on and what pose to be in while planting said kiss as well as how long to hold the kiss LOL.

Disclaimer: Get lots of pucker practise before atempting this: Disclaimer

J/K im a bad boy
AMD athlon64X2 3800+, Foxconn (Winfast 6150K8MA-8EKRS) 6150, Windows Vista Ultimate, Geforce FX EVGA 7800gt CO, 1gig 400mhz ddr Ram, 500 gig Western Digital Sata 2 hard drive 8 meg cache, Tuners: Wintv PVR 500 dual tuner, Fusion3 GoldT, NEC 3540a dvd+rw, Sagetv 5.0 Dell 20.1" 2005FPW
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methius
I remember the "good old" when the Brothers were frequent visitors to the forum!

I also remember the promise on the first release of sagetv 2.0 for studio. Which it would appear has been broken, bad show guy's......

Old 05-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wow, what a 180 with regard to the prospects of Studio.

When I first saw the page slumduncan linked, it looked like it was a pretty sure deal that Studio would be coming out in version 3. The quote that slamduncan posted was in the first paragraph, which would mean it should be current information, what with the mention of version 2.2 in that same paragraph. It wasn't like it was on some old page.

Now that that text has been removed, it would seem just the opposite is true. Studio is almost certainly not going to be released in version 3, and it probably never will be. It was originally planned for release in Fall 2003, so that's a year and a half late. I'd say it looks like it's dead. It's very telling is that they took the time to remove the text. If they had planned on releasing it, they probably wouldn't have bothered.

What's irritating to me about this is that they aren't telling us what's going on. It's as if they're too busy to update us. That's clearly not true because they're obviously reading the forums. They shouldn't have just silently removed the text like that without some explanation. You can't say they're too busy because they took the time to read this thread. Why not go ahead and post a quick update?

Last edited by zz5; 05-09-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I'm _quite_ sure that SageTV is aware of the issues surrounding Studio.
Then enough is said about the subject in my eyes. If they've [Sage] have seen some of the arguments (and haven't acted on it), then there must be a major reason for them to be holding Studio back still. (Didn't doubt this beforehand, but hey, what can I say? Can't blame someone for trying.)

<though-cycle for those who did not follow the last Studio Discussion>
In the light of the non-disclosure agreement the beta-testers have to sign, I would think the program [Studio] is capable of viewing/changing things within the SageTV core, thus something they DON'T want everyone to have general acces to (ATM). This would mean that no amount of whining or petitioning could change their opinion about the matter, and this thread can be closed...
</end of thought cycle>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4

- Andy
The reason I asked, was because I'm thinking about building (/already am building) HTPC's for others. Those HTPC's have to be user-practical, or in other words, have a high WAF ....
The very thing which SageTV, at the moment, seriously lacks in comparison to MCE. So as long as Sage doesn't release Studio, I have to use MCE 2k5 instead of SageTV for those PCs.
Xbox extender support is another thing I would like to try make happen.