SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Well, except for having to swap discs wne you wanted to actually watch a BD, or play a game...
Unless you do as I do: Rip Iso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
With the PS3 there is no reason to attach an external drive.
If you could run sage by simply loading the Sage BD, then it would be a great single unit solution.
I agree. It would be if sage developed which I think is highly unlikely.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM
SageTVaholic

The poitn being, if you are ripping ISO's, it really doens't matter if the extender has a BD drive on it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The poitn being, if you are ripping ISO's, it really doens't matter if the extender has a BD drive on it.
except that you might not rip everything... like rentals... or a friend brings a movie over... uh hold on for 30 min while I go rip this on the computer in the basement, then we can watch it... oh and by the way, we can't watch any of the bonus material or even use the scene selection menu ...

I would just like my next sage client, er I mean extender to include a BD drive, whether it be a HD300 or HD200plus with a USB BD or a PS3.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 AM
Sage Icon

And as far as "Sage would rather sell you an extender"... then price the PS3 client software for the same margin as an extender... same margin, no hardware developement, sourcing, warrany cost, out of warranty concession (power supply anyone)

Just seems like it would be a sweet little product
Also keep in mind that a BD-J client would not be limited to the PS3, but almost ANY BD player... <$100 will be very common in the near future...
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
except that you might not rip everything... like rentals... or a friend brings a movie over... uh hold on for 30 min while I go rip this on the computer in the basement, then we can watch it... oh and by the way, we can't watch any of the bonus material or even use the scene selection menu ...

I would just like my next sage client, er I mean extender to include a BD drive, whether it be a HD300 or HD200plus with a USB BD or a PS3.

I stream when my friend brings a Blu ray.

Add the blu ray rom as UNC path in videos.
The downside is that sage picks up the longest m2ts file and you have no access to special futures. But I do not care about that.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM
SageTVaholic

I play direct from the mapped drive as well. Works gret (though, I actually DO have full menu and BDLive support)...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I play direct from the mapped drive as well. Works gret (though, I actually DO have full menu and BDLive support)...
As I mentioned I never cared about the extras so I never looked into the full menu.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Have I missed something??? How do you have menu and BDlive support?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to devinteske Send a message via AIM to devinteske Send a message via MSN to devinteske Send a message via Yahoo to devinteske
Linux Support on PS3 being Removed?!

(/me silently grabs the wheel and eases the conversation back on-topic)

A bit of sad news today, I'm afraid (see below link).

ARTICLE: It no longer does everything: no more Linux on PlayStation 3
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...=microblogging

In short, on April 1st (yes, in less than 3 days) Sony will issue yet-another software update (probably as a direct-answer to the hacking of the hypervisor) that will remove the ability to install Linux on your PS3.

Still to-be-determined is whether this will also remove the ability to boot into an existing Linux install. I doubt that Sony would be so calloused as to do such a thing, and is thus likely only removing support to install Linux (meaning, if it's already installed, you can probably continue to boot into it at your leisure).

However, this is bad for many reasons. First, it means that if my PS3 ever needs replacing, I may find myself unable to reinstall.

Not to fear, however! Pending a status-update confirming one's ability to boot into an existing Linux installation, I am quick to point out that a cloning of the internal PS3 hard disk should be a suitable work-around. I can't imagine that the new firmware would prevent anybody from simply ghosting the old Linux install onto a new disk and then being able to boot into that Linux install (again, assuming that they don't take away the ability to boot into an existing install).

If I'm wrong, and they take away the ability to boot into Linux altogether, then the effort will be seriously hampered (but not altogether dead). For example, the BD-J based effort could still work in a PS3 (or any BD-J compliant device for that matter).

Oh, a comment for a previous poster whom claims that any/all hypothesized products here (BD-J based Placeshifter, PPC Linux Placeshifter, etc.) can only be created by Frey Technologies... incorrect. Other posters have already chimed in to say that this is not correct and so I will not fan the flames too much, but just wanted to add some technical details that would further give credence to the idea of a 3rd-party developer being able to port a closed-source product:

BD-J based Placeshifter:

The BD-J standard is a sub-set of the standard Java API with some additions. A standard Java application can be ported to run on the BD-J platform often with little-to-no modification. Only when the Java application makes calls to unimplemented API routines is modification necessary and often times only to use a similar routine in place of the less-secure one.

I could see someone other than Frey Technologies producing a BD-J based SageTV Placeshifter IF (and only IF) someone first produces a product that allows one to run unmodified standard Java apps in a BD-J wrapper. Said product would be a type of emulator that implements enough of the x86/PPC JVM API that it essentially bridges the gap between the full-fledged JVM byte-code and the BD-J runtime environment. This would be no small undertaking but does seem to be inevitable as the BD-J specification stretches its wings and expands into the BluRay player market.

PPC Linux Placeshifter:

This is actually quite trivial. I've already been running the x86 Linux Placeshifter on Yellow Dog (PPC) Linux on my PS3 for months under qEMU. Given proper instructions, you could too. However, it's not a fully functioning solution (no video -- got stuck at recompiling jogl).

Just remember, ... just because you can't envision how something is achievable doesn't mean in anyway that (a) it's impossible, (b) only achievable by the authors, or even (c) difficult to achieve by a wide audience that is properly trained/experienced in getting said results. For-as large as the number of impossibly difficult problems exist in this world, there are an equally large number of persons training to tackle said problems. Translation: no task is too difficult to be solved -- just put more monkeys on more typewriters!

Oh, and by the way... if you wanted Linux on your PS3, it might be prudent to do so before updating your firmware after April 1st.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
SageTVaholic

I was quite unhappy to read that today.... I am still hoping that this is some practical joke. It's not that I use linux on the ps3 very often... but just knowing that I could was enough to push me towards a ps3 vs and xbox 360.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

You did notice the day it is (that this is supposed to happen) right? Just something to think about.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah... i noticed the day... that's why I said I hope this is just a practical joke... It's sad, but I can certainly see Sony doing this... espeically given how they appear to have the midas touch of royally screwing up good things....
Old 03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, any other day I wouldn't give it a second thought, but on 4/1 without an Sony PR...
Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Have I missed something??? How do you have menu and BDlive support?
Sorry, missed this question til the thread was bumped back to the top.. I use ArcSoft TMT3 for BluRay playback. That's how I have full menu and audio support. I can launch them from sage with my plugin though (check the downloads section of my profile).

Old 05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Somebody on AVS posted this, a BD-Live network media player app:
http://www.rayinblu.com/

If they can do it, I see no reason Sage couldn't...

Tags
bd-j, bdj, client, extender, ps3