SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Drive no longer recorgnized after replacement

I have a hardware problem that I can't quite figure out. I have an Asus P5QL-CM motherboard that supports 6 SATA drives. I've got two drives setup as recording drives for Sage and the other 4 setup as video import drives (ripped movies mostly). All of the drives were Seagate 1.5TB drives. The boot drive is a 500 GB PATA drive.

I started having strange errors in Sage that turned out to be caused by BOTH recording drives getting CRC errors. I copied all of the data off the first drive to a Hitachi 2 GB drive, replaced it and Sage got happier When I tried the same thing on the second drive the excrement hit the fan.

I copied all of the data to a WD 2 TB green drive but when I replaced it the BIOS failed to recognize the WD drive AND it failed to recognize one of the existing Seagate drives. I pulled the WD and put the old Seagate drive back in and it wasn't recognized and the other Seagate was not recognized either. I disconnected the 4 Seagate drives used for video imports, rebooted and then the old Seagate drive was recognized.

I then reconnected the other 4 Seagate drives and the one drive was still not recognized (but the old Seagate drive was.)

What are some possible explanations of this? Could the new WD drive have somehow fried my motherboard? I think the drive is good because I had no problem putting it in an external USB enclosure and copying data to it.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

It could have been M/B issues all along. Have you run a drive test on the drives that you suspected were going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I have a hardware problem that I can't quite figure out. I have an Asus P5QL-CM motherboard that supports 6 SATA drives. I've got two drives setup as recording drives for Sage and the other 4 setup as video import drives (ripped movies mostly). All of the drives were Seagate 1.5TB drives. The boot drive is a 500 GB PATA drive.

I started having strange errors in Sage that turned out to be caused by BOTH recording drives getting CRC errors. I copied all of the data off the first drive to a Hitachi 2 GB drive, replaced it and Sage got happier When I tried the same thing on the second drive the excrement hit the fan.

I copied all of the data to a WD 2 TB green drive but when I replaced it the BIOS failed to recognize the WD drive AND it failed to recognize one of the existing Seagate drives. I pulled the WD and put the old Seagate drive back in and it wasn't recognized and the other Seagate was not recognized either. I disconnected the 4 Seagate drives used for video imports, rebooted and then the old Seagate drive was recognized.

I then reconnected the other 4 Seagate drives and the one drive was still not recognized (but the old Seagate drive was.)

What are some possible explanations of this? Could the new WD drive have somehow fried my motherboard? I think the drive is good because I had no problem putting it in an external USB enclosure and copying data to it.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_h View Post
It could have been M/B issues all along. Have you run a drive test on the drives that you suspected were going bad?
Yes. I ran the latest SeaTools and it showed those two drives bad, all other drives good. I switched the bad drives to different SATA ports and re-ran SeaTools to make sure it wasn't the cable or the port.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

After spending several hours on this I did get all of the drives to work, but I don't understand why and that does not make me happy. I noticed that the drives were various drives were recognized or not recognized somewhat randomly depending on which drives were plugged into which port. I fiddled around until I found a combination that recognized all drives. I'm not satisfied with this "solution" at all. Any thoughts or things to try would be appreciated.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage Icon

Do you have the latest BIOS for the mother board?
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Was the new WD drive advanced format and does that MB support them?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 AM
SageTVaholic

The drive is advanced format (WD20EARS) and I am 99% certain the board supports them. It's NOT the latest BIOS. I downloaded the latest but will only update to that as a last resort.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The drive is advanced format (WD20EARS) and I am 99% certain the board supports them. It's NOT the latest BIOS. I downloaded the latest but will only update to that as a last resort.
Only reason I ask, is when I first installed a 1TB drive, I had almost the smae problems. BIOS flash fixed them.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
SageTVaholic

BIOS flash is in the cards for sure. I think it's a strange timing issue because if I connect either of the 2 TB drives to SATA1 or SATA2 they are not detected reliably and it causes other drives to not be detected. If I connect them to SATA3, 4, 5, or 6 they work.

So I'll leave them connected to SATA3 and SATA4 for a while and see if it continues to work.