SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Watching or Playing any TV crashes Sage V9

This is on a clean install of V9. Set it up to use Schedules direct, got the channel list but as soon as I tried to watch a channel I got an error that, per other posts, indicated I needed to install the LAV filters. Did that.

Once those were installed I started getting hard crashes when trying to watch live tv. No error, just crashes to desktop. It'll restart ok afterwards and I can play other videos I have in various formats, AVI, Quicktime, Mkv, etc. If I try to play a TV show previously recorded under v7 however it again crashes. Those same previously recorded show play fine outside of Sage, using VLC.

Before installing the LAV filters I played around with the Setup/Detailed Setup/Audio-Video, trying different settings. I don't know what the default settings were but they were are all set to "Default" when I was getting the crashes, except "Media Player for non-MPEG", that's set as Direct Show.

I did change debug_logging to "True" in the properties file but while it created a log file, it's empty. In another post dealing with crashes the hs_err_pid_xxxx.log file was requested. I've attached that.

I've since changed "MPEG2 Video Decoder Filter" to Microsoft DTV-DVD and that works, sort of. It doesn't crash but the video is small, taking up only about half of the screen. They were full screen in V7. I changed the Aspect Ratio settings but that didn't help.

Under that setting there's an option to show "All Decoders" which brings up a long list. I suspect one of those will resolve the issue but I have no idea which one it might be.

Any help will be appreciated.

Edit: Win 7 x64, 6GB, i5
Attached Files
File Type: zip hs_err_pid2332.zip (12.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

So you're on the right path. Since you have installed LAV, you should change all the video decoder filters under Detailed Setup->Video/Audio to "LAV Video Decoder". Do this by selecting the "All Filters" and then finding the LAV Video decoder in the resulting list. You can also change the audio decoder filters to "LAV Audio Decoder". There's also an additional video decoder to change under the Detailed Setup->DVD menu item. Finally your video render should be set to EVR for best performance.

Once that is complete, Sage should use LAV as your decoder. There are a couple items in LAV you can set to help with performance. Run the LAV Video Configuration from the start menu. You can try setting the hardware decoder to DXVA2 (copy-back) but this depends on your video card capabilities. If that causes problems you can change the hardware decoder setting to none to use the CPU.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks! That seems to have done the trick. The only glitch I noticed in checking several channels is a couple times the audio was out of sync by at least 1 sec, maybe 2. It only happened on one channel and leaving and coming back to the same channel fixed it. It'd be pretty irritating if it happened on one of the recordings though. Any ideas on that?