SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Sage Icon

New to Nvidia: How to switch between displays?

I need some serious help from experienced Nvidia card users.......
Sorry for the long post.

For the last 2.5 years I was running and ATI 9600XT card.
To this I had an SDTV connected via SVideo and 720x576 res and a PJ via VGA using a 1280x720 res.

In the ati catalyst control centre it was possible to enable just one(no dual view, clone, extended or anything like that) of the TV or PJ, make the necessary adjustments as far as res and refresh rate is concerned and save a User Profile.

From SageTV, using the Dynamic menu, I could issue a command to load each profile. Effectively, I was able to switch from the TV to the PJ via the remote.

I have now retired my 9600XT card and installed an Gigabyte Nvidia 7600GS passively cooled card with the latest Purevideo HD beta drivers.

With some difficulty, I managed to first have just the TV enabled and configured, then the PJ and save the profiles.

Since I couldnt find a way to call up the profiles from the command line, I tied each profile to a hot key and used the autohotkey util to generate a small executable that when called from the commandline, issues the hotkey keystrokes. This way, I linked each hotkey command to the SageTV menu and theoretically I should be good to go.

Unfortunately, the Nvidia drivers are letting me down.

When I try to switch displays without the hotkeys(via the nView Load Profile menu), the profiles load and everyting work fine.

When I tried to use the hotkeys, it works the first time but then the second try to switch back, corrupts the saved profiles which means that no switch happens and the hotkeys associated with each saved profile are lost....... and need to be redefined....

I suspect that it must be a bug or I am doing something the wrong way.

Any hints from someone on how to achieve what I am trying to do one way or another?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, I did the same thing recently...moved from an ati 8500 to an nvidia (but in my case an onboard 6150). I programmed the hotkey in my hauppauge Ir software so a remote key switches between them independent of sage; however I've contemplated doing the same as you....

anyway, the profiles are funny because if you set it to save everything, then the hotkey will only work in that profile, which then doens't work to get to another profile....if you know what I mean....I think I just check the last few items at the bottom of the driver when you select what to save for the profile. Either way, you may need to set up the hotkeys twice for each profile and save then it will work. Clear as mud.

I think what I'm trying to say is that the hotkeys are not global. they need to be created in each profile... There may be a way around that, but I can't remember.

Last edited by ben_95sl1; 11-02-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Sage User

ben_95sl1, Lucas,
I've also been struggling with the same problem the last few days. I contacted NVDIA support, if you want to call it that, and they haven't responded.

I tried Lucas' idea, programe the hotkey "toggle displays" in both profiles , and after a couple tries it worked.

What I found out that was interesting is that if you manually switched profiles, it would delete the hotkey for that profile

My next step is to program the A button on my Firefly remote to swap displays while running SageTV. For some reason, the A, B, C, and D buttons won't run the hotkey.

I'll keep screwing around with this for a few days and post my results.

Last edited by timrob; 11-02-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

the problem is the hotkey becomes part of the profile (not global)....it's not hard to work around, but it sure is confusing for a new nvidia user. You need to setup ALL the hotkeys in each profile.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Sage User

I just got the A button on the Firefly remote to work. Sometimes the swap of displays is a little slow. I think the trick was the dual profile setup. Thanks Lucas.

But, I found a new problem. Sometimes when swapping displays, SageTV shows a all black screen. I can alt-tab to other programs and they are fine. Back to SageTV, sometimes it recovers, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Sage Icon

ben95sl1,

thanks, it sounds logical from a strictly technical point of view but from a human user point of view.....

I will experiment to get it to work.

Timrob,

I am glad it helped you. It took me a while with the ATI setup to get it to work but it worked impressively well. Let's see if Nvidia can be as good. I suspect that it will be a little slower.

Now, about the slugishness and the black screen - I experienced the same thing. In fact, sometimes SageTV exits altogether with a Java error.
It's already with Sage TV support and they are looking at it.

The black screen thing is to do with FSE I believe where the state of the screen when in FSE is not properly carried over to the other display. It could well be a driver issue.

Apart from the better performance, I am starting to regret moving to Nvidia.......

Maybe an ATI x1600 would have been better
Old 11-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Sage Icon

Just noticed that Nvidia released version 93.71 of the drivers......
Old 11-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

yeah, FSE does not work for me either....however I couldn't have 3d accel enabled with my ATI for switching (in overlay mode)....and if you have a video paused/playing in overlay it would also lockup....however I believe it works for me in VMR9 with nvidia.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Sage User

I played with it some more. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't.

I also had SageTV close on me once while swapping displays, but no Java error.

What is FSE?

I'll have to try the new drivers, maybe tonight.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrob
What is FSE?
Fullscreen Exclusive
Old 11-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Sage User

One other thing, kind of off topic, NVIDIA provides a registration change to get rid of that annoying ballon when you computer first turns on. That screwed up my SageTV causing a DirectX error. Luckily I had System Restore on and was able to easily recover.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Sage Icon

Just an update to say that I am happy finally.

Thanks Guys!

I removed the nvidia driver and installed the latest.
It wasn't necessary to use nvidia profiles in the end.

I just mapped one hotkey to switch to TV output and another hotkey to switch to the next display.

This way I can switch from the TV to the projector and back.

For changing resolutions and refresh rates when using the projector, I am using powerstrip custom resolutions. I also had to upgrade powerstrip to the latest version to properly do this with the relatively new nvidia 7600GS. All these are linked to a special SageTV menu with selections for each.

With 3D enabled but FSE off, everything works just like with the old ATI9600XT card.

Video quality is much better though.

When I enable FSE.... after a few (5-6) of rounds of switching back the forth, I get all sort of problems with black screens, SageTV exiting etc.

This is not normal use though so I think I will do a long test with FSE enabled for a few days.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Sage User

Quote:
One other thing, kind of off topic, NVIDIA provides a registration change to get rid of that annoying ballon when you computer first turns on. That screwed up my SageTV causing a DirectX error.
I played with this some more and it wasn't the registration change the caused the problem. When I switched screen resolutions, say from 1280x720 to 640x480, then watch tv, the DirectX error would appear. Changing Aspect Ratio in SageTV and then back again would correct this. This might have more to do with changing back and forth to FSE.

Lucas,
For your PJ settings, when you watch regular SD TV, which settings are you using?
PJ-16:9 or 4:3
Computer 1280x720 or 640x480 or ???
Sage 16:9 or 4:3 or Source

When I watch regular SD TV through my projector, and watch specific shows that are presented in widescreen(example Smallville), I see black side bars, black top/bottom bars, then within that area, another top/bottom bars that are slightly less black(see attached). When a comercial shows, the second set of top/bottom bars goes away. Do you have this same problem? I've tried all the different combinations of settings above, but still have black bars of some sort, except maybe for the commercials.

I forgot to add, this is through an HDMI cable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sidebars with SD TV and PJ.jpg (8.4 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by timrob; 11-06-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Sage Icon

FSE is creating problems for me when switching displays. I am leaving it off mostly and only enabling it after I switch to the PJ and when I am about to watch demanding (from a GPU point of view) content.

Timrob,

My SDTV is set at 720x480 resolution and the Projector at 1280x720 always.

The Display Aspect Ratio is set at 4:3 for both.

On the SDTV things work normally and I switch to the 16:9 AR when viewing 16:9 content.

On the Projector though, I use the 4:3 AR to watch 16:9 content.

To watch 4:3 content on the PJ, I modified the Fill AR to 80% horizontal and 100% vertical and use this.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Sage User

Well, I finally got everything figured out. I had several problems, but I'll list how I overcame each.

1. The A, B, C, D buttons on my Firefly remote wouldn't activate the saved nVidia hotkey. I added the button action to both the Sage and Global profiles. I probably only need to add it to one or the other, but adding it to both seemed to give me higher chance of the function actually happening. I don't know if this is Firefly or nVidia, but now it works about 90% of the time. The second thing I also did was add the functions before the line starting with Identifier ClassName="sage.SpecialWindow". Again, I don't know if this absolutely necessary, but ABCD buttons would only work in Sage if I didn't.

2. SageTV goes black screen when switching displays. Close SageTV before switching displays.

3. nVidia hotkeys are being deleted when swapping displays. Hotkeys are not global as Lucas pointed out. I made sure to save the profile after each hotkey addition.

4. New nVidia drivers version 93.71 frack everything up. I deleted the new drivers. For a bit there, I thought I was going to have to reinstall Windows. I tried installing the drivers 3 times and each time, I would get no video output after swapping displays. Thank goodness for Windows Safe Mode and System Restore.

5. Black bars on top, bottom, and sides. Depending on the TV show, I needed to have SageTV's Aspect zoomed to Source=100%x100%, 4x3=135%x135%, and 16x9=103%x103%. Depeding on the TV show, using one of these 3 settings gives either no black bars or just one set of black bars. Does anybody know how to add this as a hotkey? Currently you have to hit option, then aspect, and finally scroll through each Aspect. I also had to set my TV at 720x480 resolution and the Projector at 1280x720, thanks ben_95sl1.

So when all is said and done, Firefly buttons load the profile for: A=computer, B=Projector, and C=TV, and everything works. I can only hope nVidia eventually release a new hotkey for switching to the next profile, then I'll save 2 buttons on the Firefly remote.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Does anybody know how to add this as a hotkey? Currently you have to hit option, then aspect, and finally scroll through each Aspect.
No idea, but there is an automatic aspect ratio import that allows you to assign the different ratios to specific shows. It isn't any help when watching shows you haven't setup, but for anything you watch on a regular basis it is very nice. For example all of my letterboxed favorites are setup to use one ratio that zooms them to full screen so anytime I watch them the ratio is changed automatically. I have another ratio that is applied as the default to any shows that don't have one specifically assigned to them.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Administrator

In case this helps: v6 has a new "Aspect Ratio Toggle" command that switches to the next AR mode. After using it, the current AR mode is displayed for a short time in the upper right corner of the playback display.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes I also tried the latest nvidia driver with my 6150 and it would not switch back to my TV; atleast it sent garbage over to it, but I believe it was trying to send component signal to the composite/svid. So completely unuseable.

Your 4:3 Tv should be set to 640x480, as 720x480 should actually appear skewed as it is not a 4:3 res.

I have had a few instances where switching displays has not worked properly with sage and I had to restart it...so I will probably be going the same route as you, especially if I hope to get FSE working.

How come my my ati 8500 with component dongle could do most of this painlessly??
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Sage User

I figured out how to use one Firefly button to swap profiles. You can just jump to the next profile, Desktop->PJ->TV->Desktop, using 1 button. The only problem is nVidia is deleting the hotkey only when the TV is launched. I'm saving the profile correctly, so I don't know what's going on. I'll play with it some more.

Another strage thing, don't have the nView Desktop Manager open when using the hotkeys. It was mixing up my profiles. When the TV was on, nView Desktop Manager was still on the PJ profile. Manually selecting a profile fixed this.

ben_95sl1,
Yes, I should have caught that, 640/480=1.333. Playing with Sage's zoom, it's amazing how much of the picture is cut off in regular TV. Red Planet was just on in 16x9. I would say 5-10% of the left/right part of the picture is cut off.

Do you think the ATI or the nVidia has a better picture? I still have translucent bars on the far right and left. Gigabyte says I need to adjust the overscan, which is BS. The bars are on my TV, PJ, and LCD monitor. See attached. I'm still under warranty, so I may return it.

Blade,
Do you have a link for the import?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heroes-vertical lines 2.JPG (53.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Do you have a link for the import?
BTW: most imports are listed here: List of available customizations.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.