SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Why are we in beta hell here?

You know -- I have a fairly complex installation -- with ~ 7 clients, and a fairly large server. It was stable for more than a year on sage 2.x. I did not play in the version 3 beta. I decided I did not want to use a 'production' setup -- if you will -- for beta testing. So I waited for the official release. Sucker. Now I occasionally miss airings because of spinning sage icons, have had to reload sage server FAR more than I have ever had to in the past, and am waiting for the next beta release to see if it improves HD playback and other bugs. WAF quotient is raising by the day. With every new beta release -- I have to run around the house like some wacko helpdesk engineer upgrading clients.... sort of upsetting...
Old 02-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

I feel your pain. I'm a new user, only a month in. I've got 2 clients, one is my tv and the other my pc. And I have been struggling for a month to get ANYthing stable. Its a very frustrating experience. One that honestly has me thinking about selling all my licenses to the highest bidder. I spent over $850 just setting up this system and a $49 tivo would have given me better support. Heck, for that price I could have gotten two with lifetime susbscripitions.

This is not what I signed up for.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:01 PM

Why not just run the last release version? I have had 4.13 running for a few months without any issues.

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
Why not just run the last release version? I have had 4.13 running for a few months without any issues.

I'm running the latest clients for my windows clients and my linux server.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekard
I'm running the latest clients for my windows clients and my linux server.
Well then why not run the beta and try and help them debug the issues with your setup?

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
Well then why not run the beta and try and help them debug the issues with your setup?
I DID NOT sign up to be a beta tester. I am a paying customer and do not wish to help them finish the beta on a product they are SELLING. Thats the whole point of this thread, in my mind, a beta quality product is being sold.

Call it beta if thats where its at but don't sell it as a finished product.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica
You know -- I have a fairly complex installation -- with ~ 7 clients, and a fairly large server. It was stable for more than a year on sage 2.x. I did not play in the version 3 beta. I decided I did not want to use a 'production' setup -- if you will -- for beta testing. So I waited for the official release. Sucker. Now I occasionally miss airings because of spinning sage icons, have had to reload sage server FAR more than I have ever had to in the past, and am waiting for the next beta release to see if it improves HD playback and other bugs. WAF quotient is raising by the day. With every new beta release -- I have to run around the house like some wacko helpdesk engineer upgrading clients.... sort of upsetting...
Wierd to quote your own post -- but haven't been on the forum since I fired this little tidbit off a couple of days ago. I really did not mean to bash SageTV -- it is one of my hobbies and I really do like the company and the software. I actually dont think my original post comes off like I am bashing -- more just pointing out that I was opted in to the beta program because of some stability issues... meaning once I was up and running on 4.0 for a week or two -- regression was not an option. Did not mean to start some bash sage thread -- just point out that I (like I am sure MANY people on the forums) are now installing betas for stability other reasons when before we may have chosen not to. Caio.