SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVRs Failing

Hi, folks.

After many years of reliable service, and a number of replacement power supplies, it appears that my HD-PVRs are really failing now. Of the original three, only one now remains functional. The others power up, and have no unusual lights, but they won't negotiate a proper USB connection. Sometimes, nothing appears to happen at all, but other times Windows indicates "USB Device Not Recognized". Even if I move the working power and USB connections from the one working unit to one of the duds, nothing happens.

One of the units failed about 6 months ago, and the second has now failed. Naturally, I fear that the third one may not last much longer. So, I recently picked up a used unit on Craigslist, only to find the same problem with that one! Again, the power supply is not the problem in this case, as I can swap power supplies among the three, and the one HD-PVR works with any of the three power supplies, but the other two won't work with any.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any potential solutions?

If not, what's the recommended alternative, these days?

Thanks,
Shaun
Old 01-21-2019, 11:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdl View Post
Hi, folks.

After many years of reliable service, and a number of replacement power supplies, it appears that my HD-PVRs are really failing now. Of the original three, only one now remains functional. The others power up, and have no unusual lights, but they won't negotiate a proper USB connection. Sometimes, nothing appears to happen at all, but other times Windows indicates "USB Device Not Recognized". Even if I move the working power and USB connections from the one working unit to one of the duds, nothing happens.

One of the units failed about 6 months ago, and the second has now failed. Naturally, I fear that the third one may not last much longer. So, I recently picked up a used unit on Craigslist, only to find the same problem with that one! Again, the power supply is not the problem in this case, as I can swap power supplies among the three, and the one HD-PVR works with any of the three power supplies, but the other two won't work with any.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any potential solutions?

If not, what's the recommended alternative, these days?

Thanks,
Shaun
Iím not sure what the recommended ones are, but Iíve been using the hd-pvr2 gaming ones.

Thereís a few other capture cards that have been added recently.

What are your recording source connections?
Component, hdmi, spdif?
SageTV Server: Windows 7 64Bit, Phenom II X6 1090T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3), ATI Radeon HD 4290, 2 x KHX1600C9D3/4GX, 4 x HD-PVR2 Gaming, , 4 x 320GB recording drives, 2 x USB-UIRT, SageTV Server Beta
SageTV Client & 2 x HD-300 Extender.
40.8TB unRaid 6.6.5 media server
Old 01-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think I would also try the 'failed' units on another machine to rule out USB problems on a specific machine?

Not sure if you tried that - I have seen onboard USB ports fail in mainboards.
Curious if you come up with something - i have four units running that have been good for many years (other than power supply failures).

Also note that power supply failures can still operate the LEDs on the units but they won't record properly. I think the Amperage goes low on the transformers and it messes up the HD-PVRs functions.
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.7.2/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:SA3250HD, SA4250HD, SA4250HD, CISCO4642HD, ROGERS CABLE-ON, CANADA
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I wish I would have known what dstanley posted a few years ago! My server had been rock solid for 5 plus years and then I started getting intermittent failed recordings. I was powering 2 hdpvr's off the pc power supply so power wasn't an issue although I did try another power supply but no different. I tried all kinds of things to fix it but what finally worked was just replacing the motherboard with the exact same one I found used on ebay. I used my existing memory and hooked everything up the exact same as before.
After that my recordings were solid again.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
I think I would also try the 'failed' units on another machine to rule out USB problems on a specific machine?

Not sure if you tried that - I have seen onboard USB ports fail in mainboards.
Curious if you come up with something - i have four units running that have been good for many years (other than power supply failures).

Also note that power supply failures can still operate the LEDs on the units but they won't record properly. I think the Amperage goes low on the transformers and it messes up the HD-PVRs functions.

Last edited by davidb; 01-22-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage User

I switched to the Hauppauge Colossus after Multiple HD-PVR Devices fail.
I tried several other computers in my house and multiple known good power supplies before I gave up on them, I even vented the lid and put a fan on the last one the failed.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, folks. I'm pretty sure that the USB ports are fine, as I have moved the dead HD-PVRs to the port the one working HD-PVR is on, and they will don't work. Also, I have moved the working HD-PVR to the ports that the non-functional units were on, and it still works fine. I'll try them on an entirely different computer, though, just to be doubly sure.

I guess I'll consider switching to Colossus. Can they coexist with HD-PVRs?

Cheers,
Shaun