SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Switching between cable and OTA

I have an A/B switch that switches between a Leaf antenna and WOW cable. Often, like today, WOW's service is loaded with dropouts and pixellation. On days like today, I switch to antenna. However, any scheduled recordings fail because they are trying to record channels that now have no signal. I would like to have a separate lineup on the same tuner (which now has a different tuner). When I do this I lose the cable lineup that takes over an hour to set up. Is there any way to have two switchable lineups for the same physical tuner? Maybe by creating a duplicate tuner in the software linked to the same physical device?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Sage Expert

Might want to see if the import/export channel lineup plugin is still available in the wild and give that a try. Should allow you to do pretty much exactly what you're wanting.

Although I'd probably just get another set of tuners and have plugged them into the OTA source full-time and give them a slightly higher merit. Leaving your other tuners free for recording other programs you can't get OTA.

Last edited by Monedeath; 04-18-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

That's a good suggestion, but I would have to rewire the house. I do have extra computer cards and might switch physical inputs, but a software solution is better. ( A decent cable company would be better yet!)

I tried saving and restoring the wiz.bin, didn't do it. I can easily go into setup sources and switch to antenna and reselect the lineup, but then everything is enabled which works, but I only watch about a third or cable and half of OTA. I shut off the religious channels, sports channels, shopping channels and foreign language channels. I could leave them but it makes the program guide messy.

Perhaps if I maintained two copies of sage.properties and switched them, maybe with a batch file. Or sage.properties and wiz.bin ?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Sage Expert

If the import/export plugin is still available, it will create(export) a file that details your channel lineup. Which you can later use to import back into SageTV at a later time of your chosing.

So in theory you set it up for your cable co, export your lineup, then set it up for your local broadcasting lineup, export that lineup as well(to a different file).

And then whenever you switch to one from the other, then you simply import that lineup back into SageTV through the plugin.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASegredo View Post
That's a good suggestion, but I would have to rewire the house.
Not necessarily, HDHRs don't need to be near the PC, they can be anywhere you have a network connection, so you could put an HDHR near the switch you have.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:52 AM
Sage Icon

Is this signal issue with your Cable Company a system wide issue, or only in specific areas or just your house?

The reason I ask is that several years ago I had an issue with lots of pixelation, channels that wouldn't tune, etc. At that time they found my cable from the pole to my house was bad. I happened to be home and when the guy cut the cable at the pole and let it drop water poured out of the wire. They hadn't put a sufficient drip loop in the pole end of the wire to my house to keep water from running back into the cable.

Even without that issue I will still get similar problems, although not as severe, at least twice a year. Every time they send out a tech to find out what is wrong with "my" connection. Each time they do test at the house, find problems and then go back to the pole and find the same issues on the line coming in. They then have to send out a different service person/truck to adjust the amplifier for the local "node" (i.e. neighborhood) to adjust one or more bands of the amp for either over or under amplifying that band.

It is usually a seasonal thing that crops up when the weather starts getting cold in the fall, or warm in the spring which apparently throws the amp out of whack.

If you haven't already, it might be worth having the cable company come check it out.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Waynedunham, probably a similar problem. Everything is buried here and problems seem to come after a rain. Other people tell me the head end is very old. Last week, they came and replaced the pedestal which was cracked and broken, but it didn't help. Last year they replaced the buried cable from the pedestal to the house. They always want to say something is wrong in the house but the antenna feeds through the same amplifier & cabling and the antenna picture is excellent.

I used to have a HD Homerun but it was so poor that I gave it away. I'm using Haupphauge HVR-1600 (PCI) and (I forget what number 1250?) PCIe.
I used to have both the PCIe card and an HVR-1600 in the Win 7 computer but it kept bluescreening until I removed the 1600. The 1600 works fine on XP and Linux. Must be a driver problem in win 7.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 AM
Sage Icon

Wow, that bites. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all, I'd be constantly complaining AND demanding cash off on the bill for any/all downtime you experience. Get your neighbors to do that same. Once it starts costing them significant $$$ and lots of complaints they might just FIX the problem.
It probably wouldn't hurt to file a complaint with whatever local agency regulates them as well. Actually that might be the most effective course. If you and your neighbors lodge complaints with the regulating agency then the regulator can add WAY more pressure on the Cable Company to fix the problem than individual complaints from customers.

I am surprised you called your HDHR "poor". They have been one of the best, most reliable parts of my SageTV setup.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I am surprised you called your HDHR "poor". They have been one of the best, most reliable parts of my SageTV setup.
I had high hopes from all the praise that I read, but it kept losing communication and I had to continually go to the basement to power cycle it.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

It looks like sage.properties stores the channels and whether they are activated. I've copied both sets to sage.properties.cable and sage.properties.antenna. Also successfully copied them back and forth by hand.

Now all I have to do is write a batch file to switch them by a click. I could easily do this with a bash script on Linux, but I have to learn Windows batch language which I've heard is not as versatile as Linux scripting languages.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Didn't work. Perhaps if I switch both sage.properties and wiz.bin
Old 04-28-2017, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASegredo View Post
Didn't work.
Did you shut down Sage before you switch them?

Quote:
Perhaps if I switch both sage.properties and wiz.bin
If you "switch" your wiz.bin you'll lose any history (Watched status, favorites, manual recordings, etc) since the last time you copied it.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I did shut it down. Had to do it manually, I couldn't figure out how to do it automatically in Windows.

I realize that about the Wiz.bin

The best solution may be to buy another card and switch the inputs.

Best of all would be to have a reliable cable company!