SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Sage Icon

WOW! Auto Login

Quote:
# Added support for Detailed Setup -> Server -> Allow Placeshifter clients to automatically login.
IT WORKS!!!! Three years since placeshifters debut, we now get auto login.

This is genius!

Quote:
# Added persistent option "Play slideshow in random order" to the photo browser's dialog shown when starting a slideshow.

# Consolidated all the Screen Saver options into a single dialog in Detailed Setup -> General, and added a new option "Random Screen Saver Slideshow Order", which toggles between yes & no; default: yes.
If we pray harder, we can get ability to SPECIFY a screensaver folder. Nah, now I'm pushing it.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Placeshifter auto login is cool. What I'm holding my breath for is an MVP screensaver option of "video off". This would save me so much money in electric bills, and of course the dreaded carbon footprint!

So many hours every day of that TV just displaying a bouncing SageTV logo. I can't get the family to turn off the TV when they walk away, or fall asleep. If video turns off, the TV times out, and shuts off too. Works great if the MVP is powered down.
Intel Skulltrail D5400XS, Dual Quad Core Xeon L5420, Windows Server 2012 R2 on 200Gb partition, 32Gb RAM, 8x WD 2Tb RE4 RAID6 on LSI 9690SA-8I (DVD/Blu-Ray), 2x 4Tb HDDs (TV), Colossus, 2x HD-PVR, HDHR3 Prime, DirectTV STB, USB-UIRT, Sage v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7.1.9, Java v1.6 build 45, 3 Placeshifter licenses, and 3 HD-300's.
Plugins: Phoenix API, PlayOn For SageTV, Comskip Playback, YouTube, Nielm's Sage Utiities
Software: PlayOn, ComSkip Monitor, ComSkip
Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhurst View Post
Placeshifter auto login is cool. What I'm holding my breath for is an MVP screensaver option of "video off". This would save me so much money in electric bills, and of course the dreaded carbon footprint!

So many hours every day of that TV just displaying a bouncing SageTV logo. I can't get the family to turn off the TV when they walk away, or fall asleep. If video turns off, the TV times out, and shuts off too. Works great if the MVP is powered down.
I thought someone wrote a script which if the extender (mvp / HD100/ or such) is left on, it sends a command to turn off at a certain time or time on. I need to look for this plugin. Don't remember the name now.

Edit:

Here is one only for the extenders (not MVP): http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=251
This might work for the extender but not sure + it has a timer function: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=72
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!

Last edited by QueOnda; 04-28-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I can't get the family to turn off the TV when they walk away,...

You Americans...

Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks QueOnda,

Quote:
I thought someone wrote a script which if the extender (mvp / HD100/ or such) is left on, it sends a command to turn off at a certain time or time on. I need to look for this plugin. Don't remember the name now.
I've tried flachbar's AutoSleep plugin <http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=196>, but it doesn't show up in my SageMC extras menu. I have my doubts that it'll do what I need anyway, because simply putting an MVP to sleep is just putting it to screensaver mode. Again the bouncing SageTV logo. I'll have to drop him a note for some tips.

I also found a way to kill a process on the MVP via a telnet session <http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25173>, which does the trick, but haven't yet worked out how to automate the process as a screensaver function.
Intel Skulltrail D5400XS, Dual Quad Core Xeon L5420, Windows Server 2012 R2 on 200Gb partition, 32Gb RAM, 8x WD 2Tb RE4 RAID6 on LSI 9690SA-8I (DVD/Blu-Ray), 2x 4Tb HDDs (TV), Colossus, 2x HD-PVR, HDHR3 Prime, DirectTV STB, USB-UIRT, Sage v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7.1.9, Java v1.6 build 45, 3 Placeshifter licenses, and 3 HD-300's.
Plugins: Phoenix API, PlayOn For SageTV, Comskip Playback, YouTube, Nielm's Sage Utiities
Software: PlayOn, ComSkip Monitor, ComSkip
Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have my doubts that it'll do what I need anyway, because simply putting an MVP to sleep is just putting it to screensaver mode. Again the bouncing SageTV logo. I'll have to drop him a note for some tips.
Go into Detailed Setup-General and Disable Screensaver on Sleep. Then when you sleep it will just go to sleep and NOT show the screensaver.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

It's nice to see Sage adding automatic login. It was never a particularly big issue for me, but I always thought it was very odd that it wasn't around to begin with.

I think it's interesting that the HD100 won't be getting this feature. Does anyone know why? I assume it is because the HD100 (apparently) doesn't have any non-volatile memory to save the login credentials to while the HD200 (apparently) does. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Couldn't we just stick a tag on the server side that states that certain Placeshifter ID's are trusted and don't require a login? then whoever runs the server can just add additional ID's to the list. I think the ID's are the PC/Extenders MAC address?

Wouldn't that solve the HD100 issue?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madas View Post
Couldn't we just stick a tag on the server side that states that certain Placeshifter ID's are trusted and don't require a login? then whoever runs the server can just add additional ID's to the list. I think the ID's are the PC/Extenders MAC address?
You want to authenticate with non-secret information? That's like using MAC address filtering as a replacement for WPA on wireless networks. It seems like a really bad idea from a security perspective.

I'm still curious why the HD100 can't support this feature. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is the placeshifter username/pass sent encrypted in the first place?

Anyone with access to your TV, or a placeshifter already connected, has the ability to add/remove/change usernames on the system.

Lets be fair here, its not very secure anyway.

I run HD extenders over a VPN, it'd be great to have these auto-login

If there was no non-volatile memory then you wouldn't have able to hard-code server names into the HD100 either?

Last edited by madas; 04-30-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by marneb17 View Post

You Americans...

You Germans....

"Ve haff ways of making you conserve power!"

Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madas View Post
Is the placeshifter username/pass sent encrypted in the first place?
You know, I've always wanted to start up wireshark and try to see what Sage does in the initial handshake and for authentication, but I've never gotten around to it. The handshake used when you're on the same network is different than the one that's used if you're off of it, so I'd have to test it away from home (or rig something up just for test purposes). So, I haven't gotten around to it.

As for your authentication question, I'd hope that Sage does something more advanced than simply sending the user name and password in the clear to the server. The login credentials wouldn't necessarily need to be encrypted per se, although there probably isn't a good reason not to use SSL/TLS. A really simple, half-way decent password protocol would just be to have the placeshifter send the username, the server respond with a random number challenge, and have the placeshifter send HASH(challenge || password). Then the server, which also knows challenge and password just calculates that value itself, and compares it to what the placeshifter sent.

That's basically the trivial challenge-response protocol. It works OK, and there's various little things you can do to make it a bit better, but that's gives you the general idea.

Quote:
Lets be fair here, its not very secure anyway.
Yeah, I'm guessing that's true. I'm a little concerned that security might be a big problem, as good programmers are rarely good at secure programming (and are almost never good at cryptography, even after reading books).

Quote:
If there was no non-volatile memory then you wouldn't have able to hard-code server names into the HD100 either?
I've never tried to use the placeshifter functionality on the HD100. Can you do that? There seems to be very little information that is saved on the HD100 from boot-up to boot-up (only video/audio output settings, as far as I know). So, that's why I've just been thinking the HD100 might not have anywhere to save login credentials.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I've just been thinking the HD100 might not have anywhere to save login credentials.
Again, I wish I could put a thumbdrive into one of those perty little USB ports! If the thing doesn't have persistent memory, it isn't too expensive to add some in this way!