SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2017, 04:36 AM
Sage Icon

File Recovery Software

Once or twice every couple years, I encounter a friend or family member, or myself, that has a hard drive failure, or a failure of some other media type. About 5 years ago, I paid for a full use license of "Recover My Files" software.

4am this morning, I'm using this software on the same machine I installed it on after purchasing, it has just completed a 6 hour scan, and I'm in emergency mode - with critical files found and ready to be recovered. The software kicks me to an activation screen before actually letting me pull files from this failed hard drive (files that have in fact been deep scanned for, and found).

The activation fails, as it has done each and every time I have used this software after purchasing (maybe 3 to 4 times). I have always had to call the company to get them to re-activate it, and they have been reluctant to do so each time - telling me that I should pay to upgrade. I'm using the software in its original downloaded state on a Windows 7 system with the failed NTFS hard drive plugged into this system, and there is no reason to upgrade, and when I purchased the software there was no indication of a limitation of use.

Although it's a great piece of software for scanning and file recovery, the activation falls down each and every time. Does anyone have a recommendation for a solid piece of data recovery software that just works, for a paid, licensed, user? I'm happy to pay, as long as it's reliable and doesn't continually leave me stranded like this.