SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Sage User

TV can tune Science channel...Sage can't

I recently started having a weird problem...programs on Science channel stopped recording properly. What got recorded was whatever channel the TV was last set to.

I can tune to Science on the TV, and in Sage via the program guide. But recently, when a scheduled show is supposed to record, I get the wrong thing - whatever is on the last TV channel tuned at the time of the recording.

My setup uses a Hauppage Colossus 2 with an IR blaster, to the cable box on Wave broadband. All other channels still record fine.

Any ideas for me to check out?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Customize ->
Scroll less than half way down to "Always tune channel". Probably best to set it to "Yes".

These things usually don't break all on their own. What else (however un-related it may seem) has changed recently? In my case, the gremlin is frequently attributable to the cable co (Spectrum) with their endless software updates to the STB. YMMV.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Sage Icon

Is the science channel the only thing that won’t tune? Or is Sage no longer tuning any channels? Did it happen only once or does it happen every time? Have you changed anything in your setup recently?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-16-2019, 12:54 AM
Sage User

I haven't changed anything in the setup recently. Science channel recorded the first episode of the new Mythbusters...and then missed the next two. Everything else is recording fine.

I took JustFred's advice and that setting was on "No" so I've changed it. Tomorrow is another episode, we'll see if that fixes it. Will update after.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHaas View Post
I haven't changed anything in the setup recently. Science channel recorded the first episode of the new Mythbusters...and then missed the next two. Everything else is recording fine.

I took JustFred's advice and that setting was on "No" so I've changed it. Tomorrow is another episode, we'll see if that fixes it. Will update after.
That because it Mythbusters Jr add the fav for it
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 PM
Sage User

JustFred...that worked! Mythbusters Jr. recorded correctly tonight.

SHS...yes, I know it's Mythbusters Jr., and I had it set up right. It's kind of the every-maker-kid's-dream version of Mythbusters...six kids get to build with Adam. Even has the same announcer. Yay!
Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
JustFred...that worked! Mythbusters Jr. recorded correctly tonight.

SHS...yes, I know it's Mythbusters Jr., and I had it set up right. It's kind of the every-maker-kid's-dream version of Mythbusters...six kids get to build with Adam. Even has the same announcer. Yay!
Then your problem has to do with your STB which was been reset so in stead of it going back to last know perv channel which it was on which was Science channel that SageTV record from last which it think it still on so no channel change was made when in fact it was on diff channel which use lee channel 2 or what ever when it reset or reboot it self due to nightly update or week update.

Last edited by SHS; 01-17-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Sage User

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

My explanation is slightly different. I'm reading between the lines of your original post, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I suspect that "What got recorded was whatever channel the TV was last set to" actually means that you manually controlled the STB (not Sage, and not the TV's internal tuner) via your infrared remote. Of course, Sage has no way of knowing that you directly took control of the STB.

Setting "Always tune channel" = Yes tells Sage to burp out the IR commands each and every time it goes to use a channel. I recall that Yes was the default setting; no guess why yours was "No".
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM
Sage User

JustFred, that makes sense. I have just one STB, it's split between the TV and Sage.

So here's what I understand happened, based on this info:
- Sage records show on Science Channel.
- Human later turns on TV, changes STB to another channel.
- When Sage goes to record its next show on Science Channel, it thinks it's already there and doesn't try to change the channel...and records whatever show is on the channel the human watched.

At some point I went through all the different options and, since there are some shows that are on the same channel back-to-back, (One show at 8:00pm, another at 8:30pm) figured I didn't need to re-tune the same channel. I was losing a bit of the end or beginning of the shows when it re-tuned the channel

As it turns out, this has an unexpected effect...Sage remembers the last channel it tuned, even if it was yesterday.

Is there a setting for not re-tuning the channel for back-to-back shows on the same channel?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
JustFred, that makes sense. I have just one STB, it's split between the TV and Sage.

So here's what I understand happened, based on this info:
- Sage records show on Science Channel.
- Human later turns on TV, changes STB to another channel.
- When Sage goes to record its next show on Science Channel, it thinks it's already there and doesn't try to change the channel...and records whatever show is on the channel the human watched.

At some point I went through all the different options and, since there are some shows that are on the same channel back-to-back, (One show at 8:00pm, another at 8:30pm) figured I didn't need to re-tune the same channel. I was losing a bit of the end or beginning of the shows when it re-tuned the channel

As it turns out, this has an unexpected effect...Sage remembers the last channel it tuned, even if it was yesterday.

Is there a setting for not re-tuning the channel for back-to-back shows on the same channel?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
there are some shows that are on the same channel back-to-back, (One show at 8:00pm, another at 8:30pm) figured I didn't need to re-tune the same channel. I was losing a bit of the end or beginning of the shows when it re-tuned the channel
Having a single STB results in a set of conflicting requirements.

"Always tune channel = Yes" has the benefit that Sage always sets the STB to the correct channel, no matter who previously diddled with it (including your cable company). In my case with Spectrum, I've found the need to also send a PowerOn command to the box since Spectrum frequently updates their firmware (which powers the STB down). Brief power outages create the same issue.

Assuming that programs start/end exactly when the guide says they will, Always Tune Channel should only result in 6-10 seconds of program loss while the STB and Colossus re-acquires the new video stream.

My personal preference is to always use Sage to control the STB, even for watching live TV. This gives Sage (almost) full control of the STB. Side benefits: 1) not having to switch the TV's inputs, 2) a single UI, and 3) faster, easier navigation between live/recorded/imported content. YMMV.

On the other hand, I'm unaware of any combination of **settings** that are going to compensate for back-to-back programs that don't actually start/end on schedule. The only reliable solution to that problem involves a 2nd (or 3rd) capture device and STB. Sage is then able to extend the end/start of either (or both) program and simultaneously record on more than one device during the overlap.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Sage Icon

I agree with Fred. I would dedicate the STB to SageTV exclusively, and use Sage on your television with an extender/miniclient. That's the way the system was designed to operate.