SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 AM
Sage User

New at sagetv. Problem with DVB hdhomerun

Hey

I am new here and have recently switch over to sagetv v7. But i have som problems with seing tv in sagetv. My tv tuner is a HDhomerun it works fine in HDhomerun quicktv and in mediaportal. But i can not getting it to with in sagetv. Does anyone have any idea of how to get it to work in sagetv?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Try rescanning all the channels from the HDHR setup program, then remove it as a source in sage setup and readd.

I had a similar issue and this fixed it.

Cheers

Mark
Old 10-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Check out the instructions on the Silicon Dust web site for setup with SageTV. That should be a good starting point. If you have done that and it didn't work, post back.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Sage User

Thank you for that quick responds. I have tried the instructions on the silicondust website. but it does not help any bit at all. I installed v6.6 and after a couple of tries i could find my channels but when i try to watch some of my channels i just got a black screen witch say no signal, but in HDhomerun gui is say signal strength 100%, signal quality 100% and symbol quality 100%.
What am i doing wrong? or is there a bug in v7 ?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Sage Icon

this exceprt is taken directly from Opus guide found at the bottom of his sig. I know it is for v6.6, but should still help you.

Check out page 168 of that guide and see if it helps. there are also a few links to follow in the guide:

Channel Setup Options
Use the Options command to open this menu’s options dialog, with these options affecting this
menu:
Channel Sorting Method – Choose to sort the channel list by Channel Number,
Channel Name, or Channel Description. The enabled channels can be placed at the
front of the list by checking the List Enabled Channel First option. This sorting option
affects how channels are listed on this menu and the channel order used on the Remap
Channel menu.
Automatically Enable Channels Newly Added to EPG Lineups – Choose whether
channels that have been added to an EPG lineup are automatically enabled or not. The
option is initially enabled, but you may wish to disable it if new channels are often not
viewable on your system. This option is also available in Detailed Setup: Customize
Settings.
Remapping Stations for EPG data using ATSC or QAM Digital Tuners
SageTV is often not able to automatically determine the Zap2it station call letters when
configuring an ATSC or QAM digital tuner source. When this happens, the Program Guide may
either contain No Data for some channels or it may list EPG data only for the next couple days
from the broadcast stream. While configuring these channels, you should highlight the channel in
Channel Setup, choose Remap this Channel, then remap the station, choosing the station name
that matches the listings for your lineup on the Zap2it website. See the Remap Channel menu for
details. Example: a scan might find WCBS-DT, but the actual Zap2it name for the channel is
WCBSDT, so WCBSDT may need to be selected from the list of stations when remapping the
station. Zap2it stations have IDs greater than or equal to 10,000.
When configuring the SiliconDust HDHomeRun (HDHR) on a Windows PC for QAM tuning,
channel setup includes first using SiliconDust’s channel editor to scan and remap channels.
SageTV can then use that data to automatically remap the QAM channels for an HDHR tuner.
For ATSC tuning, he HDHR scans for channels in SageTV just like any other digital ATSC
tuner. This setup process is kept up to date in the hardware section of the SageTV forums:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
The topic titled “Tuner Configuration Tips & Instructions” links to the HDHR instructions and to
tips about configuring other tuners:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35004

This second link above will be especially useful....
Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsbaek View Post
What am i doing wrong? or is there a bug in v7 ?
Which version 7 build are you using? A couple builds back there was a problem with setting up the HDHR with a fresh SageTV install. Also make sure your HDHR drivers are up to date because that was part of the problem.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Sage User

I am using version 7.018. When i use the wizard to configere the tv source i offen get en error saying "there was a Capture Error In playback. Details: ERROR (-2,0x80004005): there was a problem using a Sagetv component. Please re-install the sagetv application". So the first few time i reinstalled SageTV but that did not help at all. I got the same error again.
I have also followed the guide on Sillicondust webside and the guide on this forum.
What am i doing Wrong?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM
SageTVaholic

You may want to try it with this DShowcapture.dll This was provided after issues were discovered. You may also want to try using the SIliconDust utility and go to the advanced tab and reinstall the BDA components. Make sure you scanned both tuners in the utility before using Sage.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Sage User

I have now tried with the new dshowcapture.dll file. But sadly it is still not working. I still get this capture error. And i have used the silicondust utility every time i have tried to get it to work.

I really appreciate your help and quick answers.

What i have done is.
First install the hdhomerun.
Go through the HDhomerun setup. setup where i live and scan for channels. And making sure that no one of the channels have the same guide id or name. And making sure the channels are named correct.
All this goes without any problem at all. I can watch my tv channels via the quickTV that comes with the HDhomerun installation. And I have allso tried to install MediaPortal there it works just fine too.
Then i install SageTV, the dll file and tries to go though the config. wizard when i select one of the 2 tv-tuners from the HDhomerun and it goes to the next slide and i click on "digital tv tuner" that is where i get the error that says "Capture Error (-2,0x80004005)"

Anyone have any other ideas of what i should to to get it to work?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Getting the exact same thing as you. Tried removing and resintalling everything, no joy. Also on the .18 beta with the updated dll.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Sage User

Okay so it's not just me who gets this error. Have you had it working before?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

It was working fine on beta 15 and 16.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

One possibility, I noticed you had been using Media Portal, did you make sure that you reconfigured the HdHomerun config utility to use SageTV as the 'Application' before doing the channel scan? That ensures that the HdHomerun tool will look for the SageTV folder, and drop the scan data there. You don't need that for an ATSC source, since SageTV will scan it directly, but SageTV does not actually do the QAM scan, just uses the result of the HdHomerun's config tool channel scan, and expects to find the '*.scn' files in its own folder.

Last edited by RobJ; 10-08-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Correction: change .frq to .scn
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What i have done is.
First install the hdhomerun.
Go through the HDhomerun setup. setup where i live and scan for channels. And making sure that no one of the channels have the same guide id or name. And making sure the channels are named correct.
All this goes without any problem at all. I can watch my tv channels via the quickTV that comes with the HDhomerun installation. And I have allso tried to install MediaPortal there it works just fine too.
Then i install SageTV, the dll file and tries to go though the config. wizard when i select one of the 2 tv-tuners from the HDhomerun and it goes to the next slide and i click on "digital tv tuner" that is where i get the error that says "Capture Error (-2,0x80004005)"
You are in Europe, right? I think I still need to get it figured out whether you would be following the QAM or OTA style from the HDHR setup for Windows instructions.

If you need to scan using the HDHR software first, you need to be sure SageTV has been run at least once before scanning in the HDHR software, as noted in the QAM instructions.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
One possibility, I noticed you had been using Media Portal, did you make sure that you reconfigured the HdHomerun config utility to use SageTV as the 'Application' before doing the channel scan? That ensures that the HdHomerun tool will look for the SageTV folder, and drop the scan data there. You don't need that for an ATSC source, since SageTV will scan it directly, but SageTV does not actually do the QAM scan, just uses the result of the HdHomerun's config tool channel scan, and expects to find the '*.frq' files in its own folder.
Yes that could have been it. but sadly i have remembered to switch back to SageTV in the Silicondust Utility.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You are in Europe, right? I think I still need to get it figured out whether you would be following the QAM or OTA style from the HDHR setup for Windows instructions.

If you need to scan using the HDHR software first, you need to be sure SageTV has been run at least once before scanning in the HDHR software, as noted in the QAM instructions.

- Andy
Yes i live in Europe more precisely Denmark.

I have followed the QAM style for HDHR setup for Windows instructions here at the forum.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34196
I have digital cable TV. So that is why followed the QAM setup. And I have now tried uninstalling both SageTV and HDhomerun installation. and done exactly as the instructions says. and it is still not working.

What if i write the frq files my self. How do i get sagetv to read them?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you sure yo haven't left the TV Server running from MediaPortal? That could be an issue. If you still have that I would unistall it to make sure that isn't running. WHen you run the SiliconDust utility and since their QuickTV works you should end up with 2 .frq files in the Make sure they don't end up in the virtual store directory if you run Windows 7. Just copy them to where they belong. Scan in Sage TV once you get them in the right directory. You shouldn't have to write them yourself but they are just text files.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Sage User

I have uninstalled MediaPortal and i am sure of that the MediaPortal tv-server also is uninstalled.
I do not have the 2 .frq files and they are not in SageTV directory. And i do not know where they are. And yes i am running windows 7.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have uninstalled MediaPortal and i am sure of that the MediaPortal tv-server also is uninstalled.
I do not have the 2 .frq files and they are not in SageTV directory. And i do not know where they are. And yes i am running windows 7.
Actually, the HDHR software creates *.SCN files. Do you have those?
Sage will create *.FRQ files based on these when you scan for channels inside the Sage program (but if it can't find the SCN files, the FRQ files probably won't get created).

Their location will be different, depending on whether you have UAC enabled in Windows, where you installed Sage, and which version of the Silicon Dust software you have.

In Sage 6 or earlier, the SCN files needed to be in the Sage folder (typically c:\program files\SageTV\SageTV\). Starting with Sage 7, I think Sage will look in either this SageTV folder or the Virtual Store (depending on whether UAC is enabled or not).

With some of the older Silicon Dust software, if you had UAC enabled, but installed SageTV somewhere other than the default program files location, it would not create the scan files.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Actually, the HDHR software creates *.SCN files. Do you have those?
The .scn files are not created for OTA in the US; only for QAM on Windows in the US. I was told today that scn files are not created for the DVB version of the HDHR tuner used in Europe. Since korsbaek is in Denmark, I'm assuming this is the DVB version of the tuner.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Tags
hdhomerun