SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:33 AM
roxy99 roxy99 is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 516
SageTV light years ahead of BeyondTV

Having tried the demo on both versions, I can't believe BeyondTV is asking about the same price for such a clearly inferior product. The Menu options in BeyondTV are so rudimentary its unbelievable. I keep thinking am I missing something with BeyondTV is there another option to enable the other menus?

Where are all the recording preferences and favorites etc..The only menu that appears in BeyondTV is a main menu with 6 choices. It looks like SageTV is the winner by a mile.

I am interested in hearing from you on your feedback. Who do you think offers the best product?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2006, 10:40 AM
DIBU's Avatar
DIBU DIBU is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Germany / Hessen / RheinMain
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
Having tried the demo on both versions, I can't believe BeyondTV is asking about the same price for such a clearly inferior product. The Menu options in BeyondTV are so rudimentary its unbelievable. I keep thinking am I missing something with BeyondTV is there another option to enable the other menus?

Where are all the recording preferences and favorites etc..The only menu that appears in BeyondTV is a main menu with 6 choices. It looks like SageTV is the winner by a mile.

I am interested in hearing from you on your feedback. Who do you think offers the best product?
i come from BeyondTV (yes i have a licence for BTV). sagetv is the better product (for me native hauppauge mvp and ir!!)
__________________
Sage V7x:
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2006, 12:40 PM
rp1790 rp1790 is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 42
I also bought BeyondTV and now use Sage. To be fair, I think the main configuration of BeyoneTV is via the web interface...once you find it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2006, 01:02 PM
kpsmith kpsmith is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 65
Own both... I use SageTV

Actually I think Beyond TV is good and its big downfall to me was lack of custimization. Where as with sage there are a lot of addon and you coudl always build somethign in studio.

On the flip side I think Sage TV is harder to get setup so if I wasn't a power user i might be using BTV.... or not
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2006, 12:20 AM
klunde's Avatar
klunde klunde is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39
Send a message via ICQ to klunde Send a message via AIM to klunde Send a message via MSN to klunde Send a message via Yahoo to klunde
I'm also considering both, but from where I am now I will probably go for BeyondTV and not SageTV. mainly because I need one special feature and that is to run a batch file against the files after recording. This can easilly be done in BeyondTV, but SageTV seems to be unable to handle such a task.

To those of you who has been using both, what about some comparisons regarding recording quality?

(You should know that I'm only looking for a recorder, not a playback solution)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2006, 04:58 AM
blade blade is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunde
I'm also considering both, but from where I am now I will probably go for BeyondTV and not SageTV. mainly because I need one special feature and that is to run a batch file against the files after recording. This can easilly be done in BeyondTV, but SageTV seems to be unable to handle such a task.
Have you looked at Dirmon2? I don't know exactly what you want to do, but it will scan the directories you specifiy and launch programs for you depending upon what triggers you setup.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2006, 08:34 AM
roxy99 roxy99 is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp1790
I also bought BeyondTV and now use Sage. To be fair, I think the main configuration of BeyoneTV is via the web interface...once you find it!

Where is that web interface?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-30-2006, 10:40 AM
rp1790 rp1790 is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
Where is that web interface?
From memory there's an icon on the task bar and if you right click on that the options there.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2006, 10:57 AM
mlbdude's Avatar
mlbdude mlbdude is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 4,174
BTV is not too bad and does not some niche features. However, you have to be willing to give up some regular PVR functionality. Little things begin to nag you like lack of full timeshifting (only in one screen), no preview or video background, ugly menus (but I think laid out better), poor support for anything but TV (even having ffdshow installed causes problems with it).

I guess it comes down to them being in constant catchup to Sage and MCE. I would like to see them come out with some unique new technology rather than just copying the other two with every release.
__________________
Check out SageMC16x9 - Where form is function .

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2006, 01:20 PM
tmiranda's Avatar
tmiranda tmiranda is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 5,851
I have three licesnses for both and have settled on Sage. Funny how one man's weakness is anothers strength and vice versa. I for one like the fact that BTV is easy and has many less customizations. Sure, customizations are nice but they add complexity. My main reason for Sage? MediaMVP support and intelligent recording. If BTV had those features I would use BTV instead.

Both are excellent products but each will appeal to a different audience. Sage will almost certainly be more appealing to techies and people who generally like to tweak things. BTV will be more appealing to those who do not want to (or can't) fool around with customizations.

Rather than focus on weaknesses, here's what I see as strengths of each product. This is subjective and certainly not complete.

BTV strengths:
- Easier to navigate, many less options to fiddle with.
- Easy to create custom recording qualities.
- Build in support for smart skipping and compression to DivX/WMV.
- Strong forum support.

Sage strengths:
- Highly customizable.
- MediaMVP support.
- Intelligent recording.
- Preview window on many menus.
- Strong forum support.

Anyway, now that I've come to grips with Sage I like it a lot and am impressed with it's functionality and reliability. YMMV.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-30-2006, 01:39 PM
mlbdude's Avatar
mlbdude mlbdude is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
Strong forum support.
Oh yeah! This is a really important thing. The BTV forums are realy bad. Not only does it contain LOTS of bad and innacurate information, but they are actively censored. This was the reason I dropped their software completely.
__________________
Check out SageMC16x9 - Where form is function .

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-30-2006, 02:35 PM
aperry's Avatar
aperry aperry is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 680
I am a big fan of SageTV (I actually own BTV and Meedio, including Meedio TV as well).

Anyhow, one thing that BTV offers that I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wish would be offered on SageTV is remote setup of recordings. From BTV's features page:
Quote:
Forget to record your favorite show? Don't sweat it. Schedule recordings from the Internet or a web-ready or WAP-enabled phone with SnapStream.net's Remote Recordings feature. Simply log onto SnapStream.net, locate the shows you want to record, and add them to your scheduled recordings...from anywhere. You can even check to make sure that your new shows have been added to your current lineup.
Even without that, I still have to give the edge to SageTV, at least for PVR'ing.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
gplasky's Avatar
gplasky gplasky is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 9,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
I am a big fan of SageTV (I actually own BTV and Meedio, including Meedio TV as well).

Anyhow, one thing that BTV offers that I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wish would be offered on SageTV is remote setup of recordings. From BTV's features page:

Even without that, I still have to give the edge to SageTV, at least for PVR'ing.
Get nielm's webserver and then you'll have your remote scheduling too.

Gerry
__________________
Big Gerr
_______
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-30-2006, 06:32 PM
tmiranda's Avatar
tmiranda tmiranda is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 5,851
I forgot a few things:

Yes, I like remote recording in BTV but I like nielm's webserver A LOT better than anything BTV offers. I've seen the work of a lot of talented programmers and nielm ranks high on the list.

Another major strength of Sage - it really supports multiple drives for recording. Using multiple drives on BTV is a hassle.

I also dislike BTV forums being censored (thanks for the reminder mlbdude), this thread would have been deleted 3 nanoseconds after it was started.

I said I would not focus on weaknesses but I have to say the wiz.bin "single point of failure" is a weakness of Sage. BTV stores all the program data at the end of the .MPG so you don't lose all data if a single file gets corrupted.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-30-2006, 06:37 PM
lotusvball's Avatar
lotusvball lotusvball is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
Oh yeah! This is a really important thing. The BTV forums are realy bad. Not only does it contain LOTS of bad and innacurate information, but they are actively censored. This was the reason I dropped their software completely.

I once posted a post on their forum about the fact that their continual sensorship was causing me to look elsewhere (why I ended up at Sage) and guess what they sensored the post!
__________________
Intel Core Duo 2.5mhz, 2gb RAM
Windows Home Server, Sage 7 beta
2 Hauppauge PVR-250, 1 PVR-500 MCE
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-30-2006, 06:49 PM
dflachbart dflachbart is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
I said I would not focus on weaknesses but I have to say the wiz.bin "single point of failure" is a weakness of Sage. BTV stores all the program data at the end of the .MPG so you don't lose all data if a single file gets corrupted.
I don't think the real problem is to have a single database, but not being able to access and manipulate it easily. I really like the way Meedio stores its data in a SQL database, having something similar in Sage would be a dream ...

Dirk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
SprDtyF350 SprDtyF350 is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
Where is that web interface?
Use http://localhost:8129 to get to it. Once there you can tell it to also showup in the icon down in the right hand corner.

I have both, but use Sage. Both have unique features, Sage just has the ones I have more of a use for.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-31-2006, 12:12 PM
DFA DFA is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 638
Since this is a Sage forum rife with Sage devotees, not likely to get much desention here.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that Sage is winning the PVR wars. Before I knew anything about BTV and Sage I tried trials of both. BTV lasted about 60 minutes. I had a dislike at the fundamental level with IIS, SQL, and .NET as the building blocks. I have personal preference for Java and Apache over the alternatives. Besides that, that particular version of BTV was crashing at every other turn so decided not to waste any more time with it.

It is a credit to Andy (Opus4) for not running this forum with an iron fist. He has never censored anything to my knowledge just for being critical or stupid false claims being made of Sage. A great product needs no spin control and members can be trusted to always right the wrongs when they appear.

Thanks Andy.

DFA
__________________
Wrong information is worse than no information
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-31-2006, 12:34 PM
lotusvball's Avatar
lotusvball lotusvball is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA
Since this is a Sage forum rife with Sage devotees, not likely to get much desention here.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that Sage is winning the PVR wars. Before I knew anything about BTV and Sage I tried trials of both. BTV lasted about 60 minutes. I had a dislike at the fundamental level with IIS, SQL, and .NET as the building blocks. I have personal preference for Java and Apache over the alternatives. Besides that, that particular version of BTV was crashing at every other turn so decided not to waste any more time with it.

It is a credit to Andy (Opus4) for not running this forum with an iron fist. He has never censored anything to my knowledge just for being critical or stupid false claims being made of Sage. A great product needs no spin control and members can be trusted to always right the wrongs when they appear.

Thanks Andy.

DFA

Nicely said.
__________________
Intel Core Duo 2.5mhz, 2gb RAM
Windows Home Server, Sage 7 beta
2 Hauppauge PVR-250, 1 PVR-500 MCE
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-31-2006, 02:15 PM
roxy99 roxy99 is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 516
I second that
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.