SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Sage User

HD-PVR on HP EX470 Headless WHS

I have the following setup that I am having trouble getting installed:
  • HP EX-470 WHS - headless - no monitor, keyboard or mouse
  • HD-PVR
  • Sage Software

After reading other forums, it appears the problem of installing an HD-PVR on the HP EX-470 is this hardware is headless. The typical remote desktop into the EX-470 does not work with the software and drivers supplied with the HD-PVR. Two solutions appear to be hardware or software ideas.

Hardware - buy a cable ($100+) to modify the EX-470 to supply mouse, keyboard and monitor setup, then install HD-PVR software directly to the machine.

Software - since remote desktop does not work, use a VNC program to access the EX-470. Then install the HD-PVR software and drivers.

Does anyone have any links or ideas to specifically solve my problem? I can not be the first HP EX-470 customer to add SageTV and HD-PVR to their WHS setup??? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 PM
SageTVaholic

I installed an HD PVR on my headless Server 2003 system with no real trouble. You don't need anything but the drivers installed. Don't even bother with the Arcsoft software.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I installed an HD PVR on my headless Server 2003 system with no real trouble. You don't need anything but the drivers installed. Don't even bother with the Arcsoft software.
Thanks for the info. Actually I plugged the USB cable of the HD-PVR into the EX-470 and somehow got the drivers to install at first purchase. SageTV software recognized the HD-PVR as the video recording device for a while. Now I have an error message and in the SageTV software the HD-PVR is not recognized as the video recording device. It was recognized the HD-PVR for about a week, now it does not.

When SageTV software recognized the HD-PVR, the next issue I was working on and wanted the Arcsoft software for was to change the channels with the IR blaster for a Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC set top box on Time Warner Cable. Any additional thoughts?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade67 View Post
to change the channels with the IR blaster for a Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC set top box on Time Warner Cable. Any additional thoughts?
Did you install all the IR blaster software from the HD-PVR install CD? If so, then you want to run BlastCfg.exe -- if your set top box is at all popular / in wide use, the make/model will show up. If not, there are instructions that came with the HD-PVR on how to search for a working IR blaster code.

Once all that is working, the WinTV IR is running in the background (shows up in my system tray as "WinTV Remote Controller").

I've seen plenty of reports about this IR blaster eventually not working but so far so good for me, with about two weeks of low use. This week should be telling as I've definitely ramped up the number of recordings per day.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
Did you install all the IR blaster software from the HD-PVR install CD? If so, then you want to run BlastCfg.exe -- if your set top box is at all popular / in wide use, the make/model will show up. If not, there are instructions that came with the HD-PVR on how to search for a working IR blaster code.

Once all that is working, the WinTV IR is running in the background (shows up in my system tray as "WinTV Remote Controller").

I've seen plenty of reports about this IR blaster eventually not working but so far so good for me, with about two weeks of low use. This week should be telling as I've definitely ramped up the number of recordings per day.
Yes, somehow it appears I got the IR blaster software installed on the HP EX-470 WHS thru remote desktop (which many said can't be done??). Which now leads to the question of when I am using a SageTV HD-200 with SageTV remote control on a bedroom TV, is the HD-200 sending the IR commands to the set top box or is the HD-PVR sending the IR commands to the set top box?

I get a picture on the bedroom TV from the set top box via the HD-PVR, but can not change the channels on the set top box using the SageTV remote, thru the SageTV software. Any ideas? And thanks for the help!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Sage User

So I am still working on solving the question of which device controls the IR channel changing. I am running Sage software on the WHS. I have an STP HD200 from Sage and a HD-PVR from Hauppage (with an IR blaster built in). I have set up the HD-PVR IR blaster codes and can change channels in the setup process from a computer.

However, I can not change channels using the remote supplied with the HD200. Which makes me think the HD-200 needs an IR blaster or a cable to connect it to the HD-PVR??? Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Sage Icon

The remote that came with the HD-200 should control any SageTV function. There is no extra wires that you need. The H-200 commicates via the network with the SageTV Server.

That being said, you have to be running the HD-200 in regular mode and not stand alone mode.

Also, according to SageTV support, the SageTV software needs to be installed AFTER installing and configuring the Hauppauge IR software. I suspect you already had the SageTCV software installed on the WHS before you attempted to install the Hauppauge software. If this is the case, then uninstall the SageTV software and immediately reinstall it. Don't worry, you won't loose any of your settings or recordings (as long as you don't physically delete the SageTV program folder).
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Sage Expert

sic0048 - love the sig....that's a pretty slow P4 you've got . I think you meant GHz.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
The remote that came with the HD-200 should control any SageTV function. There is no extra wires that you need. The H-200 commicates via the network with the SageTV Server.

That being said, you have to be running the HD-200 in regular mode and not stand alone mode.

Also, according to SageTV support, the SageTV software needs to be installed AFTER installing and configuring the Hauppauge IR software. I suspect you already had the SageTCV software installed on the WHS before you attempted to install the Hauppauge software. If this is the case, then uninstall the SageTV software and immediately reinstall it. Don't worry, you won't loose any of your settings or recordings (as long as you don't physically delete the SageTV program folder).

Yes Sic, you are correct. The SageTV software was installed on the WHS first, before I installed the Hauppauge software. The HD200 is running in regular mode. One thing I left out was the IR blaster is trying to change channels on a Scientific Atlanta set top box. Does that change any of your ideas?

If its still a go, I will change remove the SageTV software from the WHS and reinstall, then see if I can change channels on the set top box thru the HD-DVR IR blaster, via the SageTV remote/HD200. Thanks!!

Tags
hd-pvr, hp ex-470, whs