SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD200/300 playback and AVCHD question

I have the WDTV Live and am considering the HD300 or the HD200 for a better interface of playback of recorded shows from Sage Media Center. (The ability to output video at source resolution is a nice bonus.) I am hoping to sell my WDTV Live if the Sage does everything I need. I am using a HDHomeRun tuner.

Couple of questions:

1) Does the HD200/300 have a zoom feature when playing back content?

This is useful for watching wide screen content broadcasted in 4:3. My WDTV Live have 1x, 1.1x, 1.2x, etc which is quite nice for this purpose.

2) Does the HD200/300 allows gapless playback of AVCHD files?

I can play AVCHD .mts files using my WDTV Live, but there's a long pause (3-4 sec) when it goes to the next file. I am hoping the Sage can do better in this regard. It needs to start processing the next file before the current file is finished playing. I am not expect this in standalone mode, I want to know if it works in Extender mode with Sage MC.

3) How much slower is the HD200 vs the HD300 for my needs? I like to get the HD300, but the extra $70 and that it runs hotter does concern me a bit..

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoose View Post
I have the WDTV Live and am considering the HD300 or the HD200 for a better interface of playback of recorded shows from Sage Media Center. (The ability to output video at source resolution is a nice bonus.) I am hoping to sell my WDTV Live if the Sage does everything I need. I am using a HDHomeRun tuner.

Couple of questions:

1) Does the HD200/300 have a zoom feature when playing back content?

This is useful for watching wide screen content broadcasted in 4:3. My WDTV Live have 1x, 1.1x, 1.2x, etc which is quite nice for this purpose.
Not in so many words, but it allows you to define custom aspect ratio modes with arbitrary crop settings that work perfectly for all sorts of weird content. Also it has a few built in modes including at one that's good for stuff like that.

Quote:
2) Does the HD200/300 allows gapless playback of AVCHD files?

I can play AVCHD .mts files using my WDTV Live, but there's a long pause (3-4 sec) when it goes to the next file. I am hoping the Sage can do better in this regard. It needs to start processing the next file before the current file is finished playing. I am not expect this in standalone mode, I want to know if it works in Extender mode with Sage MC.
It works that way (seamless) for BDs, but i have no idea about the AVCHD format.

Quote:
3) How much slower is the HD200 vs the HD300 for my needs? I like to get the HD300, but the extra $70 and that it runs hotter does concern me a bit..
In extender mode it's not that much faster, it is faster but not as dramatically as in standalone mode, well at least if you're not running a lot of customizations. I'm not sure I agree that it runs hotter. It definitely gets warm, but I think the chips are more directly tied to the case so the case dissipates heat more directly. My HD200 in my (open) equipment cabinet gets rather warm too.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

I bite the bullet and ordered the HD300. How fast does Sage ships the unit? I am in SJ, CA. Hope I'll get it this weekend.

Does HD300 requires v7 of Sage MediaCenter? Or will it work with v6.6? Thanks!