SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Sage User

more question before i buy

Im seriously thinking of buying a SageTV HD Theater box. My intention is to use the box in stand alone. Mostly i want something that will play the thousand or so MP3's and also the DVD's i have on my home network. Im not interrested in having a SageTV server, as i dont want to record TV.

I download SageTV MC 6 to get a idea of what to expect from SageTV HD Theater. i really liked the user interface and the way one could make playlists etc. Would i get all these features just using SageTV HD Theater stand alone?

Also can one view youtube videos, internet radio, online vide etc with SageTV HD theater stand alone?????

Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsab67 View Post
Im seriously thinking of buying a SageTV HD Theater box. My intention is to use the box in stand alone. Mostly i want something that will play the thousand or so MP3's and also the DVD's i have on my home network. Im not interrested in having a SageTV server, as i dont want to record TV.

I download SageTV MC 6 to get a idea of what to expect from SageTV HD Theater. i really liked the user interface and the way one could make playlists etc. Would i get all these features just using SageTV HD Theater stand alone?
You might be able to, but to my knowledge nobody has tried, and there's a decent chance that not all of the SageMC functionality will work in standalone mode. (This applies to the SageMC custom interface for SageTV Media Center)

Well, hold that thought, you're talking SageTV Media Center 6? Standalone mode is pretty similar, but lacks the TV features and the main menu is layed out differently. Video/Photo/Music browsing is very similar.

Quote:
Also can one view youtube videos, internet radio, online vide etc with SageTV HD theater stand alone?????
Yup, plus apparently if you install PlayOn on your PC you can view Hulu and Netflix as well (I'm not 100% sure how well that's working).