SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

New direct tv customer

Hello all, I have been using basic cable on my sagetv system for over a year and just decided to get direct tv. It will be installed in a few days and want to get going on getting my system setup. Im looking for advice on what i need to do to get this working correctly with sagetv. i have been looking at the forums and found alot of info in different posts, im just having a hard time piecing it together to understand what i need.

So Im not sure exactly what tuner card I have now ( iwill check soon) but i know its analog. Im pretty sure I will want a digital tuner now that i have digital cable. I wanted to get 1 with 2 tuners i just dont know whats good or bad. Can anyone suggest a digital dual tuner that your happy with?

I see that i will need a way to communicate to the direct tv reciever. i have an HP MCE remote that I have been using. will this work for direct tv?

Im real excited to get direct tv and upgrade my system just dont know where to start! Thanks in advance for any help along the way!!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Sage User

I use dtv with my sage setup. I use the patersontech.com serial/usb adapters with the d11-500 receivers. I am just using the pvr500 dual tuner cards. These are only analog though. i do see they have the new HDPVR that can record in HD. The PVR appears to have an IR blaster so you may be able to skip the patersontech adapters if the dtv box and HDpvr are going to be in close proximity.

I would assume your MCE remote will still work since you're only changing the source of the input. (i.e. You'll still be using SAGE)

From what I see, the HDPVR only is single tuner. So, if you have 4 digital receivers, you need 4 HDPVR's. I am going by what I see on the specs. I could be wrong on that.

Well I am not sure I provided you with any solid answers, but hopefully this gets you going on the right track.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

yeah thanks! that def got me in the right direction. looks like ill need that usb tv translator. im looking at that pvr500 tuner card and it seems to be what im looking for. I wont be doing HD just yet so i guess analog is fine.
thanks again