SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Sage User

Saget TV and Insight Cable Video On Demand

Ok so i made the switch to Insight and I see they have all this video on demand content. Any chance someone wrote an add in for Sage that can facilitate this?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Sage Expert

Assuming you are using Sage to tune the STB from Insight (via usb-uirt, serial, ethernet, firewire, whatever), you can always tune a channel with on demand content, and then record it. . .

If your STB has 2 sets of video output (as in can output 2 signals at once, like on DirecTV STBs), then you can have one piped directly to the TV, and one to your Tuner card / HD-PVR. Then if you need to you can use the insight remote on your tv to begin / pause playback, and then switch inputs, going back to sage and start recording.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Sage User

still trying to figure out their on demand. They have some channels that say on demand, but they also have a big "on demand" button on the remote that brings you to a menu. Not sure the firewire controls i have are able to do the up, down, left, right that is would take to navigate the menus.

unfortunately, i have my sage server and stb's all in the basement, so it would take some serious logistics to get the dual output method working.

I guess the reall issue is the channel control. You'd have to send the "on demand" button signal to the STB and then up/down/left/right signals as well. Probably tough since the sage remotes dont have an on demand button, but dont they have some "programmable" buttons? Hmmmm?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Thumbs up

I've never heard of Insite. Please dont get your hopes up.. since this may not be something you can do. But, if they have cableboxes that are like Comcast.... Motorola DCT/DCP-series based cableboxes (R5000-compatible), you may have a chance. It's far from buying a $3.95 firewire cable on Ebay and a free sageTV plugin.

I have a feeling I might be the only person here who has a full turn-key/seemless sageTV solution for recording bit-perfect quality Comcast On Demand content such as HowardTV HD, PPV, etc using my sageTV modified MCE Remote control.. no video/audio quality-loss using component capture analog re-encoding tuners. You can forget firewire, since its almost a sure bet it's 5c protected (you can't record On Demand for sure). If R5000 is not an option, you may still be able to do this; but, you have no choice but to capture via analog output.

This is what I do (which may not work for you):
I press my custom "On Demand" button (formerly MCE green button); which turns on the "sub-display" to a Comcast On Demand screen; allowing me to use the sageTV remote control to navigate up, down, left, right, back, select/enter to play movies/shows... everything fully automated. I can record via sageTV's Program Guide.. no different than any other sageTV channel. BIG PLUS: If you're able to do this, you can also record all premium channels without restrictions; even on sageTV extenders.

Sounds too good to be true? Well here's the fine print:
1. Your cable box(s) need to be R5000 compatible (can't have a firewire port). See Nextcom Wireless website for details.
2. Costs $400 per cable box. Plus, $50 for the sageTV software addon.
3. Good knowledge of how Girder works; and, need a USB-UIRT.

If you're still interested and have questions, email me.

I just took this snapshot:

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 05-20-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm not sure you really need that r5000 modded cable box. I would think we could get this to work with your normal cable box and your capture device(hdpvr, colossus,etc..)

if insight is like comcast then there's and ondemand channel you can tune to, to get to the ondemand menus. That solves 1 problem of actually getting to ondemand. Now the next problem is navigating on demand. You need the directional movements, the select/enter, and there's usually some back or exit type button. This is where I think sage fails in being able to send these to the cable box. I would think it has to be possible if you are using ir blasting, sage just needs facilitate it. For FireWire control(which I use) I would think so too, but I'm not if the solution we all use can send anything except chAnnel changes.

Now the next problem(although it looks like it's prob not really an issue from the screen shot above) is I'm not sure how the epg data is for the ondemand channel (I currently have it removed) . Since sage is always recording when you tune a chAnnel. I think the ondemand channel is possibly listed out as one loong show that never ends. But I think you want to just concentrate on viewing ondemand for now.

Last edited by Gustovier; 05-21-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

My intention was to prove that it can definitely be done in a best of all worlds setup; with no compromise in video/audio recorded. Some people are very picky about losing video/audio quality unnecessarily; getting the original audio/video streams worth archiving.

Anyway, more importantly, I wanted to show that it can be done using Girder+USB-UIRT to control a cable box and use a custom remote control (with a custom On Demand button) on an existing setup for relatively cheap. Although, I depend on my the R5000s' builtin channel changing capability; there's no reason why it cant be done using the USB-UIRT to control channel changing as well (on top of menu navigation control). The good news is there are definitely more than one way to do it.

I think the rest will have to be up to jredwine2857 to put the pieces together; since the technologies he needs is already available; and mentioned here; which wouldnt take more than a few days to a week to do (depending on your schedule).

BTW, There's nothing more satisfying than creating something just as dependable and usable as canned; mass-market solution canned solution that you and your family use every day. Have fun jredwine2857!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustovier View Post
I'm not sure you really need that r5000 modded cable box. I would think we could get this to work with your normal cable box and your capture device(hdpvr, colossus,etc..)

if insight is like comcast then there's and ondemand channel you can tune to, to get to the ondemand menus. That solves 1 problem of actually getting to ondemand. Now the next problem is navigating on demand. You need the directional movements, the select/enter, and there's usually some back or exit type button. This is where I think sage fails in being able to send these to the cable box. I would think it has to be possible if you are using ir blasting, sage just needs facilitate it. For FireWire control(which I use) I would think so too, but I'm not if the solution we all use can send anything except chAnnel changes.

Now the next problem(although it looks like it's prob not really an issue from the screen shot above) is I'm not sure how the epg data is for the ondemand channel (I currently have it removed) . Since sage is always recording when you tune a chAnnel. I think the ondemand channel is possibly listed out as one loong show that never ends. But I think you want to just concentrate on viewing ondemand for now.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

I know it doesnt help the originating question posted, but Now that I think about it, for you comcast users if you have the xfinity app on iOS device(I think there is an android version). You should be able to just tune to the onDemand channel and then use the xfinity app to control the cable box to play what ya want. I'm about to try it now..

Update:

Ok that didn't really work out. You have to press a button on the comcast remote to do it. But like mkanet stated there are probably multiple techniques to solve this, just haven't thought about it enough, but getting onDemand back would be nice.

Update 2:

Had some configuration issues the 1st I tried this.. But yeah this should work. The only hurdle is to somehow send the "select/enter" command. Which has to be possible over both FireWire and ir blasting.

Last edited by Gustovier; 05-21-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Unfortunately online Xfinity content seems to be targeted towards portable devices. Maybe Insight has something similar; hopefully better. It doesnt look that great on a modern HDTV set in my opinion. I was presuming that jredwine2857 was trying to watch On Demand using sageTV in the same quality he watches currently on his cablebox. Maybe I understood him wrong. Well only he will know what suites him best. Heck, my brother watches TV on his 19" PC monitor... so, everyone's taste is different.

Quote:
I know it doesnt help the originating question posted, but Now that I think about it, for you comcast users if you have the xfinity app on iOS device(I think there is an android version). You should be able to just tune to the onDemand channel and then use the xfinity app to control the cable box to play what ya want. I'm about to try it now..

Update:

Ok that didn't really work out. You have to press a button on the comcast remote to do it. But like mkanet stated there are probably multiple techniques to solve this, just haven't thought about it enough, but getting onDemand back would be nice.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Unfortunately online Xfinity content seems to be targeted towards portable devices. Maybe Insight has something similar; hopefully better. It doesnt look that great on a modern HDTV set in my opinion. I was presuming that jredwine2857 was trying to watch On Demand using sageTV in the same quality he watches currently on his cablebox. Maybe I understood him wrong. Well only he will know what suites him best. Heck, my brother watches TV on his 19" PC monitor... so, everyone's taste is different.
I wasn't referring to the content that you can stream to portable devices, but rather that the app itself allows you to control the cable box. A lot of users have there cable boxes in some centralized location like jredwine so the issue is controlling it so he can play on demand content. But either way this "almost solution" isn't going to help him cause he doesn't have comcast.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

ohhhh..... thanks for explaining.... yeah, I think no matter what, the easiest way would be to use Girder + USB-UIRT; which can seamlessly work with sageTV if they also control sageTV that way. It works 100% dependable; as I've used this method for over 3 years on a regular basis. The online solution, if existed for Insight, would stilll not be so great because it wouldnt be guaranteed that what's online would match whats on the box; and, that's presuming there's no disruption in Internet access.

Honestly, On Demand support wasn't my primary objective originally. I just wanted premium cable channels that my QAM tuners couldnt do. Since I was a perfect candidate for R5000, I jumped on it.... after getting premium channels, I later realized by accident that I can also tune into the On Demand channel thats playing; and, all I needed was girder + USB-UIRT + Sub-monitor + X10 (to automatically turn on/off the sub-monitor when pressing "my" On Demand" button on sageTV remote).

jredwine2857 hasn't responded in a while, I hope we didn't scare him off. It's possible that the work involved to get a solid solution is too tedious.

Quote:
I wasn't referring to the content that you can stream to portable devices, but rather that the app itself allows you to control the cable box. A lot of users have there cable boxes in some centralized location like jredwine so the issue is controlling it so he can play on demand content. But either way this "almost solution" isn't going to help him cause he doesn't have comcast.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Update 2:

Had some configuration issues the 1st I tried this.. But yeah this should work. The only hurdle is to somehow send the "select/enter" command. Which has to be possible over both FireWire and ir blasting.
Has anyone solved this, and care to share? I have Comcast and can select On Demand content on my iOS devices. As stated, the trick is how do i pass a remote "ok" command to accept the change?

I'm using an extender, so I'm not sure (conceptually) how I could send a command via the sageTV remote (to GIRDER I guess).

I'd LOVE to get On Demand working again now that I re-subscribed to HBO...

Last edited by Tomahawk51; 08-09-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Check out LM Remote. It had a way of doing it. I'm not sure if that functioned on an extender but it might have.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

After doing some looking, I'm still confused. I'd very much like any direction if anyone can offer it.

I actually like the Comcast iPad app for on demand, and am still just looking to be able to send an "enter" command for my cable remote via my extender to my cable box which is currently connected by FireWire. I'd be ok looking at a USB uirt ( unless I can use the many hauppage ones I have).

Ln remote looks confusing, and I can't figure out the best approach to try.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Check out LM Remote. It had a way of doing it. I'm not sure if that functioned on an extender but it might have.

Gerry
LM Remote will allow fully automated STB control from inside Sage. You can use it to learn navigational STB buttons, then blast them utilizing a OSD.

There are a couple caveats to this:

1 - The recording starts from when you select you VOD channel
2 - There is a 1-4 second delayed response
3 - the recorded info will be wrong (will say VOD or whatever the guide shows for your VOD channel)
4 - recording time will be off and may even split the recording into multiple files/shows (again this depends on how your VOD channel is displayed in the guide)

I used this method for a couple weeks. It does get very annoying trying to navigate the STB (that and I didnt find the VOD content worth it - granted I have a very large media collection, 16+TB). The plus to this method, EVERY sage location (server / client / extender / placeshifter - Because as fas as sage is concerned, you are just watching channel 1 or 999 or whatever the VOD channel is) has VOD access and will be the same quality as your other STB recordings.

There are other pluses to this,
If your STB changes to the wrong channel or is turned off, you can use the OSD to directly manipulate the STB to correct any issue like that.

Last edited by loomdog32; 08-22-2011 at 09:42 AM.